The Student Room Group

What if you are an awful person?

I think I am becoming a worse and worse person :frown:

Whereas I feel like I used to be happy, cheerful, helpful and kind - now I am so much more irritable and cruel, and annoying. Unlikeable.

How can you tell if your friends or family like you? It seems like I regret every second thing I say or do, because it was something mean, or selfish, or stupid. I've come home from uni for christmas and it's like I don't fit in any more. I feel like I'm not the "old me" like my family must miss that person. Instead they have someone who is grumpy and rude.

It's so insidious, I don't know when this change happened. The more I think about myself the more intolerable I seem. I try to be a nice person but it's like it doesn't come naturally anymore, like I'm pretending. I feel like there is something bad in me that I can't get rid of.
I can't be myself when I am trying so hard to not be that bad bit, it's like I have no personality to me at all. So it's like a horrible choice between being likeable, and being myself :frown:

It's not normal to think that way is it? It's crazy but sometimes it feels as though even the cat can see through me. Like he doesn't like me. But he's a cat. That doesn't make sense.

Christmas day has been a good day, though. I was quite "good", people liked my presents, I tried really hard to compliment everyone and be very helpful and friendly and I didn't do/say anything too bad. But so many days nowadays I feel like a horrible person.

Has anyone felt this way? Can someone explain it, or help me be more nice? Can you become more horrible if you are stressed or something?

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes I feel like I can be quite cold and uncaring, but then I make fun of fat girls and I feel better.
Anon, I've told you in your compulsive lying thread, you are not a bad person , you are a product of things you have gone through.

GO AND READ ALL I TOLD YOU TO READ!, It's all linked once you realise the reason for your insecurities and behaviour you will be set free.

Only you can give yourself freedom from the prison you built yourself.
Reply 3
Just chill out. Does it make me a bad person that im sexy? :biggrin: NO.
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
Anon, I've told you in your compulsive lying thread, you are not a bad person , you are a product of things you have gone through.

This isn't the same guy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5

GO AND READ ALL I TOLD YOU TO READ!, It's all linked once you realise the reason for your insecurities and behaviour you will be set free.

Only you can give yourself freedom from the prison you built yourself.

I'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about :redface:
I haven't made another thread.
When I'm particularly depressed I become pretty intolerable - mean, grouchy, grumpy and pretty cruel too. It's only when I realise how mean I'm being, do I realise it's because I'm feeling extremely low/negative/depressed.

Is there a chance you may be depressed and just not know it?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about :redface:
I haven't made another thread.

But seriously how can you regret the things you say? we all say stupid, selfish things. **** it, live with it. I'm not giving any advice because im probably the worst person to do that. But your going back to uni soon, so who cares what your friends are like now, because i think that after each stage of your life you meet new people, school - uni - work. And you probably only make like 3-5 life long friends from each time. So just go on doing what your doing and dont worry about what others think..
I can relate. Since enrolling on my course at uni, all I've done is cause hassle with family and friends - unintentionally though. I am never content, regardless of how hard I try to be.
Original post by electriic_ink

This isn't the same guy.

Just thought they were the same person because they had the same number of posts and were both anonymous.
Reply 10
Just thought they were the same person because they had the same number of posts and were both anonymous.

anonymous always have the same number of posts lol
Original post by Anonymous
I think I am becoming a worse and worse person :frown:

Whereas I feel like I used to be happy, cheerful, helpful and kind - now I am so much more irritable and cruel, and annoying. Unlikeable.

How can you tell if your friends or family like you? It seems like I regret every second thing I say or do, because it was something mean, or selfish, or stupid. I've come home from uni for christmas and it's like I don't fit in any more. I feel like I'm not the "old me" like my family must miss that person. Instead they have someone who is grumpy and rude.

It's so insidious, I don't know when this change happened. The more I think about myself the more intolerable I seem. I try to be a nice person but it's like it doesn't come naturally anymore, like I'm pretending. I feel like there is something bad in me that I can't get rid of.
I can't be myself when I am trying so hard to not be that bad bit, it's like I have no personality to me at all. So it's like a horrible choice between being likeable, and being myself :frown:

It's not normal to think that way is it? It's crazy but sometimes it feels as though even the cat can see through me. Like he doesn't like me. But he's a cat. That doesn't make sense.

Christmas day has been a good day, though. I was quite "good", people liked my presents, I tried really hard to compliment everyone and be very helpful and friendly and I didn't do/say anything too bad. But so many days nowadays I feel like a horrible person.

Has anyone felt this way? Can someone explain it, or help me be more nice? Can you become more horrible if you are stressed or something?

Sorry I thought you were the same person because you both had the same number of posts and had both made accounts in November 1999, sorry.

You're not a horrible person at all , this may be a case of 'you think everyone hates you but you really just hate yourself'
Original post by Onge
anonymous always have the same number of posts lol

:eek:

Thanks for that information Onge :biggrin:
Reply 13
Sorry I thought you were the same person because you both had the same number of posts and had both made accounts in November 1999, sorry.

You're not a horrible person at all , this may be a case of 'you think everyone hates you but you really just hate yourself'

I really dont see how someone can hate themselves. It's obviously making this person upset what other people think of him/her which is what making them upset.
Original post by Onge
I really dont see how someone can hate themselves. It's obviously making this person upset what other people think of him/her which is what making them upset.

It's a concept I learnt whilst volunteering with troubled children, it is very possible for someone to hate themselves, google it. When you meet people who say things like 'people don't like me' 'everyone thinks I'm mean' etc it's often a reflection of how they feel about themselves and they begin to feel everyone else see's them in the same light.
Reply 15
It's a concept I learnt whilst volunteering with troubled children, it is very possible for someone to hate themselves, google it. When you meet people who say things like 'people don't like me' 'everyone thinks I'm mean' etc it's often a reflection of how they feel about themselves and they begin to feel everyone else see's them in the same light.

i understand the concept of people hating themselves and that it's possible. I just dont understand how they can get to that stage, I could never imagine hating myself for the actions of others. (in this case people not liking this person). For example i'm always told that i'm vein and an arrogant twt, but i never take it personally, i just laugh it off because it's not in me to take anything seriously. Obviously everyone is upset at one stage or another, but i'v never known anyone to constantly hate themselves for a long period of time, of course it could just be something that this person is going through for a short period of time and will probably go away..
Reply 16
Original post by Onge
i understand the concept of people hating themselves and that it's possible. I just dont understand how they can get to that stage, I could never imagine hating myself for the actions of others. (in this case people not liking this person). For example i'm always told that i'm vein and an arrogant twt, but i never take it personally, i just laugh it off because it's not in me to take anything seriously. Obviously everyone is upset at one stage or another, but i'v never known anyone to constantly hate themselves for a long period of time, of course it could just be something that this person is going through for a short period of time and will probably go away..

I think you underestimate the severity of some psychological disorders. :rolleyes:
Reply 17

I'm not an idiot, i get the whole concept and stages that lead to it. Just seems to impractical to hate ourselves, when really we should be hating the people who make us feel that way..
Reply 18
You just have to accept it. I've accepted that I am a total horrid person and soon it gets easier once you realise that that's just how you are.
Reply 19
Original post by Cuckoo91
I think you underestimate the severity of some psychological disorders. :rolleyes:

Maybe because i never had to deal with any myself or known anyone to do so. Of course evryone feels crap sometimes, and in the case of this person i dont think it's really depression or anything serious, its just a stage their going through that everyone goes through at one time or another. It just depends how seriously we take it and how long it goes on for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending