The Student Room Group

Why are you studying?

What subject and why? And do you think its worth it or are you just doing it for some other reason?

Scroll to see replies

Geography.

I do it because I love it, but there are some lucrative careers to be had if I want them (surveying, GIS, remote sensing, development/planning)

Mostly, however, I just do it because it's awesome.
Original post by Calrik
What subject and why? And do you think its worth it or are you just doing it for some other reason?

I'm currently studying Journalism as I like writing. However I'm going onto study Criminology as I want to learn about the best way to commit mass homicide... amongst other reasons:colone:
Reply 3
History and Philosophy. Yes, it's definitely worth it - they are interesting, so I'm motivated to study. I feel studying them broadens my knowledge base and also my understanding of the world around me. They give me something to talk about with other people and are always useful in answering questions on University Challenge! I can imagine myself going on to do a Masters, and even a PhD in either field.
English. Not really, but I need a degree in something to get a decent job and I'm good at English with little effort. I like the subject, but nearly applied for several other things and am not convinced of it. Then again I don't actually do any studying so there we go.
Computer Animation, because i fail at everything else...LOL, joke! I own at everything :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'm studying German and Translation a) because German is my favourite subject and b) because I need a degree in German and Translation in order to become a professional translator. It's definitely worth it.
Reply 7
Cool maths and because it's hard, and it just gives me such a buzz when I get it. Hoping to eventually do physics. Keep on keeping on guys. :biggrin:
Reply 8
maths with further maths.

absolutely no practical element to it. Not to mention it's enjoyable in a way just to sit down and think

also the satisfaction in getting a hard question right always makes me move on :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by paddy__power
English. Not really, but I need a degree in something to get a decent job and I'm good at English with little effort. I like the subject, but nearly applied for several other things and am not convinced of it. Then again I don't actually do any studying so there we go.

Yeah as long as your interested in it it works, but eyes on the prize I guess?
Reply 10
Original post by ellakrystina
I'm currently studying Journalism as I like writing. However I'm going onto study Criminology as I want to learn about the best way to commit mass homicide... amongst other reasons:colone:

:lol:
Reply 11
Original post by Calrik
Cool maths and because it's hard, and it just gives me such a buzz when I get it. Hoping to eventually do physics. Keep on keeping on guys. :biggrin:

same here, love the feeling when I get something right :banana:
Personally, that which I find has culture, a soul and some kind of beauty.

Formally, linguistics, though I have been neglecting my studies because I get distracted by beautiful things. Things are changing though in the winds and waters, who knows what I will be studying next December.
I'm studying Media Arts at uni.

I wasn't allowed to do it for GCSE or A Level because it was deemed as pointless by my parents and by a lot of my teachers, so I did subjects that I enjoyed but didn't have a passion for. It got to the UCAS stage and I had 5 offers for Theatre Studies, but in May I realised that I had stayed silent too long about the fact that I REALLY wanted to study Media. So I pulled out all my applications and applied to just one uni that I really wanted to go to for Media (initially without my parents knowing and initially without their approval. When they realised I was taking this seriously and not being irrational they calmed down and supported me 100%). And I got an offer despite all the deadlines being gone XD

I absolutely love it. I don't care how badly it's frowned upon, I'm studying the subject that I love and I'm absolutely set on doing well (:
Reply 14
Original post by ilyking
same here, love the feeling when I get something right :banana:

Amen brother or sister. Nothing easy is worth doing, I have to keep telling myself that!
Reply 15
Because my Mother will kill me if I don't.. Plus, I love English Literature, along with the reading.
Original post by Calrik
Yeah as long as your interested in it it works, but eyes on the prize I guess?

Something like that mate yea. I love literature, but 'studying' it is another matter. I don't go to lectures or most classes - I'm just going through the motions enough to pass the first year really with the aim of either having more choice over modules or a course switch for the next year; hopefully this will improve the situation.

It could be a lot worse though - at least I'm not paying 9k a year.
Reply 17
Original post by Calrik
Amen brother or sister. Nothing easy is worth doing, I have to keep telling myself that!

well actually brother or sister, maths is easier because I'm absorbed into studying it! :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by ilyking
well actually brother or sister, maths is easier because I'm absorbed into studying it! :wink:

Good. :biggrin:
Reply 19
Haven't you heard? Education is your passport to life! :biggrin:

Quick Reply