The Student Room Group

Wanna do Medicine or business/economics & management at uni. A-Level choice HELP!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jwn09
I faced the same dilemma and took:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
F. maths
Economics.

Then dropped econ for A2.

Thought those subjects left it nicely open for me... if I would have decided against medicine, I could have dropped bio/chem.

oh cool, what made you drop??
Reply 21
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Further Maths isn't accepted by Medical schools.

Not by most, but it was included in my offer for Imperial... and AAAC was a lot less pressure than AAA.
I would gain some work experience in medicine first, because that alone could make the decision for you. It is not something you want to go into half-arsed!
Reply 23
Original post by jwn09
Not by most, but it was included in my offer for Imperial... and AAAC was a lot less pressure than AAA.

how is it a "less pressure" if you have to get 3a's and a pass instead of 3a's
Reply 24
Original post by Omg!Rly?
oh cool, what made you drop??

I'd made up my mind about medicine by that point. It was then between further maths and econ (or neither) and I just chose the one I enjoyed most.. I actually expected further maths to be ignored but like I said above, it eventually made my offer slightly easier!
Reply 25
Original post by a moist feeling
I would gain some work experience in medicine first, because that alone could make the decision for you. It is not something you want to go into half-arsed!

I do have some experience as a patient when I was around 7-8 and I do intend to get some W/E

A that time, I thought doctors were 'cooler' then batman LOL
Reply 26
how is it a "less pressure" if you have to get 3a's and a pass instead of 3a's

Taking 3 subjects knowing you have to get As in all of them vs. taking 4 and knowing you can afford to slip up on one of them. Being non-subject specific also meant I could get a C in chemistry almost all other offers wouldn't allow.
How about

chemistry
biology
maths
economics
an essay subject

think about what kind of person you are------people/communications/compassionate or very driven, mathsy, perhaps a bit ruthless- there are a couple of online quiz things you can do eg 'futurewise' which try and match your personality to career choice

perhaps organise work experience to give you a bit of a taster. also some universities do taster days in subjects such as medicine and economics so you can get a feel for what you might enjoy.
Reply 28
Original post by jwn09
Taking 3 subjects knowing you have to get As in all of them vs. taking 4 and knowing you can afford to slip up on one of them. Being non-subject specific also meant I could get a C in chemistry almost all other offers wouldn't allow.

Oh wicked. Imperial is awesome, I got a cousin there in Southside hall I think and visited her; blown away.

if you don't mind me asking, what were your gcse's?
Reply 29
Do maths, further maths, bio, chem and econ for AS. If you decide to do econ, drop bio. If you decide to do medicine, drop further maths. If you don't take maths, further maths, and maybe economics (not a requirement at most places but good to have prior knowledge of the subject), you will be at a disadvantage if you apply for economics. Another point is if you are still doing your GCSEs, try and aim for 9+ A*s. It will immensely help if you apply to LSE, UCL, Oxbridge (although less than the others) or Warwick for econ, and will also help at some med schools, such as Oxford and Birmingham.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Oh wicked. Imperial is awesome, I got a cousin there in Southside hall I think and visited her; blown away.

if you don't mind me asking, what were your gcse's?

I'm in Southside :cool:.

Re-read last post and didn't seem all too clear.. essentially means you can flop one subject (or at the very least a paper) so you're given more flexibility.

I got 7 A*s and 3 As. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more or if you want any advice/info about ICSM.
Reply 31
Original post by jwn09
I'm in Southside :cool:.

Re-read last post and didn't seem all too clear.. essentially means you can flop one subject (or at the very least a paper) so you're given more flexibility.

I got 7 A*s and 3 As. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more or if you want any advice/info about ICSM.

Awesome thanks
For medicine (know little about any other courses tbh):

Just so long as you do biology and chemistry at A-level, your third A-level could be maths/physics/economics and make no difference. If you do four, the 4th can be more or less whatever the hell you want, because it's surplus anyway*.

Certainly at AS-level, really so long as you have biology and chemistry, just do what you want. There won't be any advantage gained from Bio/chem/maths/physics/economics over Bio/chem/maths/FM/economics or visa versa (or other combos along these lines).

The advantage you can gain is in doing subjects you enjoy and will do well at.

*Okay this isn't strictly true, it's surplus if you do well enough - see edit

EDIT:

Awesome thanks

You can't rely on getting an offer that is as flexible as that.

For example I did four A-levels and my offer was "AAB to include biology and chemistry".
- So I could get a B in one of bio or chem, but not both.

- If I got a B in bio or chem, I would need an A in one of my other two subjects, but if I achieved that then the other was effectively pointless.

- If I got As in bio and chem, only need a B from one of the two other subjects. I'm sure you could work it out :wink:

So with your choice.. say you compare you taking bio/chem/maths/FM, with you taking bio/chem/maths/physics (or economics) at A-level. Say for example, you get an A*AA offer (I'm not fully up to date on what offers are like at the moment):

- If you can get A*AA out of bio/chem/maths your fourth A-level is totally irrelevant.

- If you can't meet the grades in bio/chem, it's probably still irrelevant as you won't be going (unless you get a lovely offer like the person you quoted, or your medschool doesn't need them both, in which case see below).

- BUT.. if you fall short in maths, the 4th might save you.. but depending on the medschool only if it is physics/economics not if it's FM (because they may not count it). EDIT: Yet, my dad teaches A-level maths and further maths, he has never seen a student do better in FM than in Maths, so this scenario really probably isn't going to crop up.

- Some medschools want bio and chem at A-level, some only need one so you might get a more flexible offer and be able to flunk one of them (I would recommend having them both at A2 anyway). But again, if FM is your 4th you can only afford to flunk bio or chem in this scenario if the medschool in question counts FM as suitable.

So that may come into your considerations. Even so, I would say it is a small consideration, if you enjoy FM a lot more than physics or economics.
No use having physics as a 4th A-level "because it counts" if you wouldn't do well enough in it for it to help you anyway.
And you could always apply to medschools which appreciate FM :tongue:

At AS level, do bio/chem/maths and really whatever two subjects you feel like out of the others. Certainly doing FM at AS-level will not affect you in the least.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by BeanofJelly
X

Thanks for taking your time to write this.

Due to my love for maths I have decided to take FM instead of physics as I'm more likely to flourish at maths

so my choice would be chem, bio, maths, FM, Econ.

I have a question, my maths teacher who said FM is only easy (to get a good grade) if you understand the formulas and how to apply them etc.

Unlike GCSE maths, you can't get away with regurgitating maths formula like a goat in FM.

That is what he said. I haven't got a clue what he's on about. Could you clarify and give me your point of view?

Due to my love for maths I have decided to take FM instead of physics as I'm more likely to flourish at maths

I have a question, my maths teacher who said FM is only easy (to get a good grade) if you understand the formulas and how to apply them etc.

Unlike GCSE maths, you can't get away with regurgitating maths formula like a goat in FM.

That is what he said. I haven't got a clue what he's on about. Could you clarify and give me your point of view?

Well I haven't done FM so I wouldn't know, but I asked my dad "how much of further maths is understanding and how much is memorisation?"

And his response was "oh it's 90% understanding"
Chem A2
Bio A2
Math A2

Economics or Physics
Reply 36
Original post by Seham
Chem A2
Bio A2
Math A2

Economics or Physics

Im gonna do AS btw
Reply 37
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
OP I suggest:

Bio
Chem
Maths
+ Economics

Actually, they are more related than you would think. GPs spring to mind, especially with the changes the coalition government have proposed.

REP!!

YES they totally are they also have similar career anchors
Im gonna do AS btw

I know. I mean do those subjects to A-level and do the other two to AS. :smile:
Reply 39

I would definitely recommend you to stick with this current combination. FM>physics for economics, and you have 4 distinct subjects with bio, chem, maths and econ for medicine anyway. That you would enjoy FM more than physics is an added bonus.
I think understanding is more important for further maths than maths. I would say you can get through maths by doing past papers, so you learn how to do the papers, although understanding will help. I haven't completed further maths, but so far it does seem like understanding is more important. For example, you might have to take a method and adapt it for a slightly different situation.

Quick Reply

Latest