The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
Anyone applied for Zoology and got an offer yet?
Haven't got a reply from anywhere so far so wondering how everyone else is doing...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1941
Original post by webber8345
Yea I know how you feel about older architecture, its just so atmospheric! When I was in Durham looking at the uni, I fell in love with the Cathedral and if I go there, I'm probably going to study in the cloisters lol.. I'm not religious (or christian) in anyway, but the building is just so beautiful
Someone said earlier in the thread that you should be happy to being going elsewhere because Hatfield has a pretty bad reputation and I agree to some extent. I WAS aware of that when I applied and the girl I know at Grey said that they're considered the 'Slytherine of Durham' which I found kinda cool, but the sentiment is still the same. She also said though that thats the stereotype and she knows a lot of really nice people that go there. She said that all the colleges have their stereotypes and while some are true to some extent, a lot of them aren't.
The main thing for me is how large the college is. I figure, the larger it is, the more likely I'd be to find like-minded people.

Yeah I'm guessing reputations aren't generally true. I know what you mean about the architecture, I may be atheist but it's just so pretty :redface: I guess it's true about size - I'd kind of like a smaller one (which Grey isn't), but I can easily get over that. Where else are you applying?
Reply 1942
Is it possible to make a second application to Durham?

I applied to Glasgow for Biomed but now they no longer offer that course and gave me the option to either choose a different course or apply to another uni.
My parents suggested I apply to Durham for a seond course. Is that even possible?
(edited 13 years ago)
Got an offer for International Studies =)
Reply 1944
Original post by KaHelene

I applied to Glasgow for Biomed but now they no longer offer that course and gave me the option to either choose a different course or apply to another uni.
My parents suggested I apply to Durham for a seond course. Is that even possible?

Yeah im pretty sure thats possible if its for a different course
Original post by Nia M
No, I'm not.

I've been using the AES thing - it still says my application is with the department. And I've been in to see the Combined Honours office, and also the French and Maths departments, and they never said anything about my combination possibly being an issue with it combining an Arts and a Science subject. :frown:

Ohh...okay sorry then about the bunch of completely irrelevant info :egg: !
In that case i can't think why it would be taking so long..maybe the arrangements you discussed didn't get passed on properly to whoever makes the decisions, though i'm really just clutching at straws here...
Obviously your unlikely to hear anything until after the new year now but maybe then give the office a call and just ask how its progressing? May I ask as well, what is your application's status on the AES atm?
good luck though again, my gut instinct is still with the fact that its a more unusual option within combined honours :smile:
Original post by KaHelene

Apparently so, will try and find a link but as long as the course codes are all different i'm pretty sure you can =) have seen incidences of it happening on tsr. Though whether its not better going for a different uni only you could know, do you have your heart set on Durham?
_

Ok there's a link for you
http://www.ucas.co.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/choices
Note that UCAS says: You can choose up to five choices and there's no preference order

Your application will be sent to all chosen universities and colleges at the same time. Each university and college will only see details of their course or courses that you've applied to. They won't see your other choices until you've received your final decision.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1947
Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made
Ohh...okay sorry then about the bunch of completely irrelevant info :egg: !
In that case i can't think why it would be taking so long..maybe the arrangements you discussed didn't get passed on properly to whoever makes the decisions, though i'm really just clutching at straws here...
Obviously your unlikely to hear anything until after the new year now but maybe then give the office a call and just ask how its progressing? May I ask as well, what is your application's status on the AES atm?good luck though again, my gut instinct is still with the fact that its a more unusual option within combined honours :smile:

Still 'not yet received by a college', after over two months... :frown:

(Thanks for your advice by the way :smile:)
Original post by eve_m
Yeah I'm guessing reputations aren't generally true. I know what you mean about the architecture, I may be atheist but it's just so pretty :redface: I guess it's true about size - I'd kind of like a smaller one (which Grey isn't), but I can easily get over that. Where else are you applying?

I applied to Oxford, St Andrews, Exeter and Sussex. I didnt get Oxford, though I got an interview which was great, but to be honest, I don't think it was for me in any case - so I'm not all that disappointed, though of course noone likes to be rejected.
ive got a place at sussex but theyve asked for the same grades as durham and durham is REALLY what I want, so I'm really happy about that.
Still havent heard from Exeter and St Andrews

Im also applying to a couple canadian unis as 'backups'.

Where have you applied?
Reply 1949
I applied to Oxford, St Andrews, Exeter and Sussex. I didnt get Oxford, though I got an interview which was great, but to be honest, I don't think it was for me in any case - so I'm not all that disappointed, though of course noone likes to be rejected.
ive got a place at sussex but theyve asked for the same grades as durham and durham is REALLY what I want, so I'm really happy about that.
Still havent heard from Exeter and St Andrews

Im also applying to a couple canadian unis as 'backups'.

Where have you applied?

Cambridge, Exeter, Bristol, and Sussex too :smile: Got an offer from sussex which I'll have as my insurance if/when I get rejected from Cambridge :redface: Canadian unis? How come? Also, merry christmas :biggrin: Even if it technically ended 15 minutes ago...
100th page!!

I'm still waiting for decision. I really want to know early January in case I get an offer so I can book flights for half term to look around.

Edit: Has anyone else received an offer for Engineering yet?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Snowhere girl
Thanks I don't want to be a nuisance but it has been ages.... and I really want this one (sigh) I just wondered if I was being rather impatient and imaginative.

I sent my application off on the 11th October, didn't get an offer from Durham until the 20th December.
Original post by eve_m
Cambridge, Exeter, Bristol, and Sussex too :smile: Got an offer from sussex which I'll have as my insurance if/when I get rejected from Cambridge :redface: Canadian unis? How come? Also, merry christmas :biggrin: Even if it technically ended 15 minutes ago...

Well I'm half american half english. going to a canadian uni is a lot cheaper than the states and involves no SATs. I also do the IB and really good, internationally recognised unis in Canada ask for ALOT lower IB points than the UK. So though I'm planning on staying in Europe to be near my family, Canada is potentially an option as an international student with american loans. Its just to give me a few more options.
Merry Christmas to you too :smile: good luck with Cambridge! I have a couple friends hoping to go there, my best friend's applied to Clare College.
Reply 1953
Hey everyone!

Course: PPE
College: Hild Bede
Status of application: Waiting...

Who's heard anything?
xx
Reply 1954
Well I'm half american half english. going to a canadian uni is a lot cheaper than the states and involves no SATs. I also do the IB and really good, internationally recognised unis in Canada ask for ALOT lower IB points than the UK. So though I'm planning on staying in Europe to be near my family, Canada is potentially an option as an international student with american loans. Its just to give me a few more options.
Merry Christmas to you too :smile: good luck with Cambridge! I have a couple friends hoping to go there, my best friend's applied to Clare College.

Ah well cheaper uni sounds pretty good right now :frown: If it makes you feel any better, I know loads of people who applied to Oxford, and I don't know any who got in.. Good luck to your friend, I bet they're as nervous of 6th Jan as I am :redface:
Original post by Elf.
Hey everyone!

Course: PPE
College: Hild Bede
Status of application: Waiting...

Who's heard anything?
xx

I've heard for PPE.. It seems they were sending out a lot of offers just before christmas...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Freerider101
100th page!!

I'm still waiting for decision. I really want to know early January in case I get an offer so I can book flights for half term to look around.

Edit: Has anyone else received an offer for Engineering yet?

I have an offer for BEng General Engineering :biggrin:

What did you apply for?
Hope I get an offer
Original post by matth55

Original post by matth55
Anyone applied for Zoology and got an offer yet?
Haven't got a reply from anywhere so far so wondering how everyone else is doing...

Hey, I applied for zoology too and havnt heard anything back yet, and on AES it hasnt been accepted by a college. Please let me know how it goes, I dont know anyone whos got an offer from durham. what college did you apply for?
Hi I've been given an offer by St. Mary's college. I am very keen to keep my music going whilst I am at Durham and I was wondering whether you could tell me what the music groups are and what they are like. (I have looked on the website but struggled to find much!) Also how many practise rooms does St. Mary's have?

Latest

Trending

Trending