The Student Room Group

My new girlfriend's dad thinks I'm a dick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
I said dick because that's what he told his daughter I am.

Are you 'butch'

Butch lesbians are not hawt, ergo he was disgusted. :puke:
(edited 13 years ago)
Niiiiiiiiiiice.
Original post by veux
Does it really matter. Maybe he doesn't like the fact that you weigh 22 stone.

Considering he's easily twice the size of me, I don't think he's got much room to judge.

Btw it's 20 not 22
Reply 63
Considering he's easily twice the size of me, I don't think he's got much room to judge.

Btw it's 20 not 22

lol sorry misremembered.
Reply 64
Because he told her so, and an argument began over it, which lead to her coming to my house in a very foul mood :p:

Uncomfortable with homosexuality? I'd say that's probably the likely culprit, assuming you haven't done anything to justify this 'dick' label (or was he trying to be a bit funny by calling you that since you two are lesbians? :confused: i dunno)
Have sex with him(I know itle be hard...but it's for a good cause), or at least get naked and climb into bed with him, take pictures of it all and then blackmail him.

If he doesnt act pleasent towards you at all times, you drop the dirt.

Edit: Awhh why the neg, she said she wanted funny replys?
(edited 13 years ago)
Maybe he's a non-liberal parent who's against lesbianism?

Are you could just be the butch one in the relationship and his daughter is the attractive one - he might just think she could've done better.
Reply 67
Parents are always difficult. It can be just a small thing that annoys them. Maybe you didn't do something that they considered good manners (thanking them or something similar), your opinions (my mum hated my ex because he didn't go to army and other similar things) or they may see you as too positive and naive. Can't understand parents, that's why I never bring any guys near to our house. My mum gets angry, shouts at me, complains how idiots they are and when they are just together in a same room she says something "you shouldn't see each other"... And she never acted like this with my older sister's boyfriends. Now when I have dated some guys they get mad/annoyed when I don't let them meet my family or see our house. They always think im embarrassed or playing with them even though I explain the situation to them.
Reply 68
Why is everybody alluding this to sexuality? Gay or not, parents will always dislike their kids' lovers. Not only because of the boning, but because they think their kids deserve better.
They'd think that even if Jesus showed up on the doorstep.
As the title says really.

I met the parents of my new girlfriend the other night, I was perfectly polite, chatty, ate the dinner they gave me, helped them out with bringing their Christmas presents downstairs, took their daughter out and made sure she was back (in a car) well in advance of the time they specified for her to be home.

Still though, he thinks I'm a dick.

What can I do? I thought that I could be persistent and show him that I'm not a dick and I have no intention of hurting his daughter, but that sounds boring. Anyone got any more interesting suggestions on how to deal with this? The funnier the better.. I just need some cheering up I think, come on TSR! :biggrin:

U is gay and girl? :happy2:
Although this is perfectly acceptable and not uncommon. Your girlfriends dad is probably not so keen on lesbianism or any other form of homosexuality. An example would be my grandmother telling my mother if she were to turn out lesbian (she isnt) she would be disowned. My parents said if I were to be gay (which im not) I would not be family. Homosexuality although widely accepted is not totally accepted. I hope all works out between you and your girlfriend. I have heard of. A guy being *******ed by a suspicous father but not a girl. Its sad that there is so much ignorance on this earth.

But:

It could be if you are a butch lesbian. Not many people would like it if thier daughter was a quiet delicate flower like girl with a full on heavy handed butchish girl. I dont have a personal problem with it but the father may.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ponpon14
Hmmm - how does he feel about his daughter bein ggay? maybe he hasnt come to terms with it yet?

is pretty much what i was thinking of
Reply 72

You can't be surprised exactly.. she's your new girlfriend. Girlfriends' dads almost always assume the boyfriend/girlfriend is an ass. You have to work on it, and prove you're not.
Reply 73

I met the parents of my new girlfriend the other night, I was perfectly polite, chatty, ate the dinner they gave me, helped them out with bringing their Christmas presents downstairs, took their daughter out and made sure she was back (in a car) well in advance of the time they specified for her to be home.

Still though, he thinks I'm a dick.

What can I do? I thought that I could be persistent and show him that I'm not a dick and I have no intention of hurting his daughter, but that sounds boring. Anyone got any more interesting suggestions on how to deal with this? The funnier the better.. I just need some cheering up I think, come on TSR! :biggrin:

Dad’s have a 6th sense of when someone is trying to get into their daughters knickers. As a result they think they are all dicks until such time as they realize the deed has occurred, and that may take awhile. He will eventually come around though.
OP has said her partner has had previous girlfriends without this problem occurring so his homophobia doesn't seem that likely...

When you go around to her house next time you could ask him candidly in private? He's a bit of a coward if he can't criticise you directly, so say you felt quite a bit of tension and what to know if he has any problems with you.
Surely you'd be vagina, not a dick?

Unless you use a strap on, maybe...?
Well you said that she has had other girlfriends so I assume it's not that despite everyone making it about that.

How was he to your face ? It seems odd that he would wait until you leave to say it.

I had problems with my current gfs father but tbh I didn't give a ****. I put it in my mind the first day I went there, I'm not too old or too young, I've never hurt there daughter in anyway, we're clearly in love, I come from a good enough family that are well of and I plan on getting a good job (not that any of these matter to me) So I just thought that they can have no logical reason not to like me. If they don't have a good reason to dislike you, something like ''she's a dick'' they will just push there daughter away and they should know it.

I was in a similar situation, the first time I met my gf's dad he was kind of bantering with me but he wasn't. I'm sure you all know what I mean. Like when someones pretending to mess around but you can tell they are serious. I just gave it back to him. Everything he said to me I said it back. My gf's mum and sister already liked me a lot so he was just making a fool of himself. When his wife asked for help in the kitchen I knew he'd shut up.

Anyway I honestly never once tried to impress him. After this exchange of ''banter'' in which I indirectly called him a moron :smile: my gf arranged for us to play golf. She told me to let him win. I still kicked his arse all the way down the back 9.

My advice to you is simple, Don't bend over. Do not take any **** he gives you or in anyway try and make it better. You have nothing to make up for. His problem with you is illogical and eventuall he'll realise you're ok (assuming you are)

My gf's dad got me a very nice xmas present this year, So I'm assuming we're kosher now. Despite the fact all I got him was a golf set with a golf ball that had ''2nd'' printed on it :P
Reply 77
Maybe your breath smelt of fish
Reply 78
I think you misunderstood him, obviously, he doesn't think you are a dick because you are a woman. I think the right title would be, "My new girlfriend's dad thinks I'm a *unt".
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
Well you said that she has had other girlfriends so I assume it's not that despite everyone making it about that.

How was he to your face ? It seems odd that he would wait until you leave to say it.

I had problems with my current gfs father but tbh I didn't give a ****. I put it in my mind the first day I went there, I'm not too old or too young, I've never hurt there daughter in anyway, we're clearly in love, I come from a good enough family that are well of and I plan on getting a good job (not that any of these matter to me) So I just thought that they can have no logical reason not to like me. If they don't have a good reason to dislike you, something like ''she's a dick'' they will just push there daughter away and they should know it.

I was in a similar situation, the first time I met my gf's dad he was kind of bantering with me but he wasn't. I'm sure you all know what I mean. Like when someones pretending to mess around but you can tell they are serious. I just gave it back to him. Everything he said to me I said it back. My gf's mum and sister already liked me a lot so he was just making a fool of himself. When his wife asked for help in the kitchen I knew he'd shut up.

Anyway I honestly never once tried to impress him. After this exchange of ''banter'' in which I indirectly called him a moron :smile: my gf arranged for us to play golf. She told me to let him win. I still kicked his arse all the way down the back 9.

My advice to you is simple, Don't bend over. Do not take any **** he gives you or in anyway try and make it better. You have nothing to make up for. His problem with you is illogical and eventuall he'll realise you're ok (assuming you are)

My gf's dad got me a very nice xmas present this year, So I'm assuming we're kosher now. Despite the fact all I got him was a golf set with a golf ball that had ''2nd'' printed on it :P

He was actually very nice to my face, which is why I was a bit confused about him calling me a dick to his girlfriend.

Anyway, I spoke to my lady more last night, and it turns out that it was a bit of a homophobia rage, he called me a dyke and apparently said some pretty nasty stuff about my weight (which is quite funny seeing as he's twice the size of me). Turns out he thought her last boyfriend had "cured" her of all this "halfway house *******s" :rolleyes:

I'll continue to be nice and if he's really got an issue, I've told my girlfriend that he's welcome to air it with me, he'll swiftly be told to STFU. I've got plenty respect for people's parents but for all the things he's said about me regarding my sexual orientation before even getting to know me, I have no reason to have an ounce of respect for this guy.

Thanks to everyone who gave a serious reply, and I'm glad some of you got to **** over correcting me/him for his choice of insult :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending