The Student Room Group

Can the location name give a university a bad name?

Like Essex, Hull, Glasgow, etc.

If a University is the University of x, if x is perceived negatively in the public eye (due to crime, being run down, full of WAGs and so on) can this seek to damage the university's reputation? Mainly in the public eye, rather than the academic community - who probably don't care about something so trivial.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I imagine it would. Nottingham has the nickname Shottingham, for example.

On a related note, the location (even if it's not in the name) can really put people off. Apparently the Guildhall School of Music and Drama have had to start planting trees because many instrumentalists (myself included) won't apply there coz it's fugly :rofl:
Original post by Margaret Thatcher

Like Essex, Glasgow, etc.

If a University is the University of x, if x is perceived negatively in the public eye (due to crime, being run down, full of WAGs and so on) can this seek to damage the university's reputation? Mainly in the public eye, rather than the academic community - who probably don't care about something so trivial.

Not necessarily, it's more to do with its reputation if anything, for example the London Met. :rolleyes:

That said, some of our best universities are in beautiful places in Britain. :yep:
Reply 3
I knew you'd mention Glasgow. You've clearly never been there if you think it's a horrible city. It's beautiful and vibrant, with amazing architecture and so much going on. I know I'm probably biased, but it's not just me who loves it. Everyone I know who has been there agrees, from people my age to retired people I know. It's only the people who haven't who remain sadly ignorant of its delights! Like all cities it has its bad areas, but the city centre and the west end are lovely.
Reply 4
Original post by d123
I knew you'd mention Glasgow. You've clearly never been there if you think it's a horrible city. It's beautiful and vibrant, with amazing architecture and so much going on. I know I'm probably biased, but it's not just me who loves it. Everyone I know who has been there agrees, from people my age to retired people I know. It's only the people who haven't who remain sadly ignorant of its delights! Like all cities it has its bad areas, but the city centre and the west end are lovely.

"Some people I know" is a well known way of forming a valid statistical sample. Congratulations on the rigour of your post.

Alternatively, you can be like Warwick and use a picture of the castle on your prospectus.
Reply 6
Original post by Bobifier
"Some people I know" is a well known way of forming a valid statistical sample. Congratulations on the rigour of your post.

Well, I don't have a survey to hand. I hardly think it's a problem using it as an example of how the OP was wrong. Glasgow may have a bad reputation, but that's almost entirely among people who haven't visited it. It's constantly in lists of great cities in Europe, the university is fantastic by all accounts - just go to the recent thread where people were asked to recommend their university - a surprisingly large number of replies are from Glasgow students.

I know using the 'people I know' argument doesn't always work, but I was only using these people as an example. I'm not saying it's a steadfast rule that everyone who goes to Glasgow loves it, but just that generally, people who haven't been judge it on ridiculous and outdated stereotypes, whereas people who have been see it for what it is, an amazing and beautiful city.
Reply 7
Hull University. Even if it was the equivalent of Oxbridge I still wouldn't have applied.

/thread
Reply 8
Imagine if there were a Bognor Regis University.
Original post by TheSownRose
Alternatively, you can be like Warwick and use a picture of the castle on your prospectus.

Would they do that, Warwick Uni isn't even in Warwick
Reply 10
Yes, without a doubt - and its quite unfair.
Original post by dnumberwang
Would they do that, Warwick Uni isn't even in Warwick

Exactly.

Apparently they did in my friend's year (year above me), because she nearly applied on the basis that it was an old uni... :rofl:
Reply 12
York University. We all know that York is a very interesting, quirky place with Ye Olde Worlde Charme for much of the city centre. That's fine, until you discover that the university is a 1960s monoblock nightmare out in a suburb.

Heriot Watt University Edinburgh? It's outside the city limits and next to the motorway - saying it's "in Edinburgh" is a real stretch tbh. Oh, that and the main road leading to it takes you through Scumville and Mogadishu.
(edited 13 years ago)
In some cases I think so. A lot of people seem to think Aston Uni is actually in Aston which doesn't help.

What's wrong with glasgow like?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Like the town of Crapsville gives Crapsville Uni a bad name?
Reply 16
Yes, Hull, good Uni, EURGHGHHH City
Reply 17
Original post by Attlee_party
What's wrong with glasgow like?

Nothing :smile:

Well, there are some parts I'd probably avoid at night, but you get that in every single city. The area around the uni is beautiful and the city centre is one of the nicest I've seen, far nicer than Birmingham or London.
Reply 18
Original post by Cunn
Hull University. Even if it was the equivalent of Oxbridge I still wouldn't have applied.

/thread

ahem.
Reply 19
But back on topic, and moving away from my rant about people saying Glasgow is a 'bad location', I'd agree that the location is very important. I don't think it should make a difference to reputation of the uni so much, but in terms of choosing where to study, location was the most important factor for me. I wanted somewhere that I would be happy living for three or four years rather than somewhere that was a decent uni but where I disliked the place. It's the main reason I didn't apply to any London unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending