The Student Room Group

Why do I constantly feel like something is missing in life?

Anon or delete please.

Basically, I have grown in a comfortable life where I have had pretty much anything I wanted (Partially on my own merit too). I actually would not trade my life with any other. I am good at what I do, good grades, not bad looking, nice bf, and I actually do not doubt my future. However, I constantly feel that there is something missing in life and this is what makes me not entirely happy?

I do appreciate what I have and feel that I am lucky. People have told me they admire me for whatever reason and remind me that I am lucky.

I have been told that life is simple, work hard, get married, have kids, but then what? Why do I feel that this is not enough? In my mind when somebody mentions this is the meaning of life, I think to myself, 'Really?' 'Is that it?' 'Oh my'. Somehow it doesn't fulfil me. What I am trying to understand is why I feel this way? Is it because I have had too much, too young, that things have no meaning anymore? Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate everything in my life...It's just that they do not fulfil me.

For example, I always thought I would like to own a designer bag in the future from working hard, but despite continuing to work hard, I no longer want one. I just think they are materialistic crap charged at a premium price and according to the brand. I guess some people need a brand to define them maybe? Coinciding with this problem is why am I not satisfied, but for some people they would go to such lengths such as fancying a man for his wallet to get one of these bags?

I'm really lost tbh. Can the lovely people of TSR help me see what I may not be seeing in life? Tell me why I am not satisfied/fulfilled sometimes? :confused:

Before you judge me, I am a really nice, down to earth, non-bitchy girl who just works hard for the things I want in life and will continue to do so.

Thanks for any help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

it's probably because there is nothing for you to look forward to, i feel the same way.
Reply 2
This is the question of life. Why? Why? Why am i here?

All humans feel this way subconciously.But because alot of us pollute ourselves with alchohol or other drugs that manipulate our thinking we have becomes 'zombies' and we forget the question. Im guessing you dont do alot of drinking or other drugs.

I guess well never know the answer to this. I used to constantly think what you did, at first I just partied constantly and bought myself everything I wanted. It all went well for about 6 months till I thought is this all their is to this. So I began looking into religion, I researched them all and found what I thought was the truth. I became extremely religious and spiritual. Until I found out it was another man made faith. So Im back to square one.

Even tony montana felt this way after all the wealth and respect he gained
Scarface to Manny:
"Is this it? Is this what it's all about, Manny? Eating, Drinking, ****ing, Sucking, [Come on, man] Snorting? Then what? Tell me, then what?................
(edited 13 years ago)
Join the club :biggrin:
Reply 4
i feel exactly the same way. im doing fine, got friends, at good uni, good prospects, good looking (or so im told lol). in other words i shud be perfectly happy, but like you i feel like theres something missing and am also not entirely "happy".
Original post by Anonymous
I guess some people need a brand to define them maybe?

Stuart Baggs from the apprentice certainly does!!
Well - this is the same reason that many celebs/rappers are turning to religion now.

They've had it all, seen it all, but there was still something missing.

The contentment I get from my religion supercedes all else :smile:
Anon or delete please.

Basically, I have grown in a comfortable life where I have had pretty much anything I wanted (Partially on my own merit too). I actually would not trade my life with any other. I am good at what I do, good grades, not bad looking, nice bf, and I actually do not doubt my future. However, I constantly feel that there is something missing in life and this is what makes me not entirely happy?

I do appreciate what I have and feel that I am lucky. People have told me they admire me for whatever reason and remind me that I am lucky.

I have been told that life is simple, work hard, get married, have kids, but then what? Why do I feel that this is not enough? In my mind when somebody mentions this is the meaning of life, I think to myself, 'Really?' 'Is that it?' 'Oh my'. Somehow it doesn't fulfil me. What I am trying to understand is why I feel this way? Is it because I have had too much, too young, that things have no meaning anymore? Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate everything in my life...It's just that they do not fulfil me.

For example, I always thought I would like to own a designer bag in the future from working hard, but despite continuing to work hard, I no longer want one. I just think they are materialistic crap charged at a premium price and according to the brand. I guess some people need a brand to define them maybe? Coinciding with this problem is why am I not satisfied, but for some people they would go to such lengths such as fancying a man for his wallet to get one of these bags?

I'm really lost tbh. Can the lovely people of TSR help me see what I may not be seeing in life? Tell me why I am not satisfied/fulfilled sometimes? :confused:

Before you judge me, I am a really nice, down to earth, non-bitchy girl who just works hard for the things I want in life and will continue to do so.

The purpose of life in the world for every living being is to bring you to the point where you ask 'what is the purpose of existence'. It is quite natural to feel this way because the universe is designed to bring you to this point of questioning.
You are in a priveleged position of reaching this point.Classically to be at this point is called good karma.
A poor person may think 'if only i was rich ,all my problems would be solved',but we know that well off people still have problems ,and further ambitions. A fat person may think 'if only i was thin...' but we know that not all thin people are fulfilled . Someone alone might wish for a relationship,but we know that many relationships can be hell.
And so it goes on,the carousel of life. Most people don't realize that they are on a carousel,but a few begin to sense they are ,and want to get off .
This is known as a stage of awakening. I assure you that if ,at this stage,you sincerely enquire ,even just inwardly ,asking 'what is the purpose of all this',then eventually bit-by-bit the true nature of you and the universe will be revealed. Jesus said'seek and ye shall find','knock and ye shall enter'.This is a universal promise that will be fulfilled.
Don't be put off by people who say 'oh no one knows the answer to all this'. This is just not true. If you get doubt on your journey then i suggest you google sri ramana maharshi 1879-1950,who was probably the greatest representative of Truth since the time of jesus and buddha.
This strange sense of something missing is really a blessing.It is really a call from ' God' (i use this term in a very broad sense) to awaken your soul.Good luck.
Look for God :smile:
Original post by Adam010
This is the question of life. Why? Why? Why am i here?

All humans feel this way subconciously.But because alot of us pollute ourselves with alchohol or other drugs that manipulate our thinking we have becomes 'zombies' and we forget the question. Im guessing you dont do alot of drinking or other drugs.

I guess well never know the answer to this. I used to constantly think what you did, at first I just partied constantly and bought myself everything I wanted. It all went well for about 6 months till I thought is this all their is to this. So I began looking into religion, I researched them all and found what I thought was the truth. I became extremely religious and spiritual. Until I found out it was another man made faith. So Im back to square one.

Even tony montana felt this way after all the wealth and respect he gained
Scarface to Manny:
"Is this it? Is this what it's all about, Manny? Eating, Drinking, ****ing, Sucking, [Come on, man] Snorting? Then what? Tell me, then what?................

Zero alcohol. I'm surprised you could tell. But I guess you are right in that respect. If I was intoxicated with alcohol and drugs to forget about life, I would probably not feel this way as it would all be blocked out. But I don't believe in abusing substances to mask the problems we face in life, rather than deal with the problem.
Reply 10
Try something different.

We're all under pressure from ourselves, our friends, our family. To behave a certain way, achieve certain goals. Basically, to want all of the same things everyone else does.

Forget about all the things you should want, and take some time to figure out who you really are and what you really want.

As it turns out, I'm far more happy camping half-way up a mountain, with no money in my pocket, drinking vodka with a bunch of strangers than I am with a well-paying London job, a house and a girlfriend. At this stage in my life, at least.
Reply 11
You need to come to terms with the fact life has no meaning.

You have to find what gives you most satisfaction.

You need to find comfort in love and the small good things.

Because lady, there ain't nothing else.

There ain't no deeper meaning, life's a bitch then you die. So grap what you can. Rape it for all it's worth. Don't regret a minute because when that minute's gone, it's gone, and when that week is gone, it's gone and when that year is gone, it's gone and when you die. You're dead.

So **** the neuroticism. **** the uncertainty. Grap life by both hands and squeeze every last laugh out it. Do things you wouldn't do. Be someone amazing. Cause when you ****ing die, no one's gonna give a **** and your world has disappeared.
Reply 12
Anon or delete please.

Because you're a normal human being, and aren't satisfied with what life gives you. Trust me when I say that everyone thinks there's a 'something missing' from their life. It's that whole 'grass is always greener' thing.

I agree with that whole thing about designer being overpriced. I love clothes but I'd much rather buy designer stuff from vintage stores where it's cheaper and people won't have the same things, I hate people having the same clothes I do! You're being perfectly normal by rejecting what society is telling you you should have, ie an expensive bag every season if you want to have any sort of status.

I guess the moral is to only do what makes you happy and what YOU want to do :smile: be glad that you're learning this lesson now and not when you're about 45 and realise that the steps you took in life weren't the ones you necessarily wanted to take but did so because you thought it was what you should be doing.

Sorry for the long reply and good luck!!
well ..
you feel that way because you dont have a goal in your life .. somewhere you would want to be... something you reallly want and would do anything to get it... u just need to find a meaning in your life... a point or an aim for you. think about what you like or what the people around you would like you to be or ay type of interest that would gve a meaning to your life and make you wan to live your life and admire the beauty of life.. hope that makes you feel any better

xx
Reply 14
However, I constantly feel that there is something missing in life and this is what makes me not entirely happy?

Just as Lou Reed says, Men of good fortune often wish that they could die, while men of poor beginnings want what they have and to get it they'll die. Do what makes you happy. Sounds like you want to slum it, to slag about a bit.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
You say you appreciate things, are you sure? Maybe if you did some volunteering work or something to help others you might feel a bit more 'whole'
Original post by 66CC99

Original post by 66CC99
You need to come to terms with the fact life has no meaning.

You have to find what gives you most satisfaction.

You need to find comfort in love and the small good things.

Because lady, there ain't nothing else.

There ain't no deeper meaning, life's a bitch then you die. So grap what you can. Rape it for all it's worth. Don't regret a minute because when that minute's gone, it's gone, and when that week is gone, it's gone and when that year is gone, it's gone and when you die. You're dead.

So **** the neuroticism. **** the uncertainty. Grap life by both hands and squeeze every last laugh out it. Do things you wouldn't do. Be someone amazing. Cause when you ****ing die, no one's gonna give a **** and your world has disappeared.

Thanks for that. That pretty much is true. :erm:
Reply 17
Anon or delete please.

...and apparently a bit conceited and sure of yourself too.
Original post by TravelGuru
You say you appreciate things, are you sure? Maybe if you did some volunteering work or something to help others you might feel a bit more 'whole'

I already do. It makes me feel better to help others because I have already had a privileged life. I honestly do enjoy doing it and have a heart. I feel for those in bad causes.
Original post by im so academic
Thanks for that. That pretty much is true. :erm:

I disagree:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest