The Student Room Group

Can a bad grade in an extra, compulsory A Level bring down your chances for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Persephone9
Do they still do that? The year above me (who did A2 in 2009) had the option to do that, but we didn't and were told that you couldn't do that anymore. (Maybe my school were just fed up with the paperwork from it)

ohh I'm not sure, honestly I kinda just assumed you still could.. haha I did my ASs in 2009 so maybe you can't..
My sixth form made me take General Studies.. and the UCAS points I got from it turned out to earn me £2000 per year in a scholarship at uni- wouldn't have got the points if they hadn't forced me to take it!

Just try your best, it's not hard to get a good grade!
Not at all! My friend got AAABE at AS (E in Critical thinking) and he has an interview for medicine! As long as you get high grades for the crucial A levels required for entry, you won't encounter any problems. I think they would only expect a pass tbh. Good luck !
Reply 23
You could choose to not get it certified if you do badly :smile:

People who got E's or U's in the January exam for Citizenship last year were made to drop or resit.

You could deliberately not bother, but at the same time, it's still an AS level. it could be the deciding factor between you and someone who didn't do an extra AS. But don't let revision for Cit get in the way of your main subjects :smile:
Original post by mooniibuggy
Not at all! My friend got AAABE at AS (E in Critical thinking) and he has an interview for medicine! As long as you get high grades for the crucial A levels required for entry, you won't encounter any problems. I think they would only expect a pass tbh. Good luck !

But, if you got a U, they'd never even know you took it...
Original post by TheSownRose
But, if you got a U, they'd never even know you took it...

Yeah...I guess that would be a better alternative because OP has a non-science A level so it would be of little benefit if they took it . But if the school won't allow them to drop it, I don't think it will greatly harm their application for medicine if they came out with a low grade :smile:

Edit: Now that I think about it would be beneficial when applying to a competitive course such as Medicine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by mooniibuggy
Yeah...I guess that would be a better alternative because OP has a non-science A level so it would be of little benefit if they took it . But if the school won't allow them to drop it, I don't think it will greatly harm their application for medicine if they came out with a low grade :smile:

Just on a side note, can a non-science A level give you an edge compared to those wanting to do medicine who just do the typical 3 sciences and maths thing?

Yep, my school doesn't allow us to drop it, as in we have to do it, I will need to find out if it is all the way to A2. Their reasoning is UCAS points which to me is irrelevant really... and I don't really know anyone who needs to rely on an extra irrelevant (and mind-numbingly boring!) subject to go to uni!
Original post by loz876

Original post by loz876
At my sixth form, along with our 4 AS Levels we are doing, we also have to do Citizenship AS (not sure if we have to do it A2 as well). We have a Citizenship class once and week, and will be entered for the exam in summer. I want to do medicine and am also doing maths, biology, chemistry and philosophy & ethics, and since in summer I'll be focusing on getting A grades in my other subjects, would, say, a D in citizenship come across worse than if I didn't do that course at all? Or do they look at the required A levels and ignore extras/early ones (I did one early as well).
Thanks for your help :biggrin:

I would strictly advise to contact the universities you wish to apply for. Policies may differ between institutions.
Original post by loz876
Just on a side note, can a non-science A level give you an edge compared to those wanting to do medicine who just do the typical 3 sciences and maths thing?

Study what you enjoy and what you think you get 3 As in (although most school leavers have A2 biology and CHEMISTRY).

Medical Application Myth Busting Thread
Whilst UCL and Peninsula acknowledge they give a small amount of preference to those with a contrasting subject, this preference is very small, and no other university has any preference either way. I cannot stress enough, there is NO disadvantage to doing the 3 sciences and maths, so don't study a contrasting subject just because you feel you have to.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Study what you enjoy and what you think you get 3 As in (although most school leavers have A2 biology and maths).

I'm not sure which I'll drop after AS... possibly maths! Though maths isn't necessary for medicine.

Originally Posted by Medical Application Myth Busting Thread
Whilst UCL and Peninsula acknowledge they give a small amount of preference to those with a contrasting subject, this preference is very small, and no other university has any preference either way. I cannot stress enough, there is NO disadvantage to doing the 3 sciences and maths, so don't study a contrasting subject just because you feel you have to.

Ahh this helps :smile: and the reason I didn't do physics is because I absolutely cannot stand it :giggle:
Original post by loz876
I'm not sure which I'll drop after AS... possibly maths! Though maths isn't necessary for medicine.

Maths? My bad, 3 hours sleep then 6 hours work, I meant chem! :colondollar: You're right, maths isn't needed for medicine.

Original post by loz876
Ahh this helps :smile: and the reason I didn't do physics is because I absolutely cannot stand it :giggle:

Exactly the reason I didn't do it. (Everyone in my form did it to A2 though, it looks horrible!)
Reply 31

Exactly the reason I didn't do it. (Everyone in my form did it to A2 though, it looks horrible!)

Haha yeah I know quite a few who did it... you're right, it just looks awful!! Although somehow that was the science module I did best at at GCSE out of all three sciences... No idea how!
Original post by loz876

Yep, my school doesn't allow us to drop it, as in we have to do it, I will need to find out if it is all the way to A2. Their reasoning is UCAS points which to me is irrelevant really... and I don't really know anyone who needs to rely on an extra irrelevant (and mind-numbingly boring!) subject to go to uni!

I went to a Medicine open day in April and I was told that they prefer a non-science a level with bio, chem as it shows you are well-rounded in your academic ability. They also said it shows the admissions tutor that you can write in continuous prose (essays) so your English vocab/communication skills are enhanced, which is respected by med schools because those skills are crucial to a doctor. My friend (one I was on about earlier ) did Drama AS and he wrote on his p.s how it improved his confidence and communication skills.

I think it will look good on your application if you do Citizenship because it shows you can work well under pressure and you come across as being very self-motivated. Either way, as others have pointed out, if at the end you feel it is affecting your performance in bio, chem ect. or you think you'll end up with a bad grade, you can always not turn up to the exam and I doubt the school would make you do it at A2. Just do it! You might come out with a decent grade! :smile: Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
If you don't turn up to the exam, you get an X. So, if you don't want to fail or have to enter the score on a ucas reference, then don't turn up to the exam.
Reply 34
Thank you, well I'll speak to the sixth form about it after Christmas. Coincidentally, half of my AS grade for Philosophy & Ethics is an essay on medical ethics... I'm thinking this may come in handy if they ask me about medical ethics in any interviews! :wink:
I've been negged for saying I got U U U U in my first year.

Is that because you don't like failure or because I'm getting As now? You mad people.

Quick Reply

Latest