The Student Room Group

Uni Groups. Realistic.

So, let's face it....they exist. This list is not an exhaustable list. It may not even represent your Uni as well as others. I suppose this is more pitched at the Top 10 set. But ere goes....

1. Rahs - Dress in lot of Jack Wills, A&F, Hollister, hunter wellies, quilted jackets etc. They really can be from anywhere, but tend mostly to originate from the home counties. Usually don't have jobs (parents give them dosh), probably went to public school, with loud, exaggerated posh accents.
Tbh, they usually aren't exceedingly wealthy but like to give that impression. Middle class mostly. Its all about being aspirational for the Rah. Lots of nights out, casual shagging, art history degree etc.

2.Fresh off the boat Asian- I don't know how. But at my uni, all the Asians were well aquatinted and a tight but large group within the 1st week. They seem to be the ones who all talk Chinese, and appear to be very culturally different. Work hard, not really many nights out or sports (other than badminton/table tennis) but are prominent in societies. I honestly have not seen a white or black person with them. Degrees include: maths, econ, accounting, engineering, business, medicine.

3.Black dudesssss- So all the black guys seem to know each other, but also have lots of other friends as well. Wear urban clothes. Pharell billionaire boys club T-shirts, gilets, trendy trainers, big earphones. Friendly, but also quite set on getting with girls. Can really be found in any degree to be honest.

4. Americans-Although these guys can really vary. Ypu get the slutty, sexually liberated girls. Alpha, arrogant guys who looove to drink beer and make noise. But you also get the very nerdy "I just love math" men and spiritual, kooky girls who are into aromatherapy and take courses like Arabic and Scottish history.

5.Working class background student- Don't have as much confidence as the Rahs or upper class. Tend to be how the general population would picture a student. Hard up, living off loan and part-time job in supermarket. Went to local comp, maybe in one sports club (football, athletics). Play x-box, wear T-shirts from Matalan. Degrees: Sociology, psychology, physics, biology, chem. Very small group in top 10 Unis. prominent in not-so-good ones. Parents will maybe buy them some groceries but not pay their rent or buy them clothes. Goes down the pub with mates, usually to watch football.

6.Upper-class - In polo team, rugby team, shooting or Lacrosse. Quite quiet and self assured. Went to countries top boarding schools.Quietly self assured. Wear very expensive, quality clothes which don't have massive logos. Hold dinner parties with equally posh friends. A lot less showy off than the middle class Rahs. Old money, estates in country-side. Generally either lovely, nice, kind people or very fake nice and secretly massive snobs. Have a place where they spend their summer since childhood. The smart ones go to Oxbridge. Basically do any not completely mickey mouse degree. Although not many in dentistry, medicine, vet med etc. Too much work.

7.Eastern Europeans - Nice, strong work ethic. Into metal music. Do Engineering, computer science, maths etc. Uusally quite quiet. Wear outdated clothes but always dress sensibly and modestly. Speak 2/3 languages very well. Good sense of humour usually. Don't play much sports except maybe judo.

You will try to disagree but come on! These groups totally exist!! Roll on the neg rep.
EDIT
Yeah yeah, do the whole "Well I go to Uni and I don't fit into any of these groups. Yeah, I didn't say it was an al inclusive list. Idiots. Also, you probably do but think you're "so special" that you don't.

The middle class students!?!?
I hear you cry- Well most are Rahs. If your parents don't have enough money to give you any but you don't qualify for much bursary/loans. Then you're lower middle class., and share most of the same characteristics as the working class. Blah

Also, these are the unis I'd include in this:
Oxford
Cambridge
UCL
LSE
Imperial
Durham
St. Andrews
Bristol
Edinburgh
Warwick

All other unis are just ****e
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So where/what are the middle-class students?
Original post by Billydodger
So, let's face it....they exist. This list is not an exhaustable list. It may not even represent your Uni as well as others. I suppose this is more pitched at the Top 10 set. But ere goes....

1. Rahs - Dress in lot of Jack Wills, A&F, Hollister, hunter wellies, quilted jackets etc. They really can be from anywhere, but tend mostly to originate from the home counties. Usually don't have jobs (parents give them dosh), probably went to public school, with loud, exaggerated posh accents.
Tbh, they usually aren't exceedingly wealthy but like to give that impression. Middle class mostly. Its all about being aspirational for the Rah. Lots of nights out, casual shagging, art history degree etc.

2.Fresh off the boat Asian- I don't know how. But at my uni, all the Asians were well aquatinted and a tight but large group within the 1st week. They seem to be the ones who all talk Chinese, and appear to be very culturally different. Work hard, not really many nights out or sports (other than badminton/table tennis) but are prominent in societies. I honestly have not seen a white or black person with them. Degrees include: maths, econ, accounting, engineering, business, medicine.

3.Black dudesssss- So all the black guys seem to know each other, but also have lots of other friends as well. Wear urban clothes. Pharell billionaire boys club T-shirts, gilets, trendy trainers, big earphones. Friendly, but also quite set on getting with girls. Can really be found in any degree to be honest.

4. Americans-Although these guys can really vary. Ypu get the slutty, sexually liberated girls. Alpha, arrogant guys who looove to drink beer and make noise. But you also get the very nerdy "I just love math" men and spiritual, kooky girls who are into aromatherapy and take courses like Arabic and Scottish history.

5.Working class background student- Don't have as much confidence as the Rahs or upper class. Tend to be how the general population would picture a student. Hard up, living off loan and part-time job in supermarket. Went to local comp, maybe in one sports club (football, athletics). Play x-box, wear T-shirts from Matalan. Degrees: Sociology, psychology, physics, biology, chem. Very small group in top 10 Unis. prominent in not-so-good ones. Parents will maybe buy them some groceries but not pay their rent or buy them clothes. Goes down the pub with mates, usually to watch football.

6.Upper-class - In polo team, rugby team, shooting or Lacrosse. Quite quiet and self assured. Went to countries top boarding schools.Quietly self assured. Wear very expensive, quality clothes which don't have massive logos. Hold dinner parties with equally posh friends. A lot less showy off than the middle class Rahs. Old money, estates in country-side. Generally either lovely, nice, kind people or very fake nice and secretly massive snobs. Have a place where they spend their summer since childhood. The smart ones go to Oxbridge. Basically do any not completely mickey mouse degree. Although not many in dentistry, medicine, vet med etc. Too much work.

7.Eastern Europeans - Nice, strong work ethic. Into metal music. Do Engineering, computer science, maths etc. Uusally quite quiet. Wear outdated clothes but always dress sensibly and modestly. Speak 2/3 languages very well. Good sense of humour usually. Don't play much sports except maybe judo.

You will try to disagree but come on! These groups totally exist!! Roll on the neg rep.

University is a place where you will meet people from a variety of backgrounds...so in sense you are correct that there are people like those described above.

But it would be a mistake to assume that they all hang around together in herds all the time.
Reply 3
Original post by Jenii
So where/what are the middle-class students?

Rahs
There are only two: non-virgins and those who want to join the former.
Reply 5
This is a ridiculous.
Reply 6
Tbh, I completely recognise the rahs, off the boat asians, black dudes, and to a lesser extent the upper-class groups that you've described.

Most people don't belong to any of these groups and are completely normal (with all the abnormalities that entails).
billydodger

I'd imagine from the numerous grants, bursaries and bigger loans- they'd be pretty loaded. **** working in Sainsburys on saturdays! :biggrin:
Reply 8
That casts me as one of the working-class ones! What if you're middle-class but have been brought up not to spend money?

I'm loaded now I'm at uni - sod having a part time job in a supermarket, I have more money here than I ever have in my life before and a lot more spare cash than the majority of students. Who needs to work when you have £150 a week?

Original post by lechaton-x
I'd imagine from the numerous grants, bursaries and bigger loans- they'd be pretty loaded. **** working in Sainsburys on saturdays! :biggrin:

Same thought! :five:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by RabbitCFH
There are only two: non-virgins and those who want to join the former.

No.
Original post by lechaton-x

I've worked out that I'll have a grand left over from all my loans and grants and bursaries. If I save it up for three years, I can pay off my final years' tuition fee.
Where am I in this social hierachy?
Pretty spot on. Obviously there are people who fit none of the groups, or are a mix of several groups, but from what I've seen, that's pretty accurate.
I can't find me :frown:
Original post by frogout
****ing hate the student loans system :angry:

On another note, I'm not mentioned in any of those groups :colonhash:

No, it's not very fair ... but it does benefit me, so shan't complain too much.
Reply 16
Everyone in Edinburgh is either 1,2 or 7 from those groups. On my courses anyway.
Rahs

I'm from a middle class family and I am most certainly not a rah.

So close, but no cigar.
From my experience at uni, I can see that there are some of these people, but they all integrate really. Maybe it was just the societies I joined, but everyone mixed really well, no defined groupings other than that was one society, and that was another. I don't fit into any of those categories though.
This really isn't representative of my Uni :/ And I'm not going to a **** one either...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending