The Student Room Group

Punishment for Rape - Death?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zxh800
Like where ?:confused:

Most African and Middle Eastern countries...
Reply 41
Imprisoning them doesn't stop people being raped
Original post by green chica
whoops. wrong person. still, the "rape is a crime of passion" bit is utter *******s and an ignorant statement.

A crime of passion generally refers to a crime motivated by sudden impulses rather than being premeditated.

It's not too difficult to imagine how an incident of rape could be a crime of passion, even if this isn't the case for all incidences of rape.

Even if you reject this argument, that wasn't even the point I was making anyway, so stop being ridiculously pedantic.
Reply 43
that is the biggest bull**** i've ever heard! http://www.awolau.org/2010/04/05/myth-busters-false-rape-reports/

"92-98 percent of rape allegations are true" and considering only 16-20% of rapes are reported, i don't really understand where you think there are "a lot of false accusations of rape". all these dumbass myths about rape that society perpetuates only allows rape to keep going at the rate it's going, instead of stopping to problem.

as far as taking the side of the victim goes: http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

about 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail.

i'm pretty sure the courts take the side of the rapists, not their victim(s).

rape is about power, not passion. get your facts straight.

I take it you believe Government statistics as well? :rolleyes:
Original post by Aack
I take it you believe Government statistics as well? :rolleyes:

i actually believe the government under reports these things because people under report them, so the statistics on rape and such are probably even higher than is reported on rainn's website (as far as how many men and women are raped/sexually assaulted). as far as the rapists getting convicted...considering the fact that rapists go through the courts which means the government, the statistics are probably fairly accurate. rape isn't a hot topic, so i don't really see why they'd need to massively lie about the numbers.
Reply 45
Original post by spazman21
Most African and Middle Eastern countries...

Africa i don't dispute as i doubt the law has much power in some african countries. But, with regards to Middle Eastern countries would you like to put some stats on that?

Murder per capita:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

Saudi and Qatar are bottom on the list.

Rapes per capita:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

Middle Eastern countries are low down the list.

However, the unreported rapes may mean the number is higher (but still, probably low)
yeah because we live in Saudi Arabia
Reply 47
I don't believe in the death penalty so no, it shouldn't be a punishment for rape in my opinion.
Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere
A crime of passion generally refers to a crime motivated by sudden impulses rather than being premeditated.

It's not too difficult to imagine how an incident of rape could be a crime of passion, even if this isn't the case for all incidences of rape.

Even if you reject this argument, that wasn't even the point I was making anyway, so stop being ridiculously pedantic.

and if we were talking about, say, a racial hate crime in which you were spewing myths about, say, blacks or asians or what have you, would you want me to shut my mouth then?
Reply 49
i actually believe the government under reports these things because people under report them, so the statistics on rape and such are probably even higher than is reported on rainn's website (as far as how many men and women are raped/sexually assaulted). as far as the rapists getting convicted...considering the fact that rapists go through the courts which means the government, the statistics are probably fairly accurate. rape isn't a hot topic, so i don't really see why they'd need to massively lie about the numbers.

Do you not see a flaw in "X% of sexual assaults go un-reported"?
Reply 50
No, castration imo.
and if we were talking about, say, a racial hate crime in which you were spewing myths about, say, blacks or asians or what have you, would you want me to shut my mouth then?

So how am I spewing myths?

Let's recap, because you seem to be a little slow -

1. I have provided the definition of a crime of passion.

2. This definition is applicable to some incidences of rape.

3. Therefore some incidences of rape can be said to be crimes of passion.

Please just go away now, your stupidity is starting to grate.
Original post by Aack

no, i don't actually. i have worked with women and men who have been raped and sexually assaulted, and i'd say that even more than 60% of sexual assaults go unreported. the vast majority of rapes are by an acquaintance or close friend or family member, and the victim is reluctant to come forward about the assault because they feel shame and like they should have known that this would happen or that they if they did something differently they wouldn't have been assaulted. they place all of the guilt on themselves, and feel humiliated. they don't want what happened to become public. you have to have been sexually assaulted or raped in order to truly understand what they're thinking/going through.
Original post by .meh.
Well yeah, it was kind of formulated from the other thread.

But the punishment for rape of any kind (Male/Female/Child) should be a public death.

In this way it would act as a proper deterrent rather than just a few years at Her Majesty's Hotel.

When punishments are harsh, society remains safe.

Discuss.

I think castration is a more suitable punishment if Britian ever introduced a new punishment system - I'm assuming you mean the man is doing the raping. I mean they have harmed someone, yet they haven't killed them. Eye for an eye argument? But then that can escalate into people losing hands for theft and a system like that can be easily abused, with its consequences permanent.

Harsh punishments leads to more corrupt societies IMO.
Reply 54
no, i don't actually. i have worked with women and men who have been raped and sexually assaulted, and i'd say that even more than 60% of sexual assaults go unreported. the vast majority of rapes are by an acquaintance or close friend or family member, and the victim is reluctant to come forward about the assault because they feel shame and like they should have known that this would happen or that they if they did something differently they wouldn't have been assaulted. they place all of the guilt on themselves, and feel humiliated. they don't want what happened to become public. you have to have been sexually assaulted or raped in order to truly understand what they're thinking/going through.

I couldn't even be bothered to read your post because it fell down in the first few words.

If a "sexual assualt" has gone un-reported, how do we know it was an actual sexual assault? All you have to go on is one side of the argument. A sexual assault is nothing until a judge declares it so (for the purpose of it's definition that is).
Original post by Aack
I couldn't even be bothered to read your post because it fell down in the first few words.

If a "sexual assualt" has gone un-reported, how do we know it was an actual sexual assault? All you have to go on is one side of the argument. A sexual assault is nothing until a judge declares it so (for the purpose of it's definition that is).

what the hell? if you want to get that technical, replace "sexual assault" with "alleged sexual assault" and "rape" with "alleged rape". that's a terrible excuse to not read something.
Reply 56
Original post by Aack

Not only that, but the assertion that 92-98% of rape allegations 'are true' is also something only God could know.

And what sort of Christmas day have you had to make this thread in the first place?

I just stumbled on this while Googling about something totally unrelated (foot health) and was intrigued after having just watched an episode of Poirot that deals with issues of justice and forgiveness.

Sad to see so many educated axe sharpeners around.

Happy Christmas!
Reply 57
Original post by cyote
Not only that, but the assertion that 92-98% of rape allegations 'are true' is also something only God could know.

And what sort of Christmas day have you had to make this thread in the first place?

I just stumbled on this while Googling about something totally unrelated (foot health) and was intrigued after having just watched an episode of Poirot that deals with issues of justice and forgiveness.

Sad to see so many educated axe sharpeners around.

Happy Christmas!

Where do I begin....

What an awesome first post.

What an awesome reason to join The Student Room.

What an awesome life you lead!

Welcome...hope you stick around.
Crime doesnt fit the punishment. The death penatly should only be reserved for selective extreme cases.
Reply 59
Original post by Aack
Welcome...hope you stick around.

Thanks for the warm welcome Aack!

I usually only read on forums, but..

Original post by Aack
What an awesome life you lead!

Now I'm really not sure you have sufficient data to make that assertion. :redface:

Take care. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending