The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Bobifier
People seem to be saying that Warwick is overrated academically because it is in the middle of nowhere, and overrated generally because it is relatively new. I would like to take this opportunity to point out that neither of these reasons make any sense at all.

I'll take this as an opportunity to summarise my first post in a more succint way.

I don't think Warwick is "overrated" as such. I actually abhor the overuse of overrated and underrated...but I digress.

More that it, and the other top ten universities, are creamed over too much at the detriment of the many other fine universities in this country.

There was a certain amount of snoberry towards Warwick and many of the other glass plate universities in the first twenty years or so after they were formed. I feel that the introduction of league tables came at the right time for Warwick and it quickly became a popular and favoured university amongst sixth formers and the New Labour government (and business).

It, as well as other universities including Durham, are excelllent. But no better than a Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow or Birmingham.
On this forum it's not so much overrated universities, its TSR users who overrate themselves, because they are at a particular university.
Original post by flowermaster91

if we could get banned for being ugly doesnt that mean you shouldve recieved a perm ban already :dunce: butters fool :hand:

do they even have food in your country?

Who's the bitch who thumbed up her post :fuhrer:

You're the worst looking guy around :hand:

We have enough food that we don't have to start eating bugs :fyi:

Grasshoppers and turkey anyone??

Did I go too far :pierre:
Warwick, absolutely. Then again, what to expect from a horde of readers of The Guardian.
Original post by electriic_ink
Bah. Everyone on TSR would proudly wear this shirt:

:h:

I wouldn't.
Original post by domino0806

Warwick, absolutely. Then again, what to expect from a horde of readers of The Guardian.

What do you mean by that statement? Left-wingers highly prize Warwick? Well, for what reasons?
Original post by Miu-Miu
I know.

Oxbridge = Waitrose

Warwick = Tesco's Finest

TSR you pushed me to this :frown:

If Oxbridge is Waitrose...Then who's M&S?

Also what about Sainsburys Taste The Difference? Arguably comparable in quality with Tesco Finest, so do we mean the likes of Bristol or Durham or a bit lower down?
Reply 67
Original post by House of Jonny
Warwick
Oxbridge
LSE

Some users have a high and mighty attitude of snobbery against "Ex-Poly's" not all but some.

A uni is a uni.

:laugh:

I do love it when any student, especially one who isn't at Oxford or Cambridge (or any other ancient university) gets snotty about ex-polys. It's even more funny if it's a student from a plate glass university (for obvious reasons that I don't think need to be spelt out).

Original post by MagicNMedicine
On this forum it's not so much overrated universities, its TSR users who overrate themselves, because they are at a particular university.

True dat.
Original post by Bobifier
People seem to be saying that Warwick is overrated academically because it is in the middle of nowhere, and overrated generally because it is relatively new. I would like to take this opportunity to point out that neither of these reasons make any sense at all.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on this thread who's said Warwick is in the middle of nowhere, and I said in the same post that I don't think it's overrated.
anglia ruskin...
Original post by im so academic
I wouldn't.

Luckily, Warwick wouldn't want you as an undergraduate :h:
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Thoughts?

I hate Margaret Thatcher.. that's right, I hate her.
Original post by yoyo462001
Who's the bitch who thumbed up her post :fuhrer:

You're the worst looking guy around :hand:

We have enough food that we don't have to start eating bugs :fyi:

Grasshoppers and turkey anyone??

Did I go too far :pierre:

LOL! shame :mfing:

i think you are :hand:

LOOOL! yet you dont have enough houses, carry on living in your shanty towns
Original post by im so academic
What do you mean by that statement? Left-wingers highly prize Warwick? Well, for what reasons?

It's New Labour's little pet university.

Original post by 0011
I propose we nominate Maggie for HBOTSR (Head Bitch of TSR)

I second that notion
Original post by yellowwdaisy
cambridge- for many subjects
since studying there I feel more and more strongly that oxbridge seriously needs to get with the times
and get over itself

a lot of the courses at other top unis are in all likelihood just as good and their graduates should get just as much credit for their degrees.

I know this is a bit off topic, but having applied to cambridge and still being unconvinced of its course & teaching prowess/whether i'll be happy there (this being the main one) was just wondering if you could elaborate? I'm just really tied between cambridge and a couple of the other good 1994 unis where i think i'd enjoy myself and the course more despite oxbridge saying they are increasingly less traditional and more state school friendly.

If its a bit tooo off-topic for this thread i'd really appreciate it if you pm'd me about what you think, the "get voer itself" bits especially. :smile:
Thanks!

LOL! shame :mfing:

i think you are :hand:

LOOOL! yet you dont have enough houses, carry on living in your shanty towns

Once again your face is a shanty town, I wonder why your other half hasn't seen this yet!
Original post by cybergrad
The ex polytechnics, they became "universities" overnight.

I love this anti polytech mentality...
(which has not existed within the life time of pretty much since 90% of TSR users).

Its funny though, cause some of the UK (and other countries, take Oleg Antonov as an e.g.) most successful designer, engineers and architects went to polytechnics.

Overrated?
With all the morons like you on tsr, they have a bad reputation. How the **** can they possibly be 'overrated on this forum'
I doubt you'll be graduating from any university at all, you couldn't even read the thread title.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by electriic_ink
Luckily, Warwick wouldn't want you as an undergraduate :h:

That's fine by me! :p:

It's New Labour's little pet university.

:eek: I never knew that. Thanks for the heads up!
Reply 79
Original post by TheSownRose
Manchester and Warwick.

Oh, and Exeter and Newcastle.

Manchester?

If anything I thought it was being unfairly looked down on TBH due to it's league table position... to read TSR you'd think Nottingham for instance was miles and away superior to Manchester or Liverpool when really they're part of a tight bunch.

Yeah there's a lot of people on TSR overrating themselves on account of where they got in. That and haughtilly extrapolating incorrectly about the difficulty of obtaining a degree from a 92 university based on the UCAS offer and that they're actually having to work to keep their own grades up imo.

Latest