The Student Room Group

Who caused the war on Terror: Muslims or American Foreign Policy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
The muslims. It's always the bloody ragheads.

If you are being serious then frankly, you are a bigoted idiot.
Original post by 1chunk
If you are being serious then frankly, you are a bigoted idiot.

Good, glad you think so, whoever you are. You sound like Gordon Brown.
Reply 62
'Terror' is due to so many reasons. One of the prominent ones are the Crusades! Shows what we're dealing with. They want revenge for the Crusades. Laughable.
Reply 63
It was the Muslims and their Jihad.They must kill all infedels
Original post by SomaliMan
Blackwater has its share in blowing people up, even the Afghan government is saying this, those 500.000 killed was before 9/11, before Muslims started blowing infidels up.

You think the idea of Muslim extremists blowing up infidels is a fairly recent one?
Reply 65
Original post by road

Bring proof of that then maybe someone will take you seriously.

It's easy to spout unsubstantiated hate filled comments ....
Original post by 1chunk
Bring proof of that then maybe someone will take you seriously.

It's easy to spout unsubstantiated hate filled comments ....

Infidels? I think he means Dirty Kaffirs
Original post by road

Yees, that's right.
Reply 68
Islamist extremists caused the War on Terror. You can disagree with the US's foreign policy all you like, and I do, but you cannot try to cover up the fact that there are thousands of deluded people, all over the world, willing to kill and harm because a book tells them to.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
Lets get this straight - there is no 'War on Terror' because war itself, is terror.
I voted for US foreign policy in the poll, but it has also got to do with corrupt muslims who commit 'jihad' in the name of Islam.

The extreme islamists are terrorists but so are the USA, NATO forces when they kill 5000000000 (or however many) innocent civilians.
Reply 70
Original post by SomaliMan
No we wouldn't, what would happen is that the US would further violate Muslim countries and nobody would stand up against them, unlike now where they're getting battered in Afghanistan/Iraq.

So it was an action rather than a reaction? So the US kills 500.000 Muslim children, a group of Muslims plan for revenge, carry it out and then what happens is the Muslims fault? I think you;re a defeatist Muslim.

They weren't from iraq, but they were Muslims, who did it because the victims of US Foreign Policy (IRaq) were Muslims.

i think u didnt understand me correctly, i said it was the fault of those so called extremists! i didnt say anything about the common, normal musilms!
It's obvious that when 9/11 happened "islamophobia" would increase, but prior to that followers of Islam were already portrayed in such a militant way through the use of various films this applies to some films even in the 1970's. If Im not mistaken a terrorist plot around an Islamic terrorist was used even in that series '24'. So it really doesn't surprise me that prejudice or suspicions around Islam and it's followers has been heightened. Whenever a culture or religion meet's each other they will always clash. This is nothing new, take the crusades for example it was a result of religions clashing.

When it comes to who caused 9/11 it was down to a various factors, America sponsored Israel throughout the 50's and 60's against Israel with Military aid. This made the Arab nations such as Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Syria etc angry which made oil prices rise exponentially thus causing the first two clashes between the U.S and the middle east. It wasn't down to religion but rather clashing of policies and rising of prices of a neccessity which sparked the first arguments or aggressive dialogues between the afformentioned countries/regions.

Now obviously this animosity, was passed onto the minorities of these countries/regions who sought to rebel against what they considered as imperealist forces taking their Muslim "brothers" homes (I am referring to the capturing of the Golan heights and Sinei peninsula although the latter has since been returned to Egypt and the whole Palestine situation) This of course, only provoked Islamic paramilitaries and "jihadists" to attack foreign or isreali forces when they came into contact. There were several attacks against foreign forces especially, in the 1980's French and U.S forces were attacked in and out of Lebanon. Then the first Gulf war happened, some Muslims saw this as imperialist forces or "kaffirs" coming to disturb holy Muslim land. The idea of an "ummah" emerged which literally means Muslims being a collective community against the rest of the world. Such ideas about Jihad began to emerge as well thus the battle between the U.S and followers of Islam supposedly emerged.

I honestly, wouldn't attribute 9/11 down to the religion its self but rather the people who enforce it I.E Bin laden, that guy with the hook etc.. I am sure three of the Abraimic religions all contain verses that talk about violence in a way that would make it seem as if it was condoning it or encouraging it. But despite such verses there would also be various passages that discourage and explain the consequences of committing violence. At the end of the day, it comes down to people's own interpretations and opinions regarding the actual meaning of the Qur'an itself which causes such attrocities to happen. I mean I would never ever, listen to a religous figure if they began to incite violence. I can use my own head, and understanding to know that is against one of the key principles of this religion.

Atleast that's my thougts regarding the matter, A key principle of Islam is not to force to force it down people's throats and to let other followers of Abramiac religions follow their beliefs without any problem's since it's the same God they are worshipping. These clashes are down to various political issues and disagreements on matters which have previously been mentioned in different paragraphs of this long post. Islam is merely being used as a means to justify these organisations hate and attacks against other countries/regions/people their own interpretations and understanding of the Qur'an.

In Turkey there's a 95% Muslim population yet you very rarely hear about 'Islamic terror' or other religous groups inciting hatred towards others. I think that this is due to the fact that people within Turkey are much more relaxed when it comes to interpreting the meanings and teachings behing the Qur'an and Islam itself. Yes of course, there is terrorism within the country the Kurdish seperatists and state soldiers are fighting in the South East of the country but that is down to various cultural problems and other clashes in interest which have caused it to happen. Religion does not play any part in this particular disagreement or clashing of two minorities.

All in all, everybody thinks they are right. America thinks it's invasion of Iraq and and Afghanistan was justified while "jihadists" think their actions against America and the western world are justified because they see they're actions being regressive or threatening to their religion. Everybody has their own justifications in their own minds basically.

I mean take capitalism for example, some muslims hate the idea of being rich and well off whilst others are starving yet countries such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar the United Arab Emirates literally swim in money and are quite well off. It's all about the various ideologies and meanings that people are willing to accept. Everybody has different reasoning and understanding which makes their actions justified within their own minds. I mean my granddad prays 5 times a day, yet he always preaches religous tolerance. That's because he interprets religion the way he wants to same goes for my Dad and various friends.

Peace to all, humanity should learn to live together in harmony. Yet like I said there will always be a clash between religions/cultures etc... it's been proven in history time and time again.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending