The Student Room Group

Trophy Hunting, Moral/Ethical Concerns?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Not getting dragged into this, for the ninth time this year.
Though on record, I don't really care much for harming any other being other than a Human or one that I own, so I would be against rape and pedophillia and such forth because it harms Humans.

But if it harms Animals? I couldent care less.

You're arbitrarily discriminating, like racism and sexism.

Cool man.
Original post by 66CC99
You're arbitrarily discriminating, like racism and sexism.

Cool man.

Damn right, and if it was Sexism or Racism in Humans, I wouldent stand for it.

However outside our immediate species, I couldn't care less.
It's an evolutionary reaction to put the survival of my own kind above the survival of others, you know evolution, like eating meat.
You do realise Venison is hunted not farmed?
Reply 23
Damn right, and if it was Sexism or Racism in Humans, I wouldent stand for it.

However outside our immediate species, I couldn't care less.
It's an evolutionary reaction to put the survival of my own kind above the survival of others,

You have also evolved a brain to think. And you can relinquish your primal instincts to EAT **** SEX etc.

You're using the same *******y arguments racists and misogynists used to put down black people and women. It's just discrimination and I can't wait until enlightenment happens and people cast off their discrimination and become more clever.

you know evolution, like eating meat.

herp derp, man put unintelligent incoherent point together to make pointless pithy statement.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
I have never heard of hunting animals being called trophy hunting before. Weird.

My boyfriend hunts animals, but he lives on a farm and usually only goes for rabbits and other disruptive animals. Personally I think that it depends why you're doing it. If you are just shooting things for fun, then that's wrong in my book, but if you have some sort of reason ex. hunting for food, hunting animals which mess up your farm etc. then that's fine.
Original post by 66CC99
You have also evolved a brain to think. And you can relinquish your primal instincts to EAT **** SEX etc.

You're using the same *******y arguments racists and misogynists used to put down black people and women. It's just discrimination and I can't wait until enlightenment happens and people cast off their discrimination and become more clever.

herp derp, man put unintelligent incoherent point together to make pointless pithy point.

Refute it then, prove that we didn't evolve to eat meat.
I have to eat meat, im a semi-pro Athlete, my training regime has a very high-carb protein intake.
Yes I could match the intake in a vegetarian diet, however it would cost me so much that I couldn't afford to pay my rent.
Im not going to be homeless and give up a career for your Carebareing.

A vegetarian culture, would kill more animals than a meat-eating one.
It would be economically more expensive to maintain.
it would be more susceptible to food shortage in the case of natural disasters and adverse weather conditions.

We are animals, animals eat meat, we are in a group of animals that eat meat, eating meat has no adverse effects that cannot be easily avoided.
Original post by Lemons
I have never heard of hunting animals being called trophy hunting before. Weird.

My boyfriend hunts animals, but he lives on a farm and usually only goes for rabbits and other disruptive animals. Personally I think that it depends why you're doing it. If you are just shooting things for fun, then that's wrong in my book, but if you have some sort of reason ex. hunting for food, hunting animals which mess up your farm etc. then that's fine.

Trophy Hunting is when you hunt an animal, for the head/horns/tusks , it's exactly as the name describes hunting for the purpose to make the Animal a Trophy to testify to the kill.

I don't really think hunting "for food" can really be acceptable in the West, since none of us "need" to do it.

Unless you mean, it's ok to hunt "as long as you use it, for food?"
Exactly, which is why I dont see how Anti-Hunters always say "if your not wasting the meat it's ok"

Im arguing purely that theres nothing wrong with hunting full stop, as long as we take care of the population.
I like to hunt the deadliest game of all.....man.
Reply 29
The only form of hunting which can be justified in my eyes is hunting for food - that is, people who intend to eat every single creature they kill. I can't really argue against people who do this, infact, I think all meat-eaters should be willing to kill an animal themselves.

Any other reason, especially the "it's fun" argument, can never justify a killing.
Reply 30
Trophy Hunting is when you hunt an animal, for the head/horns/tusks , it's exactly as the name describes hunting for the purpose to make the Animal a Trophy to testify to the kill.

I don't really think hunting "for food" can really be acceptable in the West, since none of us "need" to do it.

Unless you mean, it's ok to hunt "as long as you use it, for food?"

Saying that you hunt for food doesn't necessarily imply that you need to hunt to get food. People who grow vegetables to eat don't need to grow them to get food. What I mean is basically, as long as you don't kill something purely for the sake of killing it and whatever thrill you get from that then that's ok. If you kill an animal because you enjoy it and want to show off that you killed it, which I guess is why you would kill something for a 'trophy', then I think that's morally wrong.

One, why is it Ethically reprehensible, unless you are going to ascribe to an Absolute Morality, or argue that animals should be afforded rights on par with us, I just don't see how it can be.

Animals have a right to inhabit the Earth just as much as we do. It's got nothing to do with 'absolute morality', it's just common sense. If you ascribe to the idea that 'anything is fair game, we own the planet and I have a right to kill off anything I like', then the world's eco-system would be fair game and shot down within minutes.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Animals have a right to inhabit the Earth just as much as we do. It's got nothing to do with 'absolute morality', it's just common sense. If you ascribe to the idea that 'anything is fair game, we own the planet and I have a right to kill off anything I like', then the world's eco-system would be fair game and shot down within minutes.

Which is why we should ascribe to moderation also why the vast vast majority of hunters do so in season in areas specifically deisnged and kept for mainly that sole purpose, where the population is kept healthy and the damage to the ecosystem is basically non-existant.
Generally yes, we always check in with Natural Wildlife, and enviromentl agncies, as well as the Governing hunting body of the area(as do 90% of most sport hunters).

There are always strict quotas on just how many and what you can stalk, and the numbers are always based on the (amazingly unlikely) assumption that every single hunter who goes in will be able to take down the maximum number he is quota'd, which never ever happens.

For example in South Dakota, legally each winter season you can take down seven deer, ive never meta hunter who has managed to take three in a winter stalk.
Ive heard of it done, but it's unusual, never mind every Hunter pulling it off.
Populations in Government controlled hunting zones, flourish.
Which is why we should ascribe to moderation also why the vast vast majority of hunters do so in season in areas specifically deisnged and kept for mainly that sole purpose, where the population is kept healthy and the damage to the ecosystem is basically non-existant.

No, hunting for anything other than sustenance is unethical.
No, hunting for anything other than sustenance is unethical.

Why?
Why?

Because it is inhumane.
Original post by 66CC99
It's just discrimination and I can't wait until enlightenment happens and people cast off their discrimination and become more clever.

I sense hypocrisy! We're animals, right? Other animals eat animals, therefore, if we're going with your equal rights for all animals argument, then we can eat animals too, right? Okay, other animals hunt other animals, therefore, we too can hunt other animals, right? A LOT of animals hunt and then don't eat/barely eat any of their caught - and now dead - prey, then we can too, right? Or are you saying we can't?? ZOMG discrimination!!

No Boobies, it's really, really not. Watch a documentary on the meat industry, I beg of you! Look at the conditions animals are kept in for two years of their life until they're large enough to be slaughtered, then look at the natural lives hunted animals live, we're talking, comparably, battery farm hen vs wild grouse in the scottish highlands, and I'm not even exaggerating the difference!!

Supply and demand, darling, supply and demand. The more hunters buy from the supermarket, the more animals are killed and sold to the supermarket, only - when talking edible animals - a lot more meat is unused on the whole and therefore a lot more animals are needlessly killed. Thus hunting is more efficient, so telling people to buy from supermarkets instead of hunting is pretty illogical...
Because it is inhumane.

So because im not, a weeping heart every time I see an animal die, im ethically void?
What im doing is a farsight more humane, than buying one from the supermarket.

Are you of the opinions animals have equal rights to humans?
(edited 13 years ago)
So because im not, a weeping heart every time I see an animal die, im ethically void?
What im doing is a farsight more humane, than buying one from the supermarket.

Are you of the opinions animals have equal rights to humans?

Wow, you really are a moron. It seems you only see in black and white (which is kind of ironic considering the nature of the argument). Animals have rights yes, not equal with humans and rights none the less. You are morally reprehensible and there should be laws to put people like you in their place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending