The Student Room Group

WHY ON EARTH do you aim so high in your studies?

Scroll to see replies

I have a sense of a fear of failure. I would be really upset if I failed say English/History/Maths ie: a core unit, but something like Citizenship or DT Graphics would not affect me at all(I got an E in Citizenship and an F in DT Graphics(I loathed it)

I was predicted A's and B's(still wouldn't be as good as some people here though!) though received mainly C's with one A :frown: This was a direct result of me hardly putting any revision in. Now, I've upped my game and am trying to go to the absolute top and continuously handing in assignments. A lot of it is personal pride, when you aim for a high grade

If you do aim for high grades, then you can also get a better job(provided you put the work in as well) A friend of a friend could spell "FUDGE" with their GCSE's as they were that bad
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ColdVein
I'm rubbish at pretty much everything non-academic. If I start getting low grades then I have nothing.

Same here, I'm absolutely rubbish at everything else, except video games of course :smile:
Reply 62
Why would you aim to be crap at something?
:lolwut: because I don't want to end up begging some bloke in an ill-fitting M&S suit to fast-track me for management at Tesco; I'd rather have a real job.
Reply 64
Because 'studies' are the only thing I've ever been good at. I can pass exams, write essays, learn facts, and succeed. I can't play sports or anything - it's the same as someone who is good at football trying to become a professional footballer - it's where my talents lie, and I find my studies interesting.
I want to be rich :smile: and successful :smile:
Reply 66
I aim high but achieve low. I'm only passing with Cs and Ds so far. No idea what is going on there. It's only first semester and we haven't been given our overall grades yet but honestly, I have been trying and haven't been getting anywhere near as high as I'd like.
Original post by blue acre
My dad's Asian and recently I had to have a blood test.

Turns out my blood type is B positive, my dad told me come back when I got an A.

haha:smile:
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
So they can buy Lamborghinings and Aston Martinings.

At least spell it right....
cuz I wanna be a billionaire initt:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRor905cCw
Original post by lilzoldier
At least spell it right....

I added a bit of fonejacker to the words, calm down spelling police.
Reply 71
Original post by BrunetteChick
cuz I wanna be a billionaire initt:wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRor905cCw

lol :biggrin:
Reply 72
Because I hate looking back and feeling like I've let myself down, or thinking I could have done better.
1. I really like my subject
2. I don't like not getting As/ high marks
3. I got used to working hard for the sake of it at school, and now I can't break the habit
4. I'm competitive
5. It makes uni a waste of time and money if I don't do any work
6. I need something to do in between periods of procrastination
7. I'd like a good job at some point
Original post by Student23
lol :biggrin:

I know right?! lol... Yeah I would have a show like Oprah, I would be the host of, everyday Christmas, give Travie a wish list lalalaaa
Reply 75
because it makes sense to be the best you can. Whats the point in sitting around moaning or complaining about life when you could be doing something to change it?
Aim high; even if you dont quite reach what you aimed for, you'll still have done well :biggrin:
Because I feel very lucky to do my course.
I guess it's because I have high ambitions. I've never had much money, my parents have never had good jobs, I've never had any once in a lifetime experiences, I've never been to another country (other than one school trip to France), I've never eaten at a fancy restaurant... I've just never been particularly fortunate in life. I guess the reason I aim high is because I want to experience everything I never had the chance to. I desperately want to travel the world, I want to see it through my eyes not merely on a screen. I want a nice house, I want a respectable amount of money, I want to shop at Waitrose... I just don't want to turn out like my parents, unemployed, miserable and poor.
Reply 79
First off, I would quote Soha Ali Khan,

"It's all about options. If you have education, you have options."

If you hold a degree, you can choose whether you want to stand at a till at Tesco's or work in investment banking. If you don't, you have narrowed options.

Secondly, I need a good degree for what I want to do (either research, journalism, or translations). If I have a bad degree, I will still be able to do that, theoretically, but it is not guaranteed I will possess sufficient knowledge to be successful.

Finally, I love learning and studying, hence why I care for ensuring I know a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending