The Student Room Group

Wanna do Medicine or business/economics & management at uni. A-Level choice HELP!!!

I really don't know if I want to study medicine or Business/economics & management at uni, so I wanna to take AS-level which I can apply to either if I decide later.

I was thinking of doing:

Chemistry: requirement for med and I love it
Biology: love it too
Math: love it :colone:

And I wan't to choose two of the following:
Futher Maths: Love maths GRR
Economics
Business - heard it is a 'soft' subject'. If it is, then :hand:
physics

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Omg!Rly?
I really don't know if I want to study medicine or Business/economics & management at uni, so I wanna to take A-level which I can apply to either if I decide later.

I was thinking of doing:

Economics
physics

Thanks.

You need to decide - Medicine and Business are two opposite degrees, choose and then I will be able to help you out more :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Part A
You need to decide - Medicine and Business are two opposite degrees, choose and then I will be able to help you out more :smile:

I don't understand. Even if they are opposite, they have similar alevel requirements
Reply 3
I really don't know if I want to study medicine or Business/economics & management at uni, so I wanna to take A-level which I can apply to either if I decide later.

I was thinking of doing:

Economics
physics

Thanks.

I would say do:

Maths,
Chemistry
Biology
& Econ

+ if you can manage it (& it won't affect you getting As/A*s in the above) AS physics.

BTW make you decision between the two paths soon as with medicine you will need to start doing a lot of work experience soon (& you don't want to waste your time).

Good luck! :smile:
OP I suggest:

Bio
Chem
Maths
+ Economics

Original post by Part A

Actually, they are more related than you would think. GPs spring to mind, especially with the changes the coalition government have proposed.
Reply 5
Original post by Ree-Shay
I would say do:

Maths,
Chemistry
Biology
& Econ

+ if you can manage it (& it won't affect you getting As/A*s in the above) AS physics.

BTW make you decision between the two paths soon as with medicine you will need to start doing a lot of work experience soon (& you don't want to waste your time).

Good luck! :smile:

Im actually doing AS and I can do upto 5 subjects

And im gonna decide if I wanna do econ at uni if I really like econ at college. On paper it really interests me.
Further Maths isn't accepted by Medical schools. To help both degree choices, I'd advise you take Economics.

Edit: and AS Physics if you deem it to be necessary.
Reply 7
Chemistry A2
Biology A2
Maths A2
Economics A2
F. Maths AS

My recommendation. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
OP I suggest:

Bio
Chem
Maths
+ Economics

Actually, they are more related than you would think. GPs spring to mind, especially with the changes the coalition government have proposed.

Ok cool, no 5th subject? I might aswell choose FM as maths is pure awesome

Im going to do AS btw
Reply 9
Im actually doing AS and I can do upto 5 subjects

And im gonna decide if I wanna do econ at uni if I really like econ at college. On paper it really interests me.

Then you could finish physics in year 12 (Do the A2) & have an A-level in the bag. No need to FM as its not always excepted.
Ok cool, no 5th subject? I might aswell choose FM as maths is pure awesome

Im going to do AS btw

If you think you can handle it go for it.

I did Maths A-level one year early and it was VERY hard for me to balance all my other subjects. Especially because you will need to factor in work experience + volunteer work etc. These are more crucial for a medicine application then doing 5 AS subject.

Plus a lot of medical schools counts Maths and FM as one subject. Manchester is one, can't remember others. So taking FM (and Maths for that matter) will give you ZERO advantage for a medicine application.

However for a business/economics course I would assume they would be important. Since you like maths a lot, try it. If it gets too much you can always just drop FM.
Reply 11
If you think you can handle it go for it.

I did Maths A-level one year early and it was VERY hard for me to balance all my other subjects. Especially because you will need to factor in work experience + volunteer work etc. These are more crucial for a medicine application then doing 5 AS subject.

Plus a lot of medical schools counts Maths and FM as one subject. Manchester is one, can't remember others. So taking FM (and Maths for that matter) will give you ZERO advantage for a medicine application.

However for a business/economics course I would assume they would be important. Since you like maths a lot, try it. If it gets too much you can always just drop FM.

So would this be better suited would you say

Chem
bio
maths
phy
econ

or 5 AS levels too hard, bear in mind I got A*s in the 4 sciences and I studying has kinda become my hobby.

Need to get out more haven't touch snow for years. Kinda sad I know :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
i wouldn't take further maths, many medical schools count maths and further maths as one a level, so you'd be wasting your time if you decided on medicine.

have you considered a language? respected, and wouldn't be a loss to either degree me thinks.

from the sounds of it though, you don't seem to be that interested in medicine (correct me if i am wrong) but most people i know who are either currently studying medicine/applying to do medicine knew that they only wanted to do medicine before as levels. not that cliché 'ohhh i've wanted to be a doctor since i was 2 years old' , just that they had done their research, and firmly decided that they wouldn't be happy with anything but medicine, whereas you seem to be on the fence.

however, everyone is different. meh. :smile:
So would this be better suited would you say

Chem
bio
maths
phy
econ

or 5 AS levels too, bear in mind I got A*s in the 4 sciences and I studying has kinda become my hobby.

Need to get out more haven't touch snow for years. Kinda sad I know :rolleyes:

Even physics won't make much of a difference for medicine. I took bio, chem, maths and psychology and my sig can tell you the rest. So it doesn't matter if you take all the 'hard' subjects or not, provided you have Bio and/or chem.
By all means, if you feel comfortable doing 5, go for it.

I don't know what you need for economics, but a friend who wants to do it at uni is taking: Chem, economics and physics. So maybe physics is better? :s-smilie:

Make sure you have extra-curricular activities. They are crucial for a medicine application.
Reply 14
You have to be fully committed if you want to do Medicine.
Reply 15
Original post by Faith01
You have to be fully committed if you want to do Medicine.

Its just that im confused as I was when i was going through puberty :frown:
Reply 16
Even physics won't make much of a difference for medicine. I took bio, chem, maths and psychology and my sig can tell you the rest. So it doesn't matter if you take all the 'hard' subjects or not, provided you have Bio and/or chem.
By all means, if you feel comfortable doing 5, go for it.

I don't know what you need for economics, but a friend who wants to do it at uni is taking: Chem, economics and physics. So maybe physics is better? :s-smilie:

Make sure you have extra-curricular activities. They are crucial for a medicine application.

What's a sig?
Reply 17
Original post by laurie:)
i wouldn't take further maths, many medical schools count maths and further maths as one a level, so you'd be wasting your time if you decided on medicine.

have you considered a language? respected, and wouldn't be a loss to either degree me thinks.

from the sounds of it though, you don't seem to be that interested in medicine (correct me if i am wrong) but most people i know who are either currently studying medicine/applying to do medicine knew that they only wanted to do medicine before as levels. not that cliché 'ohhh i've wanted to be a doctor since i was 2 years old' , just that they had done their research, and firmly decided that they wouldn't be happy with anything but medicine, whereas you seem to be on the fence.

however, everyone is different. meh. :smile:

I sincerely want to do medicine, and doing it would be a dream come true but I like the idea of econ and setting up a business and im a sole heir to a company as well so EIK!!!
Reply 18
I faced the same dilemma and took:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
F. maths
Economics.

Then dropped econ for A2.

Thought those subjects left it nicely open for me... if I would have decided against medicine, I could have dropped bio/chem.

Quick Reply

Latest