The Student Room Group

My new girlfriend's dad thinks I'm a dick

As the title says really.

I met the parents of my new girlfriend the other night, I was perfectly polite, chatty, ate the dinner they gave me, helped them out with bringing their Christmas presents downstairs, took their daughter out and made sure she was back (in a car) well in advance of the time they specified for her to be home.

Still though, he thinks I'm a dick.

What can I do? I thought that I could be persistent and show him that I'm not a dick and I have no intention of hurting his daughter, but that sounds boring. Anyone got any more interesting suggestions on how to deal with this? The funnier the better.. I just need some cheering up I think, come on TSR! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hang on... are you a girl or a guy?
I'm a girl :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ApplePi

:ditto:
Reply 4
some dads are like that even if you were perfect he wouldn't think you were good enough for his daughter give him time or....i can't think of anything funny haha
Reply 5
Original post by ApplePi

Her profile says girl, orientation says gay. Do your research :colonhash:
Original post by Victor-PP
:ditto:

See above, although I'm not sure why it's relevant xD
Reply 7
How do you know he thinks you're a dick?
threesome with moi?
Are they against lesbians? Or has your girlfriend had previous girlfriends?
Just continue to be nice, sounds like you're doing the right thing :smile:
was there anything at all that you might have done?
what sort of thing did he do so you could tell he thought so?
there's always a small chance it was shyness..and if you're a lesbian, maybe he wasn't too sure about how to act? :dontknow:
Original post by Cybele
How do you know he thinks you're a dick?

Because he told her so, and an argument began over it, which lead to her coming to my house in a very foul mood :p:
Reply 12
Hmmm - how does he feel about his daughter bein ggay? maybe he hasnt come to terms with it yet?
Reply 13
Maybe he hasn't accepted that his daughter is a lesbian?
Original post by ElectronicPanda
was there anything at all that you might have done?
what sort of thing did he do so you could tell he thought so?
there's always a small chance it was shyness..and if you're a lesbian, maybe he wasn't too sure about how to act? :dontknow:

Ummm, drank the can of beer that he offered me? I really don't know xD I guess I'll just have to carry on being nice when I'm round there...or just kill him :colonhash:
Reply 15
Are you a bit butch? could you 'male bond' with him over a discussion of car engines or motorised garden equipment?
Reply 16
The reason I asked was because I thought it might be because of the reasons the above posters have replied with ^. Sounds like he isn't happy with the idea of his daughter being gay :/ it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong!
Reply 17
He might not be a fan of sin?
Give it time, maybe he wants to get to know you first. Most in-laws are like this. However my partners parents are dicks and I've known them 3 years, so maybe not.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think it is my gender that is the issue, as she's had other girlfriends before and they've never had an issue with it. Her mum seems lovely, and I really like the girl, but the dad has puzzled me somewhat..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending