The Student Room Group

Official Thread For OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teshnit
I absolutely hate this module and the mechanics module, have to do this both in jan grrr, nailed the electro/waves ones 128/150 but these two "easier" modules are doing my head in, i honestly can't do it aaahhhh, anyone got any exceptionally good notes/condensed list or something to help me get going?

Im doing Mechanics and Newtonian aswell. I have got 2 Ds on mechanics so far, so Im hoping 2rd time lucky :P

I got 128 UMS aswell on Electrons, Waves and Photons. We are just too cool! :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by Knight of Cydonia
Im doing Mechanics and Newtonian aswell. I have got 2 Ds on mechanics so far, so Im hoping 2rd time lucky :P

I got 128 UMS aswell on Electrons, Waves and Photons. We are just too cool! :biggrin:

Haha we must be, so far in the mechanics i got 63/90 first time a C, and second time 52/90 a D, so not looking good for me :frown: probs get an E now ffs
Reply 22

Im doing Chemistry on OCR aswell :biggrin:

Luckily, I dont have any A2 modules this jan, but Im retaking F322 (Last June) since I got a C and could have done better :/

I'm retaking the F322 too! I was 5 marks off an A :angry:
Trying to make it an A overall for AS
Any legacy papers available??
Reply 23
got physics biology chemistry ab maths xD all As level, propper crapping myself
Reply 24
Original post by nirvana001
Anyone have a copy of the Newtonian World paper from june? cnt find it anywhere... its driving me crazy!! :smile:

I have a paper copy of both the paper and the markscheme for the june 2010 paper. I am trying to get hold of a scanner to scan it up on to this. I will do this within a couple of days. :wizard:
Reply 25
Original post by jahangir75

I have a paper copy of both the paper and the markscheme for the june 2010 paper. I am trying to get hold of a scanner to scan it up on to this. I will do this within a couple of days. :wizard:

Thank you so much!!
Reply 26
http://www.srepapmaxeeeerf.org/A%20Level/
A past paper site with the legacy physics. Its in Physics>OCR>Physics A>2824 or WPP
Reply 27

Thanks, Im looking forward to it
Reply 28
Quick Question:

F = - (GMm)/ r^2

In the CGP book it says:

"The negative sign shows that the vector F is in the oppposite direction to r (displacement of m from M)."

I don't get this, can someone explain?

Thanks.
Reply 29
in most equations/questions on the paper it works without the negative sign, however the sign is there to show its direction is in the opposite direction of the radius, ie the length between the masses goes ----> that way and the force is measured for <----- that direction. Ofc you know vectors have magnitude and a direction, therefore the negative sign provides the direction, most exam questions will ask for the magnitude as far as i have seen then again i havent started physics revision yet so this could all be wrong if it is im sorry :P
Anyone else think that thermal physics may be one of the dullest topics in the world?
Reply 31
is thermal physics the E=ml E=mc/\temp etc? Because then yes, yes it is!! especially will hate it if a draw an experiment of the latent heat/evaporation/fusion thing comes up, as there's so many components and steps to it i will never be able to write it all out to get the marks, thats to say if i get the right experiment in my head :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by M_I
Quick Question:

F = - (GMm)/ r^2

In the CGP book it says:

"The negative sign shows that the vector F is in the oppposite direction to r (displacement of m from M)."

I don't get this, can someone explain?

Thanks.

Lets use an example of the earth and moon.

So we could choose the earth as M and moon as m or the other way around, it makes no difference

If we chose the earth as M, then r is the distance from the earth to the moon (the radius). Because r is a vector, it has direction and magnitude. The direction is towards the moon.

Force is also a vector quantity

So when we put everything into the equation, we will get the force in the direction towards the moon. So, if you want the direction of the force towards the earth, you must put a minus (-) sign infront.

But for the newtonian world exam you can just forget the minus sign as the gravitational force from the moon on the earth=earth to moon. And in our exam you would never take distances as negative because they always say magnitude in the exam

Hope it helps, and good luck with the exam :smile:
Original post by teshnit
is thermal physics the E=ml E=mc/\temp etc? Because then yes, yes it is!! especially will hate it if a draw an experiment of the latent heat/evaporation/fusion thing comes up, as there's so many components and steps to it i will never be able to write it all out to get the marks, thats to say if i get the right experiment in my head :frown:

The Jan 2010 paper had a question of drawing the experiment for it, I got 2 marks out of 8 as I forgot to put loads of stuff in, I hated that question :P
Reply 34
The Jan 2010 paper had a question of drawing the experiment for it, I got 2 marks out of 8 as I forgot to put loads of stuff in, I hated that question :P

Yeh i had that test as a mock, i got an E in it, which wasnt good, as i got a B in the previous mock lol. I got 3/8 on that question and literally filled out the double page spread because i read the whole experiment literally 20mins before the test, yet failed to state clearly the key points instead i wrote everything i could remember down, i learnt then that in those type of questions, just bang down the key parts measurements and there units, no sentence waffley stuff, and just sort of bullet point the experiment and state the equation and rearrange it, and for the improvements bit, read the question because how the question is structured can heavily affect the answer you supposed to put down
Reply 35
Original post by sc0307
Thank you so much!!

Heres the first 5 pages of the june 2010 paper. :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by brut3forc3

Heres the last 5 pages of the june 2010 paper. :smile:

Markscheme to follow. :colondollar:
Reply 37
Original post by brut3forc3

As promised. The Mark Scheme for the June 2010 Paper. :wink:

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 38
Thank you sooo much, im sure this will help loads of other people too.
Lucky you peeps. I do WJEC GRRR anyways does this module include waves and quantum physics? if so,then I might lurk around =p
EDIT: NVM JUST READ THE SPEC. it's 482 <_< oh well :frown: anyways still ask me on any physics related question.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending