The Student Room Group

IB vs AP vs A-levels.

Poll

Currently doing the...?

Alright, so the big debate has to be clarified (as settling it seems unlikely).

IB, AP, or A-levels which is most difficult for an average student and the pros/cons of each. This not only includes syllabus but work load as well. Exceptions (for e.g. taking more subjects than required and all that) are perfectly fine to compare (so 4hl in IB vs 5 a-levels, that kind of thing). Personal experiences and opinions are the things being looked for as there is no definite answer.

I'll go first, I'm currently doing the IB so its difficult for me to comprehend the other systems but I have talked to people and looked through syllabi and it seems to me that IB encompasses more but not at the same depth as A-levels (especially in sciences) and that's why requires a bit more time. Also exams are altogether in IB so the pressure builds at the end which is the major difference to A-levels and AP.

Talking to a few friends who graduated from IB and are enrolled in both British and American uni's, I've heard that first year of uni is lighter (work) than the two years of IB and that is why IB is good preparation for uni in terms of sheer work load.

Note: lets not slander any of the systems, but there's a thin line between slander and passionate debate so lets see where this takes us.
Reply 1
Seriously? I thought the thread would be lapped up.
Reply 2
did ib REALLY REALLY WISH I DID A LEVELS!!!
Reply 3
Original post by amsie/
did ib REALLY REALLY WISH I DID A LEVELS!!!

lol that about sums it up. How's it working out for you?
Reply 4
Original post by ultimategamer
lol that about sums it up. How's it working out for you?

was terrible- seriously- THERE IS A REASON WHY NO STATE SCHOOLS IN THE UK DO IT!
am retaking physics for may, i had a place at leicester and was 2 marks off but they only rejected me after a level results were released so i was too late to register for november :angry:
i have a bad feeling about all this but hoping to go qm london or leicester as back up again :biggrin:
BUT PHWOAR- WORST 2 YEARS OF MY LIFE, SERIOUSLY...NOT FOR THE POOR :frown:

I MEAN IT'S REALLY HARD TO GET ALL THE MONEY YOU NEED FOR IT- WHY THE NEG? my £30 ema was barely enough
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by amsie/
was terrible- seriously- THERE IS A REASON WHY NO STATE SCHOOLS IN THE UK DO IT!
am retaking physics for may, i had a place at leicester and was 2 marks off but they only rejected me after a level results were released so i was too late to register for november :angry:
i have a bad feeling about all this but hoping to go qm london or leicester as back up again :biggrin:

I did the IB at a state school......
Reply 6
I personally thought, not that it's easy to compare when you only do one, that the IB exams are generally harder than the AP ones.

This is a hard question simply because most people only do one system.
Reply 7
Original post by Flajamafloffl
I did the IB at a state school......

me too, i just mean now emas gettin cut... i spent all my ema on ib stuff i needed and got a scholarship for the oxford spring courses but still i had to spend a lot of money but my college had more resources for a levels :s-smilie:
Original post by amsie/
me too, i just mean now emas gettin cut... i spent all my ema on ib stuff i needed and got a scholarship for the oxford spring courses but still i had to spend a lot of money but my college had more resources for a levels :s-smilie:

Well there were 30 of us in a 6th form college for 6000 A level Students, so you tell me who got the priority. I spent my EMA on my books, and I had a 12 hour a week job that took up all of my weekend. I still had a social life, and exercised 4 times a week, as well as doing voluntary work from 5 till 9 on a Monday evening. I had no extra tuition. It's all about management of coursework so you have time to revise. The content isn't difficult, it just requires attention.
Reply 9
Original post by Flajamafloffl
Well there were 30 of us in a 6th form college for 6000 A level Students, so you tell me who got the priority. I spent my EMA on my books, and I had a 12 hour a week job that took up all of my weekend. I still had a social life, and exercised 4 times a week, as well as doing voluntary work from 5 till 9 on a Monday evening. I had no extra tuition. It's all about management of coursework so you have time to revise. The content isn't difficult, it just requires attention.

whoah... ok, there was about 18ish in our year out of 1000, we didn't really get any priority at all :s-smilie: i agree with that, i was all over the place last year so fingers crossed i'll know hl physics inside out this year seeing as it's the only subject i actually liked :biggrin:
ib books are freaking expensive :mad:
Reply 10
So, where does the Pre-U fit in all of this?
Original post by amsie/

Don't be such an arrogant ****. Next time work harder.
Reply 12
Original post by ViralRiver
Don't be such an arrogant ****. Next time work harder.

whaaat? what's wrong with you how is that being arrogant & i did work hard :mad:
for goodness sake, i meant that ib is REALLY HARD TO FUND!!!
unless you're pretty well off
Original post by amsie/
i'll know hl physics inside out this year seeing as it's the only subject i actually liked :biggrin:
ib books are freaking expensive :mad:

Original post by amsie/
ib is REALLY HARD TO FUND!!!
unless you're pretty well off

True, IB does cost a lot and so do the course companions and questionbanks and stuff. I'm doing HL physics as well, which topics are you having most troubles with? I know mechanics was a pain at first, but as you go through it, its used everywhere and so one just gets adjusted to it. And what options are you planning to take?
Reply 14
Original post by ultimategamer
True, IB does cost a lot and so do the course companions and questionbanks and stuff. I'm doing HL physics as well, which topics are you having most troubles with? I know mechanics was a pain at first, but as you go through it, its used everywhere and so one just gets adjusted to it. And what options are you planning to take?

:biggrin: yep, ah, quite a lot... probs mech, electricity and electromagnetic something :s-smilie: haha sorry not done much revision since may exams i might go back to college in a few months to go over hard bits, my teacher was really nice. I'm doing astro- which is the easiest and medical, just really facts so :redface:
and i never did get the hang of forces and fields :smile: the whole left/ right hand rule really confuses me... wbu?
Original post by amsie/
:biggrin: yep, ah, quite a lot... probs mech, electricity and electromagnetic something :s-smilie: haha sorry not done much revision since may exams i might go back to college in a few months to go over hard bits, my teacher was really nice. I'm doing astro- which is the easiest and medical, just really facts so :redface:
and i never did get the hang of forces and fields :smile: the whole left/ right hand rule really confuses me... wbu?

lol yeah, elec+magnetism and forces and fields can get real confusing at times. I think I'll do the waves and optics and relativity option. I think the energy, power and climate change topic they've put in is total bs, but easy marks. And core quantum is really nice, De Broglie wavelengths and all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending