The Student Room Group

Punishment for Rape - Death?

Well yeah, it was kind of formulated from the other thread.

But the punishment for rape of any kind (Male/Female/Child) should be a public death.

In this way it would act as a proper deterrent rather than just a few years at Her Majesty's Hotel.

When punishments are harsh, society remains safe.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by .meh.

But the punishment for rape of any kind (Male/Female/Child) should be a public death.

In this way it would act as a proper deterrent rather than just a few years at Her Majesty's Hotel.

Discuss.

What counts as "rape", for this purpose?
The Death Penalty has proven to be an ineffective deterrent.

The State shouldn't be killing its own citizens.

/end thread
I don't really agree that the state should have the right to kill people. Not because rapists deserve to live - I think they all deserve to die, but what if an innocent person was sentenced to death? I know a chance is like one in a million but still, it'd be awful.
lol for death penalty for rape, one of the most shaky convictions there are

hey maybe the bitches who cry wolf would be deterred by the fact that you could have someone killed in the process
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere
The Death Penalty has proven to be an ineffective deterrent.

The State shouldn't be killing its own citizens.

/end thread

Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and among the lowest users of illegal drugs anywhere in the world.

Death penalty and capital punishment has obviously worked there no?
Reply 6
Even America decided this was beyond the pale...
Reply 7
Death is far too extreme in any situation. No one on earth is superior; as a result, it is an impossible decision to say when someone deserves to die or not.

As someone vaguely mentioned already, there are a lot of false accusations of rape - societies response is usually to believe the victim.
Not for rape. They're not equivocal.

IMO, capital punishment should be used sparingly, and only in situations when someone poses as such a threat they might kill someone. And then it should only be done if there is no chance of rehabilitation into some form of a useful human being.
No, the death penalty is barbaric. Rehabilitation is the best route to take IMO.
Original post by .meh.

Discuss.

I concur. Rape is a particularly nasty violation of another. Let the nonces' heads roll provided there is undeniable evidence, enough to double-prove their guilt.

Why on Earth would anyone want to live side-by-side with scum? Rehabilitation of most rapists is pointless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Iorek
Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and among the lowest users of illegal drugs anywhere in the world.

There is capital punishment in the USA who have one of the highest crime rates. In this case A doesn't necessarily cause B.
Original post by Iorek

Singapore is hardly a regular case, there are enormous cultural differences between Singapore and here. Better to look at the US: the States which retain the death penalty have much higher crime and murder rates than the ones that don't.
The death penalty is essentially state sponsored murder. Barbaric in the extreme, no thanks.
I believe death should only be used if the person is very dangerous to many people, like a mass murderer or a terrorist. I believe it has been shown before that the death penalty isn't much of a deterrent anyway.
Reply 15
No, the death penalty is silly anyway.
Original post by Iorek

Certainly the death penalty is an ineffective deterrent for `crimes of passion' which you might class rape as. The majority of hangings in Singapore are for drug crimes which I feel is fundamentally wrong on the part of the Singapore state, not least because I'm opposed to the criminalization of drugs, but that's a different argument altogether.
Reply 17
Original post by cttp_ngaf

Original post by cttp_ngaf
What counts as "rape", for this purpose?

Rape = Forced sexual intercourse with another individual who didn't consent to the act.

For those that are saying what about if he was innocent; then how about we make the evidence required more difficult to obtain. For example, we do lab analysis for forensic evidence of sexual activity with the guy, as well as other signs, such as forced entry or bruising around certain areas (I don't know the signs of rape), and then we look for at least one witness if there is any doubt, if there is doubt in this witness then we present another?

But don't you guys agree also that if the punishment is harsher that society remains safe? Especially used as a deterrent, for example, if they made the death penalty in America open to the public.
Original post by Addzter
No, the death penalty is barbaric. Rehabilitation is the best route to take IMO.

Rehabilitating a rapist? The state should rehabilitate thieves, drug addicts, even paedos who haven't played with children yet, but if you rape someone you should lose your chance once and for all and rot in prison.
Reply 19
Castration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending