The Student Room Group

What are lectures like?

Is it something that I've wondered about for a while. Obviously I'm sure it can differ from university to university but on the whole, what are undergraduate lectures like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anything from about 50 - 200 students there, you go, sit for an hour taking notes whilst the lecturer, well, lectures you.

Sometimes there'll be a brief question/answer section, but generally that discussion is reserved for tutorials as lecturers have a syllabus to get through.
In my lectures there are meant to be 80 people but usually there's only about 50. Some of them are really interesting and we'll sit and take notes attentively, others are just an excuse for a bloody amazing nap :P
Reply 3
What are lectures like: Boring. :tongue:
Reply 4
I feel so ignorant here haha. What is the general etiquette amongst the audience within lectures? I'm assuming people don't sit in them and just starting whispering to their neighbour or anything like that.
Reply 5
Just like in any class, you don't sit there chatting to your neighbour. I had one where the lecturer shouted at some guy for talking!
Reply 6
Original post by LiamTheKook
I feel so ignorant here haha. What is the general etiquette amongst the audience within lectures? I'm assuming people don't sit in them and just starting whispering to their neighbour or anything like that.

Can if you want, be prepared to get called out on it though.
Original post by chidona
Anything from about 50 - 200 students there, you go, sit for an hour taking notes whilst the lecturer, well, lectures you.

Sometimes there'll be a brief question/answer section, but generally that discussion is reserved for tutorials as lecturers have a syllabus to get through.

:lolwut:

For us, usually about 30 people are meant to come, in which case the average number there is 15.

Original post by AccioJellyBean
In my lectures there are meant to be 80 people but usually there's only about 50. Some of them are really interesting and we'll sit and take notes attentively, others are just an excuse for a bloody amazing nap :P
Reply 8
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
:lolwut:

For us, usually about 30 people are meant to come, in which case the average number there is 15.

Yeah, depends on the number of module choices and number of core modules for your subject. In first year more or less all my modules were about 150, in third year they average out to around 50 each.

Then again, my friend who has English has about 20 people per lecture, so eh.
intellectually stimulating :yep:
Amazing.
200-350 people in my lectures (or more when we are video linked), 50 minute lectures, uncomfortable seats.

Some lectures = really good, meaning I take lots of notes, know that it'll be useful for the exam!

Some lectures = properly crap, meaning my head will start bobbing and I will eventually fall asleep/start texting people instead.

Oh and some lectures = SO BAD THERE IS NO POINT YOU TURNING UP! STAY IN BED INSTEAD!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Crazy Paving
Amazing.

Answer to the integral in your sig:

House-boat.
Original post by chidona

Original post by chidona

House-boat.

Yes chidona m8. :yy:
Lectures are TIME FOR A NAP!
Reply 15
My lecturers manage to make the most interesting subject into the most mind numbing subject ever. By the half an hour mark you're gasping for freedom and when you're out you wonder how on earth they manage to make your loved subject such torture.
Fairly boring - I've never slept in one but I was dozing off and near sleep in one a couple weeks back

Can be interesting, informative, academic..
Reply 17
I've had lecture numbers between about 120 and 9 - and one day only one person turned up out of the 9 (2 assignments due that week)... the lecturer sent a sarcastic email.

Suppose the difference between a lecture and a lesson at school is the lecturer doesn't wander round checking if everyone's 'got it'.

when you print your timetable at the start of the year, the modules with large lecture groups will probably come up looking like there's a massive block of tutorial for the same module, possibly clashing with your other lecturers, but it's a series of tutorials for smaller groups & you'll only need to go to one.
Reply 18
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
What are lectures like: Boring. :tongue:

Just what I was going to say :p:

OP, some can be interesting, although when you're tired it can be really hard to concentrate!! Sometimes I drift in and out of what the lecturer is saying, so I only get half the lecture :p:
So moral of my experience is, try to get a proper sleeping pattern at uni (which is probably not gunna happen, but you can try :p:)
Reply 19
Original post by chidona

House-boat.

Oh man, I forgot to add "C" /facepalm

Now I get it xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending