Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Male_Melons

Shopping:

Liverpool One, as well as Liverpool City Centre
Cheshire Oaks
Trafford Centre
Manchester City Centre as well as the Arndale
Lowry Mall.

Other than Cheshire Oaks, where it's like a mad scientist has released some kind of disease that turns everyone who goes there into a filthy scally, I agree.
Original post by Peachz
I'd count Sheffield as the midlands although I suppose it does have the kind of working class vibe that the North West has. I live in Blackpool, a good 10 minute drive from the town centre, we don't get any of the drunks etc, that the town centre/attractions bring. I think its a nice place to live, there is little gang related crime etc, saying that though I do live in one of the more 'middle' class areas. The only thing that is missing is that there isn't much going on but with Liverpool/Manchester not too far away and there is Preston not too far as well, thats not too big of a concern.

I'd certainly consider living up here. The lack of jobs however is a little concerning :biggrin:.

It's Yorkshire! :eek:
South Yorkshire admittedly, but we still like our tractors. :teeth:
Original post by Addzter
Other than Cheshire Oaks, where it's like a mad scientist has released some kind of disease that turns everyone who goes there into a filthy scally, I agree.

Cheshire Oaks is a bit of a hit and miss.. I have bought things from there.

Has it turned scally? I never realised it, it has been ages :colondollar:

Arndale is scally.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
The north-west? You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Ignorance at its best.
Cheshire Oaks is a bit of a hit and miss.. I have bought things from there.

Has it turned scally? I never realised it, it has been ages :colondollar:

Arndale is scally.

Ugh, yeah it has. When I used to go as a kid I didn't notice it, but the last time I went, if you'd have paid me £1 for every shellsuit-wearing prick that I saw, I'd have at least £100. :ashamed2: Never had the pleasure of visiting the Arndale; I'm more of a TC man when it comes to Manchester shopping.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Addzter
Ugh, yeah it has. When I used to go as a kid I didn't notice it, but the last time I went, if you'd have paid me £1 for every shellsuit-wearing prick that I saw, I'd have at least £100. :ashamed2: Never had the pleasure of visiting the Arndale; I'm more of a TC man when it comes to Manchester shopping.

Same, I never noticed but I was a kid. lol
Same, TC is amazing, but arndale - scallies. On the plus side, the Arndale has bigger stores...
Still go to trafford centre.
I live Liverpool One, cos it is different.

When it comes down to shopping, it is just tc all the way.
Same, I never noticed but I was a kid. lol
Same, TC is amazing, but arndale - scallies. On the plus side, the Arndale has bigger stores...
Still go to trafford centre.
I live Liverpool One, cos it is different.

When it comes down to shopping, it is just tc all the way.

What's Liverpool One like? I hear there's an Apple Store there, which I'll have to add to my list of Apple Stores that I've visited.

But hell yeah, the Trafford Centre is the Kelly Brook of out-of-town shopping centres. I've not been in a year, though. :frown: Do they still have that awesome Old Orleans restaurant there, because they make some ****ing awesome nosh. May have to make a trip there for the sales if they do. :awesome:
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
I know, but it's in the north and only an hour from Manchester.
Plus most northern cities have similar characteristics.

Naww, m8 Sheffield isn't in the North West you're not part of the family. :hand:

Sheffield's okay, but I can take or leave it.

You can't go wrong with The Golden Triangle: Manchester, Liverpool and Chester. :teehee:
As you've pointed out, I think there is a lot of culture and soul to the places and I honestly don't think Northerners in general are as up their own arses as those bloody Southerners.
There's also owt (:ahee:) to do, plus let's be honest the North has churned out some of the best music this nation has ever seen; The Beatles, The Smiths, Oasis, The Stone Roses, Morrissey, Kaiser Chiefs etc etc blah blah blah.
Original post by Addzter
What's Liverpool One like? I hear there's an Apple Store there, which I'll have to add to my list of Apple Stores that I've visited.

But hell yeah, the Trafford Centre is the Kelly Brook of out-of-town shopping centres. I've not been in a year, though. :frown: Do they still have that awesome Old Orleans restaurant there, because they make some ****ing awesome nosh. May have to make a trip there for the sales if they do. :awesome:

Liverpool One is amazing. It is different. Don't compare it to the trafford centre, you'll be disappointed. It is good. I love their John Lewis stores. The best time to go Liverpool One is in the summer. It has no roof. It really is good.

Trafford Centre is the Angelina Jolie. I am there nearly every day or every other day. I don't work there. I, sometimes pop in for 10 minutes to pick stuff up or drop off a letter in the post office. I ruined it as a destination place. lol.
I think it has gone, not sure. I not seen it. To be fair, I not been past it for ageeeees. All I know they another restaurant in the printworks in Manchester City Centre.
I am more of a nandos person. :colondollar:
Original post by lovely_me
Naww, m8 Sheffield isn't in the North West you're not part of the family. :hand:

Sheffield's okay, but I can take or leave it.

You can't go wrong with The Golden Triangle: Manchester, Liverpool and Chester. :teehee:
As you've pointed out, I think there is a lot of culture and soul to the places and I honestly don't think Northerners in general are as up their own arses as those bloody Southerners.
There's also owt (:ahee:) to do, plus let's be honest the North has churned out some of the best music this nation has ever seen; The Beatles, The Smiths, Oasis, The Stone Roses, Morrissey, Kaiser Chiefs etc etc blah blah blah.

Manchester, Liverpool... Chester has gone down and will be replaced by Preston...
Liverpool One is amazing. It is different. Don't compare it to the trafford centre, you'll be disappointed. It is good. I love their John Lewis stores. The best time to go Liverpool One is in the summer. It has no roof. It really is good.

Trafford Centre is the Angelina Jolie. I am there nearly every day or every other day. I don't work there. I, sometimes pop in for 10 minutes to pick stuff up or drop off a letter in the post office. I ruined it as a destination place. lol.
I think it has gone, not sure. I not seen it. To be fair, I not been past it for ageeeees. All I know they another restaurant in the printworks in Manchester City Centre.
I am more of a nandos person. :colondollar:

Ah damn, I don't live near enough to be there every day. I've got to make do with the local ASDA for all my day-to-day needs. :frown:

No way! It was so awesome, with it's massive picture of that black guy on the wall on the way in. They did the nicest squid bites ever. Nando's is alright, but it's not a patch on Old Orleans. :ahee:
Manchester, Liverpool... Chester has gone down and will be replaced by Preston...

Pfft, come back when Preston's got its own C4 afternoon soap set there and we'll talk. Chester's the bomb, pal!
Original post by Addzter
Ah damn, I don't live near enough to be there every day. I've got to make do with the local ASDA for all my day-to-day needs. :frown:

No way! It was so awesome, with it's massive picture of that black guy on the wall on the way in. They did the nicest squid bites ever. Nando's is alright, but it's not a patch on Old Orleans. :ahee:

I am going try Old Orleans, if I go. I try and go there when I am off university.lol
What is the squid? I never tasted it. I am going to try it. I probably going to tc this week due to the sales... I will see.

On a different note:
Tesco is better.

I noticed Asda attracts chavs. I am even surprised go to the asda opposite trafford centre, they do.

Tesco attracts it's fair share but no where near the same scale as Asda does.

I am tesco, guy myself. Although for Lunch, waitrose is good enough for me. loool.
I love the North West. Much better than London for me.
Original post by Addzter
Pfft, come back when Preston's got its own C4 afternoon soap set there and we'll talk. Chester's the bomb, pal!

Liverpool had Brookside, now gone.

To be fair on Preston, Coronation Street does feature more Lancastrian accents than Mancunian (now that Manchester has grown up and gone off to be it's own county)...

I disagree. :pierre:

I think Chester is a really nice city, although admittedly fairly small. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Lancashire but Preston is a bit of a craphole although I've only been a few times for gigs and what not. :h:

Chester is quite posh really, although this is coming from a Manc so I might have a different perception. :colondollar: It's lovely in Winter when they have the lights up, and they have some decent shops and boutiques there also. I would say Chester is the upper class man's Manchester, although of course Manchester has that contemporary feel to it.
Original post by lovely_me
I disagree. :pierre:

I think Chester is a really nice city, although admittedly fairly small. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Lancashire but Preston is a bit of a craphole although I've only been a few times for gigs and what not. :h:

Chester is quite posh really, although this is coming from a Manc so I might have a different perception. :colondollar: It's lovely in Winter when they have the lights up, and they have some decent shops and boutiques there also. I would say Chester is the upper class man's Manchester, although of course Manchester has that contemporary feel to it.

I agree with you on Chester. It will be upstaged...

Preston Tithebarn
I am going try Old Orleans, if I go. I try and go there when I am off university.lol
What is the squid? I never tasted it. I am going to try it. I probably going to tc this week due to the sales... I will see.

On a different note:
Tesco is better.

I noticed Asda attracts chavs. I am even surprised go to the asda opposite trafford centre, they do.

Tesco attracts it's fair share but no where near the same scale as Asda does.

I am tesco, guy myself. Although for Lunch, waitrose is good enough for me. loool.

Yeah, get the squid bites if you go in there, they're delicious with the dips you can get. I think they're a starter but I just had 'em as a light lunch with a plate of chips and a coke and they were b-e-a-utiful.

Tesco's exotic to me; all I have to choose from is ASDA, Morrisons (which, indicentally, is the chavviest supermarket in town for some reason) and a little Co-op corner shop at the end of my road. Be grateful you have so much choice!

And Corrie may feature Lancastrian accents, but Hollyoaks is actually set in Chester. May not be filmed there, BUT STILL! :biggrin:
Reply 38
I'm from Manchester, but I've spent 3 years in Liverpool at Uni. I never wanted to leave the North-West because ... what's the point? It has everything you could need. That said, I've only been down south a couple of times but from what I've experienced so far, it has nothing on the north!
Original post by Addzter
Yeah, get the squid bites if you go in there, they're delicious with the dips you can get. I think they're a starter but I just had 'em as a light lunch with a plate of chips and a coke and they were b-e-a-utiful.

Tesco's exotic to me; all I have to choose from is ASDA, Morrisons (which, indicentally, is the chavviest supermarket in town for some reason) and a little Co-op corner shop at the end of my road. Be grateful you have so much choice!

And Corrie may feature Lancastrian accents, but Hollyoaks is actually set in Chester. May not be filmed there, BUT STILL! :biggrin:

I am going to try it...

Tesco is exotic...lol. Tesco is better. Hate Morrrison- everything is so pricey. Asda tends to be chavviest- it is up the road from tesco (only 5-6 minutes away).

The Co-op is great. It is between Tesco and Mark's and Spencers. It not so chavvy but it is not so classy. Just between.

Hollyoaks-Still counts...
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending