The Student Room Group

Improving mental arithmetic

I could do with some advice on how to improve my mental arithmetic. I have got A-level maths, I can do the 'harder' maths things fine but I seem to have a block with mental maths. I struggle to find a way of working things out even if I can use a pen and paper, but if I can't write things down I cannot do it at all. :frown:

I am applying to the the army for officer entry after I finish my degree, but I will have to do a pschometric test, part of which is maths related, and also an exercise working out speed, distance, time etc. Both of which have to be done without pen and paper. I know that this will be the one thing that I will fall down on, so I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice as to how to improve. I know I need to practice, but are there any methods etc people can recommend. :smile:

Thanks alot. :biggrin:
Reply 1
Cathie86
I could do with some advice on how to improve my mental arithmetic. I have got A-level maths, I can do the 'harder' maths things fine but I seem to have a block with mental maths. I struggle to find a way of working things out even if I can use a pen and paper, but if I can't write things down I cannot do it at all. :frown:

I am applying to the the army for officer entry after I finish my degree, but I will have to do a pschometric test, part of which is maths related, and also an exercise working out speed, distance, time etc. Both of which have to be done without pen and paper. I know that this will be the one thing that I will fall down on, so I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice as to how to improve. I know I need to practice, but are there any methods etc people can recommend. :smile:

Thanks alot. :biggrin:

When unable to sleep, I used to make up equations in my head using the digits (including the zeroes) currently displayed on the digital alarm clock, first in the correct order, otherwise in any order, using any of the mathematical operators, including ^. So you have a minute to get the best equation.

Examples

0201 (0+2)^0 = 1
0329 0=(3^2) - 9
0424 0 + √4 + 2 = 4 OR (0x4) + 2 = √4

If you're a real insomniac, you can work out which times on your digital clock it is not possible to make into an equation, using the digits in the order in which they appear.

Aitch

If this catches on, we could start a society...
Reply 2
Cathie86
:biggrin:

Instead of counting sheep I double ... 1 , 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64....
The first are easy by 1024 I'm being to fall asleep.

I also do square numbers 12^2=144, 13^2 = 169. ...if you don't know them work them out. 23^2 =(20 +3)(20 +3) the 20 x 20 comes to 400. Then you want 20 x 3 which is 60. Double this... in your head... and add to the 400 then 3 x 3 which is 9 and my now you will have forgotten where you have got to. So start again but this time the bits should come a bit easier.. add up and you should get 400 +120 +9 = 529.

Do this until you fall asleep.
Reply 3
steve2005
Instead of counting sheep I double ... 1 , 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64....
The first are easy by 1024 I'm being to fall asleep.

I also do square numbers 12^2=144, 13^2 = 169. ...if you don't know them work them out. 23^2 =(20 +3)(20 +3) the 20 x 20 comes to 400. Then you want 20 x 3 which is 60. Double this... in your head... and add to the 400 then 3 x 3 which is 9 and my now you will have forgotten where you have got to. So start again but this time the bits should come a bit easier.. add up and you should get 400 +120 +9 = 529.

Do this until you fall asleep.

I've done the number-doubling before! It's a good exercise. Just the thought of it is causing me to drift away... It could have something to do with lunch and a couple of glasses of claret, however...

...zzz.

Aitch
Reply 4
Aitch
I've done the number-doubling before! It's a good exercise. Just the thought of it is causing me to drift away... It could have something to do with lunch and a couple of glasses of claret, however...

...zzz.

Aitch

Yes, it is pretty effective at putting one to sleep. So might not be much good in improving mental skills ! Get to 128 and you're asleep.
steve2005
Reply 5
steve2005
Yes, it is pretty effective at putting one to sleep. So might not be much good in improving mental skills ! Get to 128 and you're asleep.
steve2005

Try the digital alarm-clock equations. You need to decide on some of your own rules. I'll be interested to know how other people get on with this...

...either as a mental maths trainer...

...or as a cure for insomnia.

Aitch
Reply 6
there are plenty of suitable games at www.10ticks.co.uk which will help your calculation speed. for instance ratsplat .
you go to the site, click on the big student icon & then games station 1 or 2....

Latest