The Student Room Group

I have a First Class Degree in Physics, what do I do next?

I have never known what to do with my life.

I am 24 and have a 1:1 BSc in Physics, but am stumped as to which direction to take. I chose the subject due to interest but also due to lack of direction, as I was aware the Degree can be valued in varible situations. I am not largely motivated by money.

I am more than competent socially, but am a geek at heart, and since finishing Uni I have regressed to working part time and spending the remainder practising advanced mathematics. I do have a keen interest in sound physics, but most jobs in that sector tend to be allocated on a 'who you know' rather than a 'what you know basis'.

Not quite sure what to expect in terms of a reply to this ambigous question, but it feels better just writing it down.

:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rule the world.
Got no idea.
Original post by hoffman11
I have never known what to do with my life.

I am 24 and have a 1:1 BSc in Physics, but am stumped as to which direction to take. I chose the subject due to interest but also due to lack of direction, as I was aware the Degree can be valued in varible situations. I am not largely motivated by money.

I am more than competent socially, but am a geek at heart, and since finishing Uni I have regressed to working part time and spending the remainder practising advanced mathematics. I do have a keen interest in sound physics, but most jobs in that sector tend to be allocated on a 'who you know' rather than a 'what you know basis'.

Not quite sure what to expect in terms of a reply to this ambigous question, but it feels better just writing it down.

:smile:

What's a 1:1? methinks you not real bro.
Reply 4
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
What's a 1:1? methinks you not real bro.

1:1 = first. And yes, 1:1 is a real term, although not commonly used.
Original post by snowing
1:1 = first. And yes, 1:1 is a real term, although not commonly used.

which uni uses it?
Reply 6
Try your careers service? Try companies' websites that hire physicists (e.g. NASA)? Do you want to even do something physics related? Do a PhD/masters if you want to?
Reply 7
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
which uni uses it?

I don't know, I don't keep a list of which universities do, but I have come across the term 1:1 when researching MSc courses. :smile:
Get a real job...earn some money...have childern...dont let them do physics at university....and die.OK?
Reply 9
Original post by Swayum
Try your careers service? Try companies' websites that hire physicists (e.g. NASA)? Do you want to even do something physics related? Do a PhD/masters if you want to?

Fairly irrelevant fact but only Americans can work in the space sector in the USA, even private companies can't hire foreigners. :dontknow:
Reply 10
I'd definitely try and get a doctorate, aiming my research at a field in which I'd eventually like a job. With a 1:1 you'll definitely be able to study for one, there's help on finding postgraduate placements here.
You could always teach it. If you have a degree in anything math-related, Sarah Cameron will personally suck your cock if you go into teaching. They're like "OMFG HE CAN DO MATH GET HIM IN A CLASSROOM NAO!"

Honest.

Okay maybe I lied about the cocksucking bit, but the rest of it is pretty much spot on.

If you don't fancy teaching, try post-grad in a specific field of physics that you're interested in. You have a 1:1 in one of the most desirable subjects there is. There's not a lot you can't do, tbh.
Reply 12
Thanks @ilickbatteries @nochance @maskofsanity @swayum :smile:
Reply 13
Ashley Banjo from Diversity!!

He did physics at uni tooo
Reply 14
Defo a postgrad and maybe a reseacher at a place like CERN :smile:
Reply 15
Teach :mmm:
Reply 16
If you are really stuck for ideas head into finance. I've heard the maths skills from degrees like physics are highly sought after
Original post by ilickbatteries
You could always teach it. If you have a degree in anything math-related, Sarah Cameron will personally suck your cock if you go into teaching. They're like "OMFG HE CAN DO MATH GET HIM IN A CLASSROOM NAO!"
D'you mean Samantha Cameron? The other one was Sarah Brown. I doubt that either have a penchant for mass-fellatio, however.
Original post by hoffman11

My brother went into programming from his physics degree. Physics is well regarded in that field I think.

But I'm sure there is a lot you could do with it, there aren't that many other 1st physics grads for you to compete with (relatively) and it's a strong degree - so you're in a good position really.

You might want to page through the employment section of the new scientist magazine.
Original post by Mithra
Fairly irrelevant fact but only Americans can work in the space sector in the USA, even private companies can't hire foreigners. :dontknow:

Woah, woah, woah - really?

What about universities like Harvard and Princeton and that?

:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending