The Student Room Group

The North-West, living there

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peachz
You can say this about any place in the UK...

No, that's genuinely the Major of Blackpool, in his traditional robes, posing for some tourists in the Pleasure Beach.
Reply 61
I'm from Liverpool so I'm a bit biased, but I love the north west!
I'm (probably) staying here for University next year, but we'll have to see :smile:
Reply 62
Hmm, every supermarket round here hires security guards and I'm not from that bad an area.

Original post by Addzter
You might have sunnier weather, but us Northerners have sunshine in our hearts. Unlike you dead-inside, stuck-up, pretentious, Southern tossers. :pierre:

Although at least we share a mutual disdain of lady chavs. :smile:

Best. Post. Ever.
Original post by Addzter
Pfft, whatever. ASDA will always have a special place in my heard. Tesco can go suck a chode tbh.

Whoa, what's with all this ASDA hate? In my town, ASDA is the main haunt of the local intellectuals. We gather on the whiskey aisle and discuss whether Katy Perry or Shakira is fitter.

And I do agree, Morrisons employing security guards is weird. They also tend to be fat and distinctly un-intimidating. I swear one of the ones that works at my local branch is Peter Kay's brother.

hahaha. Only chavs would listen to Katy Perry or Shakira (if they can get a visa).

But tesco- less chavs, far classier, far more choice, the real deal. Amazing place. Tesco is main haunt for most intellectual in the local area... oh aye.
Original post by Laertes
Hmm, every supermarket round here hires security guards and I'm not from that bad an area.

Best. Post. Ever.

What can I say, some of these Suvvern ****ers need a wake up call.
Original post by Smiling...Rain
Eh?
TC has way more 'scallies' than the arndale.
I think the TC lost it's appeal to everyone when the arcade did :p:
It just doesn't have the buzz of the centre..

Agreed to an extent, tc has lost some of it's appeal. But Arndale does have way more scallies- BHS corner, food court, Arndale has got pound shop and posh aldi.

None of that in trafford centre.
Original post by The_Male_Melons
hahaha. Only chavs would listen to Katy Perry or Shakira (if they can get a visa).

But tesco- less chavs, far classier, far more choice, the real deal. Amazing place. Tesco is main haunt for most intellectual in the local area... oh aye.

Well we don't only discuss the merits of various female popstars, we also partake in other intellectual pursuits, like ****ing into the copies of FHM and putting them back on the rack.

I disagree. ASDA will always be the MENSA of supermarkets in my book.
Original post by Peachz
You can say this about any place in the UK...

Exactly! Blackpool is the Las Vegas of Britain!

They even have a unique cycle of poverty, although it has its parallels with Dubai slums, where the kids leave their local comps and education at sixteen and go out to work on the prom selling novelty hats then retire at 30 living off benefits.

I love Blackpool and its charming locals, often seen sullenly meandering around the pier with their Lidl bags. There's no where in the world like it. :daydreaming:
Original post by lovely_me
Exactly! Blackpool is the Las Vegas of Britain!

They even have a unique cycle of poverty, although it has its parallels with Dubai slums, where the kids leave their local comps and education at sixteen and go out to work on the prom selling novelty hats then retire at 30 living off benefits.

I love Blackpool and its charming locals, often seen sullenly meandering around the pier with their Lidl bags. There's no where in the world like it. :daydreaming:

:lol:

They also have the highest proportion of pink tracksuit-donning Vicky Pollard lookalikes per capita in the whole of Europe. :fyi:
Original post by Addzter
Well we don't only discuss the merits of various female popstars, we also partake in other intellectual pursuits, like ****ing into the copies of FHM and putting them back on the rack.

I disagree. ASDA will always be the MENSA of supermarkets in my book.

Looking into copies of FHM. Really classy.

In tesco, they tend turn over the page of Daily Mail (that middle class ignorant newspaper) we are regularly talking about Holly Willoughbies "this mornings", if not Kelly Brook's cakes... They go for the classy types.

Tesco is the MENSA of Supermarkets.
Looking into copies of FHM. Really classy.

In tesco, they tend turn over the page of Daily Mail (that middle class ignorant newspaper) we are regularly talking about Holly Willoughbies "this mornings", if not Kelly Brook's cakes... They go for the classy types.

Tesco is the MENSA of Supermarkets.

I completely disagree! My ASDA is so classy, instead of displaying the front of the Sun on the newspaper stand, they just turn them over to Page 3 and use that.

Pfft, so Tesco's full of Daily Mail readers. All that shows is that the patrons are obsessed with Diana and hate brown folk.
Reply 71
OK, this can't derail into arguments, personal etc.
Don't be afraid of being earnest, just try and post some good insightful stuff on cultural and people differences, I would find it very useful as moving there is something I've seriously considered. If there is still great pride there it would be good, but if it's full of cynicism then it wouldn't.
x.

Original post by Addzter
x

Now now lads, I think we can all agree Netto is the elite of supermarkets. The pregnant Chavvy scum who usually visit Iceland think they're too good for Netto, so I think we get the last laugh: economy prices as well as avoidance of the Jeremy Kyle brigade!

This feels like a Deja Vu of when Asda and Tesco bitch fight on the telly, Jack and Vera Duckworth style. :rolleyes:
Original post by lovely_me
Now now lads, I think we can all agree Netto is the elite of supermarkets. The pregnant Chavvy scum who usually visit Iceland think they're too good for Netto, so I think we get the last laugh: economy prices as well as avoidance of the Jeremy Kyle brigade!

This feels like a Deja Vu of when Asda and Tesco bitch fight on the telly, Jack and Vera Duckworth style. :rolleyes:

Netto? Pfft, typical frugal Jew. :rolleyes: Their own-brand beans are literally just a tin can that someone's farted into and sealed up.

I'm not backing down; ASDA's the king of supermarkets and that's that. :angry:
Bad accents.
Massive north - south financial divide
Hard to find jobs... unless you want to work in one of the many pie shops.
Reply 75
The way I look at it, if you are a stranger in the north west and you're waiting for a bus, the people waiting with you will, in the time that you're sitting there, have had such an in depth, friendly chat with you that you've felt like you've known them all your life. This happens especially in Liverpool but Manchester is also lovely in that respect.

Whenever I've been to London I've been impressed by the buildings, blah, blah, but the people (or who I've spoken to) seem...cold.

Of course this is just my perception, and also because I'm ever so slightly biased :P

Plus whilst we're on the subject of architecture can I just mention Liverpool's beautiful water front.

Reply 76
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
Bad accents.

You claim to live in Manchesta but you have the audacity to disrespect Pie shops :curious:

Why do you hold a grudge against pie's?

They're so tasty :cry2:
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
Bad accents.

Bugger off.

http://memegenerator.net/XZIBIT/ImageMacro/4660622/MAN-U-CANT-BE-SERIOUS-YOU-TROLLING

http://memegenerator.net/XZIBIT/ImageMacro/4660649/OOK-YOU-SERIOUS
Original post by Addzter
Netto? Pfft, typical frugal Jew. :rolleyes: Their own-brand beans are literally just a tin can that someone's farted into and sealed up.

I'm not backing down; ASDA's the king of supermarkets and that's that. :angry:

You might as well chuckle, we Jews own all the supermarkets. :rolleyes:

Nowt wrong with a tin of Netto beans! :angry: It's called continental style, although I supposed you're so warped by Asda's chemicals wrapped up in lard style food you wouldn't appreciate anything else.

Quick Reply