The Student Room Group

Parents telling their child they were an accident

Poll

Is it ever acceptable for a parent to tell their child their birth was unintentional?

Is it ever acceptable for a parent to tell their child that they were accidentally conceived and that their birth was entirely unintentional?

(Random question... ^_^)
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why on earth not? It's not the same thing as saying that they were a mistake or that they regret it at all.
Meh. My parents have never told me that I was an accident but it is pretty obvious to me that I was (born 2 months after my parents were married). Hasn't really bothered me to be honest, even though my conception probably wasn't intentional why should it bother me if my parents have loved me since the day I was born?
Original post by Michi Kobayashi
Is it ever acceptable for a parent to tell their child that they were accidentally conceived and that their birth was entirely unintentional?

Just wanted to know what everyone thought about this...

Accident doesn't mean they were a mistake, or that they're unloved. My parents have never come out and told me, but comments they've made have made it fairly clear that they don't really like child so I find it hard to believe they would have planned to have a child, and they only ever had the one child. However, they've loved me and my childhood was good, they've said some of their best memories are with me ... so I wouldn't consider myself unwanted.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I've been told I was an accident. Sucks.
My mum reckons she got pregnant on her wedding day. I dont need her to tell me, its obvious. Most of these things are.
Reply 6
My little brother found out he was an accident. He doesn't care, no one cares. He's loved just as much as me and my other brother. Being an accident just means it wasn't planned, it doesn't mean the parents necessarily regret having the child or that they are in any way less important or special than the other children.
Reply 7
All of my mother's children were accidents.
And I was the only one who was conceived while my mum was married! :tongue:
as long as the child was loved as if it was planned then it shouldn't make the slightest difference :smile:
Of course it's acceptable. As this thread proves, it's often not difficult to work it out anyway. I'm assuming my mum didn't have me in her final year because a bump goes so well with a fancy cape thingy and mortarboard.
I was once eating at a friends house with him and his family and the conversation went like this:
(Friend spills my drink)
Me: What you playing at! (joking)
Friend: It was an accident
Me: You were an accident (joking)
His mum: Well you did come as a bit of a surprise...
Him: :erm:
Reply 11
Original post by SillyRodent
I was once eating at a friends house with him and his family and the conversation went like this:
(Friend spills my drink)
Me: What you playing at! (joking)
Friend: It was an accident
Me: You were an accident (joking)
His mum: Well you did come as a bit of a surprise...
Him: :erm:

That made me laugh, because if I remember correctly, that's fairly similar to how my brother discovered.

Apparently I knew before he was born though. When my mum told me she was pregnant, I said 'But Mummy, I thought you only wanted two children!' I have no recollection of this, until she mentioned it a few months ago, but apparently I said it. Ah, kids.
Reply 12
Yeah, no problem. Only makes me more thankful that the accident happened.... Don't see how it would offend me, personally.

And I think I was an accident.....
Reply 13
As long as the child is loved it doesn't matter right? Though I don't really see why most parents would tell there children outright. I don't really discuss my conception with my parents :|
Reply 14
My mum told me that she had a (failed) abortion whilst she was pregnant, and I'm not (that) emotionally traumatised.
If the kid asks then why not? Anyway, being an accident isn't SO bad they most probably wanted to keep you or they'd have aborted you. Either way I'm still here and they've paid for everything so if I WAS an unwanted accident I've already gotten my revenge.
My mum said to me that I was an accident and that they must have been really drunk or something. I asked her if she thought of having an abortion to which she said no she wanted kids just not for a few years. I wouldn't have even cared if she had said she really wanted an abortion and cried when she found out was pregnant but couldn't go through with it, I am so happy I am alive I couldn't care less.
Reply 17
Yes, it's fine. An unplanned child certainly isn't always an unwanted child.
Reply 18
I wouldn't care if my parents told me I was an accident (not that I've asked...) :erm:

However, my parents were married, I'm the first child (along with my twin :P), they were the right age (29/30) so I doubt it was an accident.

Edit: I thought about it more, and actually having twins (or more) is almost always an accident, since most people would plan to have just one baby at a time. I'm just going to assume my bro was the accidental one :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
my mum told us we were all 'accidents' but that doesnt mean we werent wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending