The Student Room Group

Punishment for Rape - Death?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Not sure. However when it comesto sex crime its bexcoming more and more evident rehab does not work
Original post by RabbitCFH
Rehabilitating a rapist? The state should rehabilitate thieves, drug addicts, even paedos who haven't played with children yet, but if you rape someone you should lose your chance once and for all and rot in prison.

How is keeping someone in prison for life advantageous to rehabilitating them and reintroducing them into society?
Original post by Addzter
How is keeping someone in prison for life advantageous to rehabilitating them and reintroducing them into society?

Why would you want to rehabilitate reintroduce a rapist into society? He had his chance, he ****ed up. If I see a hot girl, I don't jump on her. I can control my urges. If someone else can't, well, it's his choice and he'll have to pay for that.
Original post by HaHaLOL
I dont think the death penalty is appropriate in any situation no matter what the circumstances. I think its a slippery slope which will lead to barbaric and humiliating punishments for all types of crimes.

Just because an individual has committed such an evil act I dont believe this gives others the right to decide that the persons life should be taken, two wrongs do not equal a right.

I don't believe killing itself is a wrong; it depends on who you kill and why. In the case of rapists, a less rapey society is a better society.

Furthermore, how will you know that the individual is actually guilty of the crime accused? how can you ensure that it is not a miscarriage of justice, sometimes 'criminals' are cleared of their crimes many years after their conviction. Admittedly, this only happens for a small proportion of criminals but are you really willing to murder an innocent man?

There should be safeguards - e.g. evidence thresholds, psychological profiling- to ensure that no-one is executed wrongfully. Technology makes the chances of a mistake even smaller. That gap can be closed with improved evidence & sentencing laws.
Reply 24
Original post by thecdon

Original post by thecdon
Castration.

Castration is also a good one, I forgot about that.

How about Murder and Rape. Can we compare the two do you think? Murder is premeditatingly taking someone else's life. Well, isn't rape essentially the same thing?
Original post by RabbitCFH
Why would you want to rehabilitate reintroduce a rapist into society? He had his chance, he ****ed up. If I see a hot girl, I don't jump on her. I can control my urges. If someone else can't, well, it's his choice and he'll have to pay for that.

What's the advantage to society? What's better: Keeping him in prison his whole life and giving him round the clock care and security at the taxpayer's expense, or re-habilitating him in prison and the releasing him back into society at a much lower cost. Plus, our prisons are overcrowded as it is, keeping rapists locked up for their whole lives will exacerbate that problem massively.
Original post by Aack
Death is far too extreme in any situation. No one on earth is superior; as a result, it is an impossible decision to say when someone deserves to die or not.

As someone vaguely mentioned already, there are a lot of false accusations of rape - societies response is usually to believe the victim.

that is the biggest bull**** i've ever heard! http://www.awolau.org/2010/04/05/myth-busters-false-rape-reports/

"92-98 percent of rape allegations are true" and considering only 16-20% of rapes are reported, i don't really understand where you think there are "a lot of false accusations of rape". all these dumbass myths about rape that society perpetuates only allows rape to keep going at the rate it's going, instead of stopping to problem.

as far as taking the side of the victim goes: http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

about 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail.

i'm pretty sure the courts take the side of the rapists, not their victim(s).

Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere
Certainly the death penalty is an ineffective deterrent for `crimes of passion' which you might class rape as. The majority of hangings in Singapore are for drug crimes which I feel is fundamentally wrong on the part of the Singapore state, not least because I'm opposed to the criminalization of drugs, but that's a different argument altogether.

rape is about power, not passion. get your facts straight.
Original post by Addzter
What's the advantage to society? What's better: Keeping him in prison his whole life and giving him round the clock care and security at the taxpayer's expense, or re-habilitating him in prison and the releasing him back into society at a much lower cost. Plus, our prisons are overcrowded as it is, keeping rapists locked up for their whole lives will exacerbate that problem massively.

Release him and let him rape someone again? And what about his victim(s)? I don't think they'd want to see him free.

There would be a much harsher punishment for the rape victim for killing their abuser than for a man who raped someone, which is ridiculous.
Original post by .meh.
Rape = Forced sexual intercourse with another individual who didn't consent to the act.

And what counts as consent, and how are we supposed to determine whether the perpetrator thought there was consent?
Original post by green chica
that is the biggest bull**** i've ever heard! http://www.awolau.org/2010/04/05/myth-busters-false-rape-reports/

"92-98 percent of rape allegations are true" and considering only 16-20% of rapes are reported, i don't really understand where you think there are "a lot of false accusations of rape". all these dumbass myths about rape that society perpetuates only allows rape to keep going at the rate it's going, instead of stopping to problem.

as far as taking the side of the victim goes: http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

about 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail.

i'm pretty sure the courts take the side of the rapists, not their victim(s).

rape is about power, not passion. get your facts straight.

Completely misunderstood my point, but whatever.
Original post by Iorek
Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and among the lowest users of illegal drugs anywhere in the world.

Death penalty and capital punishment has obviously worked there no?

Correlation doesn't imply causation... idiot.

There are 10's of country's who'se laws are stricter than Singapore's and, yet, their murder/rape/drug crimes are extremely high.
Completely misunderstood my point, but whatever.

i don't care what your point is. stop posting stuff that isn't true when other people might believe you.
Reply 32
Original post by iorek

Original post by iorek
singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world and among the lowest users of illegal drugs anywhere in the world.

Death penalty and capital punishment has obviously worked there no?

yay singapore! <3
i don't care what your point is. stop posting stuff that isn't true when other people might believe you.

trolololololol, what?

You're trying to create an argument over semantics, I don't care what kind of crime you class it as, the point I'm making is that the death penalty isn't an effective deterrent nor is it humane.

Great attitude to bring in to a forum discussion anyway :rolleyes:
Original post by dnumberwang
Even for that 2-8% it's better to be safe than sorry, and you know, not kill them?

i didn't say whether i supported the death penalty or not. i was merely aiming to set some facts straight.

trolololololol, what?

You're trying to create an argument over semantics, I don't care what kind of crime you class it as, the point I'm making is that the death penalty isn't an effective deterrent nor is it humane.

Great attitude to bring in to a forum discussion anyway :rolleyes:

again, i wasn't saying i do or don't support the death penalty. but a major problem in, well, pretty much all cultures is people don't see rape for what it's for, which allows for rape to continue to be a major problem without much notice from the media or government.

i myself won't ever support the death penalty because of the chances of an innocent dying, but to say that there are a lot of false rape claims and that the courts take the side of the victim is ignorant of you, and i was trying to point that out.
I think we should go biblical, do unto others as you would do unto yourself. We should rape the rapists...
Reply 36
Original post by spazman21
Correlation doesn't imply causation... idiot.

There are 10's of country's who'se laws are stricter than Singapore's and, yet, their murder/rape/drug crimes are extremely high.

Like where ?:confused:
i didn't say whether i supported the death penalty or not. i was merely aiming to set some facts straight.

again, i wasn't saying i do or don't support the death penalty. but a major problem in, well, pretty much all cultures is people don't see rape for what it's for, which allows for rape to continue to be a major problem without much notice from the media or government.

i myself won't ever support the death penalty because of the chances of an innocent dying, but to say that there are a lot of false rape claims and that the courts take the side of the victim is ignorant of you, and i was trying to point that out.

Yeah, I never said that. Please try to keep up with who says what, it's really not that intellectually demanding.
Capital punishment is the worst crime against humanity to still be regularly committed.
Yeah, I never said that. Please try to keep up with who says what, it's really not that intellectually demanding.

whoops. wrong person. still, the "rape is a crime of passion" bit is utter *******s and an ignorant statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending