The Student Room Group

C3 help please

Hiya, just been going through some past papers and this question has completely stumped me! I've looked at the mark scheme answer and that hasn't seemed to help, I just don't understand how you're supposed to solve it and get to the answer! :confused:
Any help would be much appreciated! Could anyone possibly show me the stages in detail :colondollar:
Thankyou in advance! :tongue:

Given that

[2x^4 - 3x^2 + x + 1]/[(x^2 - 1)} = (ax^2 + bx + c) + [dx + e]/[(x^2-1)]

find the values of the constants a, b, c, d and e.

P.s this was also Question 1 on the paper, ahh how is this supposed to be easier than the rest :confused: :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Butterflyeffect
Hiya, just been going through some past papers and this question has completely stumped me! I've looked at the mark scheme answer and that hasn't seemed to help, I just don't understand how you're supposed to solve it and get to the answer! :confused:
Any help would be much appreciated! Could anyone possibly show me the stages in detail :colondollar:
Thankyou in advance! :tongue:

Given that

[2x^4 - 3x^2 + x + 1]/[(x^2 - 1)} = (ax^2 + bx + c) + [dx + e]/[(x^2-1)]

find the values of the constants a, b, c, d and e.

P.s this was also Question 1 on the paper, ahh how is this supposed to be easier than the rest :confused: :s-smilie:

Polynomial long division. Learn it, rather useful technique! To explain it here would be quite long so I'll let you search for it.
Original post by Clarity Incognito
Polynomial long division. Learn it, rather useful technique! To explain it here would be quite long so I'll let you search for it.

Oh yes :biggrin: its coming back to me! Sorry just really didn't think of that at all oopss :colondollar:
Thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest