The Student Room Group

apply during or after a degree?

Hello,
i just wanted to know if we need to apply only after we have finished a degree for graduate entry or during our last year of university?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well there's no harm in applying during your final year, however if you feel you could do with a year out of education and work for example to save some cash, then you could apply after. It depends on what you want at the end of the day.

To answer your question, you can apply either during or after your degree.
Reply 2
Leicester GEM requires a year of full-time health care experience (plus an awarded 2:1 or above), so you can only apply to Leicester at least a year after graduation. As far as I know, Leicester are the only GEM med school which has this kind of black and white policy.
Reply 3
Original post by Beska
Leicester GEM requires a year of full-time health care experience (plus an awarded 2:1 or above), so you can only apply to Leicester at least a year after graduation. As far as I know, Leicester are the only GEM med school which has this kind of black and white policy.

I know Nottingham and SGUL don't specify 12 months, but they do say ''the more the better''.
I think Liverpool's graduate programme also requires you to have already obtained your degree before applying.
Reply 5
Original post by itzme
Hello,
i just wanted to know if we need to apply only after we have finished a degree for graduate entry or during our last year of university?
Thanks

Well, its just a prediction isnt it? Plus the UKCAT is a score you really need to focus on when it comes to grad entry...

A lot of people on my course flunked the ukcat .. hence decreasing their chances for those particular unis.

My opinion- Do well on the degree (get your degree) then you go and work your socks over the admission tests...
Reply 6
Original post by Nutta!
Well, its just a prediction isnt it? Plus the UKCAT is a score you really need to focus on when it comes to grad entry...

A lot of people on my course flunked the ukcat .. hence decreasing their chances for those particular unis.

My opinion- Do well on the degree (get your degree) then you go and work your socks over the admission tests...

well i am already on a gap year (i took one after my second year because i wanted to go abroad for a few months --- things workd out badly and I had to come back to good old England). So I don't want to take another yar out. I am free now till next September when I will be going back to uni =.
Reply 7
Original post by Sparko13
I think Liverpool's graduate programme also requires you to have already obtained your degree before applying.

I won't apply there ---- Liverpool wants a science-related subject at uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Beska

it's a pity: it's one of the few I can apply to!!! :frown: i don't want to do the GAMSAT
Reply 9
Original post by itzme
it's a pity: it's one of the few I can apply to!!! :frown: i don't want to do the GAMSAT

I don't either, but I want to do Medicine and got a 2.2, so I don't have a choice. I hope the hard work for 3 months will pay off in the end.
Reply 10
Original post by snowing
I don't either, but I want to do Medicine and got a 2.2, so I don't have a choice. I hope the hard work for 3 months will pay off in the end.

what degree did you do? I am doing History at the moment, so don't think this will prepare me well for GAMSAT!
Reply 11
Original post by itzme
what degree did you do? I am doing History at the moment, so don't think this will prepare me well for GAMSAT!

Well if you read about the GAMSAT, it will tell you that the GAMSAT is made for both science and non-science graduates. You'll have an advantage at section I and II, whereas a science graduate might have to spend a bit longer preparing for those sections. My degree was in Biomedical Science, it's not going to prepare me for section I and II but that isn't going to stop me from sitting the exam. Stop faffing around and just decide whether you want to sit it or not instead of making excuses for yourself. :colone:
Reply 12
Original post by snowing
Well if you read about the GAMSAT, it will tell you that the GAMSAT is made for both science and non-science graduates. You'll have an advantage at section I and II, whereas a science graduate might have to spend a bit longer preparing for those sections. My degree was in Biomedical Science, it's not going to prepare me for section I and II but that isn't going to stop me from sitting the exam. Stop faffing around and just decide whether you want to sit it or not instead of making excuses for yourself. :colone:

You are right, I should stop making excuses and start working....
would you recommend the very pricey book for the GAMSAT? or maybe A level revision guides?

As for the UKCAT: would the book for the 600 questions be enough or shall I buy more?
Thanks
Reply 13
Original post by itzme
You are right, I should stop making excuses and start working....
would you recommend the very pricey book for the GAMSAT? or maybe A level revision guides?

As for the UKCAT: would the book for the 600 questions be enough or shall I buy more?
Thanks

I'd recommend you get at least Alevel revision guides for Chemistry, Biology and Physics if you've got a history degree. If you can afford it, then yes, get the pricey book for the GAMSAT too. Also, I've read on forums that the Griffiths GAMSAT review is full of useful advice for the exam.
Original post by snowing
I know Nottingham and SGUL don't specify 12 months, but they do say ''the more the better''.

But it doesn't have to be paid employment. Leicester's the only one with such a tight requirement.
Original post by itzme

You've got 9 choices as a History bod if you've got Science A-levels, fewer with no Science A-levels. King's and Newcastle use the UKCAT and have no Science A-level requirements. But King's you need a score of above 700 to be considered really.

You either do GAMSAT and apply or take a year off and study A-levels at your local college at a very high cost. Your choice...
Reply 16
Original post by apotoftea
You've got 9 choices as a History bod if you've got Science A-levels, fewer with no Science A-levels. King's and Newcastle use the UKCAT and have no Science A-level requirements. But King's you need a score of above 700 to be considered really.

You either do GAMSAT and apply or take a year off and study A-levels at your local college at a very high cost. Your choice...

well i did chemistry and biology at higher level for the IB diploma. I got 6 for biology and only 4 for chemistry (they usually need 5/6 for chemistry)
Reply 17
Original post by itzme
well i did chemistry and biology at higher level for the IB diploma. I got 6 for biology and only 4 for chemistry (they usually need 5/6 for chemistry)

Just sit the bloody GAMSAT lol
Reply 18
Original post by snowing
Just sit the bloody GAMSAT lol

I did not say I would not.
I think UEA requires you to have your degree already as well (this is for entry into their 5yr course)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending