The Student Room Group

Why go shopping on Boxing Day?

After seeing the headlines on the news today, which mainly consisted of pictures of slightly insane looking women grabbing at handbags, I suddenly thought, why on earth do people go shopping on Boxing Day? There's crowds that are even worse than the days leading up to Christmas, which are bad enough. Surely it's just a horrible and stressful experience? Or is it not as bad as the news makes it out to be? Particularly after hearing about the tragic happenings in Birmingham today, I can't help wondering why people bother going shopping on Boxing Day - the sales are still there a week or two later, when it's a lot less busy, you're a lot less full from the overindulgences of Christmas and are probably less likely to make stupid impulse purchases? Maybe it's because I always spend Boxing Day either on a hike or at home with the family but I really struggle to understand this. Yet it seems to be a bit of an obsession with a lot of people. Anyone feel the same, or am I just talking rubbish?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
After a lovely leftover meal we went as a family lol...it wasn't too bad..

Edit: LOL, my family activities offend you :eyebrow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I have no idea, but we spent a hell of a lot of money yesterday:http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/26/boxing-day-sales-retail
(First link I could find)
I guess it's because the VAT is going up next year and people want to get all the bargains before they go. It's abit sad, really.
because primark has a 50% sale going on which = free clothes :drool:
BARGAINS!

I haven't been personally.. but that's why.
Women.
Reply 6
As its when the sales start , people want to get there first so theres lots of choice before shops sell out.
So yeah i see why they want to go as soon as possible but i usually go between boxing day and new year and find there still lots to choose from.
Reply 7
I feel the same as you, I don't see the point (but then I have worked in a clothes shop at sales time which has put me off). I don't think you usually get what you really want in the sales and it's just too manic.
Reply 8
I suppose the VAT rise probably does add to the must-go-as-soon-as-possible panic. I suppose it probably depends on the sort of shops you go to - I can see that the designer type places would sell out, but when it's normal shops, I really can't see places like New Look selling out.

I suppose I'm just a very atypical girl, in that I'd much rather play Trivial Pursuit than go shopping!
I saw the news as well.

Any one else notice every single one of the shoppers was Asian?
Reply 10
Me and my Mum were bored, wanted to get out of the house. We went to the shopping centre which was mostly closed, but there were shops open. It was quieter than a normal weekday and I got a pair of shorts and a skirt for reaaally cheap in the sale :p:
Original post by d123
After seeing the headlines on the news today, which mainly consisted of pictures of slightly insane looking women grabbing at handbags, I suddenly thought, why on earth do people go shopping on Boxing Day? There's crowds that are even worse than the days leading up to Christmas, which are bad enough. Surely it's just a horrible and stressful experience? Or is it not as bad as the news makes it out to be? Particularly after hearing about the tragic happenings in Birmingham today, I can't help wondering why people bother going shopping on Boxing Day - the sales are still there a week or two later, when it's a lot less busy, you're a lot less full from the overindulgences of Christmas and are probably less likely to make stupid impulse purchases? Maybe it's because I always spend Boxing Day either on a hike or at home with the family but I really struggle to understand this. Yet it seems to be a bit of an obsession with a lot of people. Anyone feel the same, or am I just talking rubbish?

I agree with this, I cannot understand why people would go shopping on Boxing day when really it is still Christmas. Granted I was in Birmingham today but that's for the football. I would never queue up like hours before shops open, I have better things to do like spending time with family and friends, not battling insane crowds around shops. Most of the sale stuff is the crap they couldn't sell over the course of the year anyway.
Because you miss out on amazing deals if you wait a few days, obviously!

Although you can hedge your bets and go shopping about a week later when they've brought prices down another 25%, but depends if there's stock left.

Also this year apparently the new VAT comes in so don't leave it till later than 5th January or you'll be more expensive.
Reply 13
Original post by d123

It's bloody annoying when people keep banging into you, but you can find some seriously amazing deals on boxing day..and a couple of weeks later, there are only larger clothes sizes left. Depends whether you're a "clothes person" or not. Some people aren't bothered, which is cool but I love finding amazing clothes really cheap.
Reply 14
Original post by flowermaster91
because primark has a 50% sale going on which = free clothes :drool:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Oh I am on that **** tomorrow!!!
Original post by sango
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Oh I am on that **** tomorrow!!!

im only kidding bro :colondollar:

but imagine that, buying socks for 25p :drool:
Original post by ritchie888
Any one else notice every single one of the shoppers was Asian?

I saw that too :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by flowermaster91
im only kidding bro :colondollar:

but imagine that, buying socks for 25p :drool:

Oh, there you were getting me all excited. :colonhash: Still I shall go there tomorrow, there are bound to be some offers.
Reply 18
Original post by Danielle89
Because you miss out on amazing deals if you wait a few days, obviously!

Although you can hedge your bets and go shopping about a week later when they've brought prices down another 25%, but depends if there's stock left.

Also this year apparently the new VAT comes in so don't leave it till later than 5th January or you'll be more expensive.

the sale's still on for weeks afterwards though, and I've never noticed a lack of stock in the days after boxing day. Even if there was less stuff, I'd happily forego getting a few items if it means avoiding the crowds!
I don't think I could ever go shopping on Boxing Day. It's a day for family time. To get out of the house today we all went for a long walk in a country park and then spent the evening having dinner with family (except for my brother who had to go work in a shop :frown:)

Quick Reply

Latest