The Student Room Group

How much revision?

Hi guyz, basically i have 6 exams in january, unit 1,2,4 for both biology and chemistry ( I tried last year but had no support from my sixth form) basically iv been revising since september because i want A/B grades and know i can achieve them. Last week i was very ill (and still am) and didnt do any revision.
Heres the grades i feel i can achieve judging by past papers and knowledge of topics:
Unit 1's = A (Bio/Chem)
Unit 2's = C(Bio) E/D (Chem)
Unit 4's = A (Bio) For chemistry im going to just sit the exam for fun because my teacher didnt teach us the unit 4 syllabus as he only knows to AS chemistry and the sixth form didnt do anything about it because theres only 2 A2 people in the class including me and AS/A2 are mixed in one class so he only taught AS.

I was just wondering how many hours a day from now do you guyz think i should revise if i want A/B grades in all my exams except Unit 4 chemistry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pretty much all day. Hour long sessions, then take a half hour break. Rinse and repeat. Thats what im doing from tomorrow anyway. I might do two hour sessions if im feeling motivated though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
You aim for high grades then you need to give lots of your hours in it !!

Study almost all day.

Study for an hour and take a break for 10 mins to relax. Listen to a few songs and you'll be refreshed. This is something I use for my A's.

If I am hooked to an interesting subject like Business Studies in my case..then I do not keep the timer because I am thoroughly enjoying what I am doing.

Infact..if you find maths as a game and if it one of your subject..try doing 1 hour of a boring subject and maths as the refreshing 10 min subject. You'll get refreshed and study...together !!

These are just some few ways which you can try out for yourself and see if they work !!

All the best for all your papers and hope you get good A's and B's.
Reply 3
Original post by Arcanine
Pretty much all day. Hour long sessions, then take a half hour break. Rinse and repeat. Thats what im doing from tomorrow anyway. I might do two hour sessions if im feeling motivated though.

Thanks i think il start now, i tried yesterday but i fell asleep due to illness....my head hurts like hell and i have a very high temperature but i cant afford to waste another day.
Reply 4
Original post by Insiya

Study almost all day.

Study for an hour and take a break for 10 mins to relax. Listen to a few songs and you'll be refreshed. This is something I use for my A's.

If I am hooked to an interesting subject like Business Studies in my case..then I do not keep the timer because I am thoroughly enjoying what I am doing.

Infact..if you find maths as a game and if it one of your subject..try doing 1 hour of a boring subject and maths as the refreshing 10 min subject. You'll get refreshed and study...together !!

These are just some few ways which you can try out for yourself and see if they work !!

Thank you. Yeah i understand, but ive been revising since september its very hard to study chemistry if your teacher only has high level GCSE chemistry knowledge. I will try to study as much as i can from now. Thank you for your advice :smile:.
Original post by SkyNinja
Thank you. Yeah i understand, but ive been revising since september its very hard to study chemistry if your teacher only has high level GCSE chemistry knowledge. I will try to study as much as i can from now. Thank you for your advice :smile:.

This annoys me. It's totally unfair on the pupils :mad:
Reply 6
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
This annoys me. It's totally unfair on the pupils :mad:

Yea i know.... but its much worse than that, due to the low numbers of pupils taking A-level science in my six form they mixed AS-A2 classes so now my chemistry teacher basically doesnt teach anyone. Me and my friend (A2 students) teach the As pupils because we feel its unfair on them as my teacher does balancing equations every lesson and is only teaching high level GCSE stuff and not following the syllabus. He doesnt care as hes leaving this year. :frown:
Like someone else has mentioned, as much as possible. Short bursts with breaks. Moment your mind wonders, take a break and reward yourself like listening to a favourite song, nice cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate, short TV programme etc etc. Set a time to get back to it and stick to it!

Past papers are the key as well. Do questions in your textbook, past papers, questions on revision sites etc etc. Remember the thing that will give you the grades (as ****ty as it is) is what you wrote on the question papers. If you write what they want you'll get a good grade. If you don't, even if you have very good knowledge you won't get a good grade (my partner is like this, got and E at A level chem but getting loads of firsts at uni now)

Its a good idea to make a revision timetable, and then sub-divide it into topics. Have a quick look at Get Revising and see if that helps but tbh a quick sketch of your own is better so you can fit any responsibilities you have into the timetable

Best of luck! :hugs:
Yea i know.... but its much worse than that, due to the low numbers of pupils taking A-level science in my six form they mixed AS-A2 classes so now my chemistry teacher basically doesnt teach anyone. Me and my friend (A2 students) teach the As pupils because we feel its unfair on them as my teacher does balancing equations every lesson and is only teaching high level GCSE stuff and not following the syllabus. He doesnt care as hes leaving this year. :frown:

That is an absolute disgrace :mad: grrr You should complain.
Reply 9
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
That is an absolute disgrace :mad: grrr You should complain.

I have about 10 times. The sixth form will do **** as theyre in a transition stage to becoming academies they dont care about these "small" issues. I also got my parents involved which had no effect.
SkyNinja
For chemistry im going to just sit the exam for fun because my teacher didnt teach us the unit 4 syllabus as he only knows to AS chemistry and the sixth form didnt do anything about it because theres only 2 A2 people in the class including me and AS/A2 are mixed in one class so he only taught AS.

SkyNinja
Thank you. Yeah i understand, but ive been revising since september its very hard to study chemistry if your teacher only has high level GCSE chemistry knowledge. I will try to study as much as i can from now. Thank you for your advice .

Complain, complain, complain, complain, complain and complain some more, this is disgraceful.

What is the point in bothering with your studies with such an incompetent teacher? If you want to even pass, you must change the situation for the better.

Edit: Take it to the highest authority possible. In the meantime, pick up a textbook, read, make notes, answer questions, and do this non-stop. Ask if you can take both chemistry exams in the summer, so that you have more preparation time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by mathew551
Complain, complain, complain, complain, complain and complain some more, this is disgraceful.

What is the point in bothering with your studies with such an incompetent teacher? If you want to even pass, you must change the situation for the better.

Edit: Take it to the highest authority possible. In the meantime, pick up a textbook, read, make notes, answer questions, and do this non-stop. Ask if you can take both chemistry exams in the summer, so that you have more preparation time.

My sixth form will not let it take it to the highest authority possible, its not like i havnt tried. Me and my friend also both got our parents involved and the situation only went as far as the head of college and its very unlikely that it would go further.
I have been working really hard since september. Iv made all notes, done all the questions. Im not complaining, im worried. Im trying my best to change the situation.
All day. Do 45 mins, then 15 mins break etc. :smile:
My sixth form will not let it take it to the highest authority possible, its not like i havnt tried. Me and my friend also both got our parents involved and the situation only went as far as the head of college and its very unlikely that it would go further.
I have been working really hard since september. Iv made all notes, done all the questions. Im not complaining, im worried. Im trying my best to change the situation.

Don't let your sixth form dictate to you how far you want to take it. :P

If you've made notes and such then good! :smile:
Reply 14

ouch
Original post by Insiya

Study almost all day.

No wonder you get A's.
Reply 16
i feel for you OP, but just look through past papers and do questions in the revision guides/textbooks/sites and look at your syllabus to make sure u know everything.

i've been doing a lot of revision but due to my ipod touch, my revision has slowly diminished but coz i was playing tap tap revenge for so long, my parents have confiscated it :frown: BUT it's for the best
Reply 17
Thank you guyz for the reply, i think il start my revision properly tomorow. The thing that annoys me is if i do work extremley for the next month and i get good grades, all the credit will go to the teacher....it always happens.
Reply 18
anyone else got a Physics exam on the 27th jan which they haven't started to revise for?
Reply 19
Thank you guyz for the reply, i think il start my revision properly tomorow. The thing that annoys me is if i do work extremley for the next month and i get good grades, all the credit will go to the teacher....it always happens.

Who cares about the teachers...it is finally YOU who is getting the grades.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest