The Student Room Group

UCAS is closed until 4 January!!!WTF???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
uhh i got an offer from kingston on christmas eve....if all the universites are on holiday who sent me an offer? Santa :biggrin:?
Original post by Juno
It doesn't mean they're not working. It just means the helplines aren't open.

I work in retail and whilst the shop doesn't open til 10am on Sundays, someone will have been there since at least 7.30 doing things!

True... just seems a little bit odd that they're a student advisory panel and aren't around basically when students need them most (ie. coming up to deadlines).
To be fair though, students have has 3 months to sort this. I understand teachers can take bloody forever to add references etc but leaving it this late isn't a good idea.
Original post by Loz17
To be fair though, students have has 3 months to sort this. I understand teachers can take bloody forever to add references etc but leaving it this late isn't a good idea.

Mine didn't get sent off until the 9th of December because of a late reference.

All they needed to do was change one predicted grade, would have taken a minute of his time to e-mail my UCAS tutor and explain but he took forever :biggrin:

In the end my UCAS tutor was just like "What grade has he predicted you?" So I told her and it got done that way.

Late references are a paiiiiin.

Not that it matters though, right? Someone who sends theirs off at 23:59 on January 14th has the exact same chance of getting an offer as someone who applies on September 1st at 00:01, ja?

:confused:
Reply 24
Also I am pretty much sure that Ucas have done this before, and I believe that they can cope with it. If they couldn't, I am sure they could have done something about it.

Don't worry mate, as long as your application is SENT TO UCAS by 15th Jan, you'll get equal consideration by Unis.
Original post by SkyNinja
uhh i got an offer from kingston on christmas eve....if all the universites are on holiday who sent me an offer? Santa :biggrin:?

:iiam:
I've always wanted to use that emoticon lol
Reply 26
Original post by diamonddust
:iiam:
I've always wanted to use that emoticon lol

:ms: it was :mrssanta: :wink:
Original post by hothedgehog
To be fair, most workplaces go back after the bank holiday so why on earth are ucas closed til Jan 4th? I don't see why they shouldn't be working next week.

I think the third is a bank holiday in Scotland.
Original post by ilickbatteries
Mine didn't get sent off until the 9th of December because of a late reference.

All they needed to do was change one predicted grade, would have taken a minute of his time to e-mail my UCAS tutor and explain but he took forever :biggrin:

In the end my UCAS tutor was just like "What grade has he predicted you?" So I told her and it got done that way.

Late references are a paiiiiin.

Not that it matters though, right? Someone who sends theirs off at 23:59 on January 14th has the exact same chance of getting an offer as someone who applies on September 1st at 00:01, ja?

:confused:

In theory yes. This is what they say. But then what I don't get is that offers and interviews are given out very early, like early october, for those who are lucky enough to have their applications sent early. I know there are ways it can be fair but I don't think it is fair at all personally.

Glad yours is sorted. Dec isn;t a bad time to send it especially with late references. Looks like you were on the ball with it :h:
Reply 29
UCAS is only cloed till the 4th but the universities don't open till the 10th. If you're that worried, you should have sent it off earlier.
Original post by Loz17
In theory yes. This is what they say. But then what I don't get is that offers and interviews are given out very early, like early october, for those who are lucky enough to have their applications sent early. I know there are ways it can be fair but I don't think it is fair at all personally.

Glad yours is sorted. Dec isn;t a bad time to send it especially with late references. Looks like you were on the ball with it :h:

Yeah, I don't get that either.

Apparently its only done on courses with a high number of places, or to applicants whom they would definitely give an offer too.
It doesn't matter, you'll still have sent it off before the deadline, I sent mine on the 23rd December but it makes no difference, I may as well have sent it when UCAS opens again because it won't be sent anywhere until they do ._.
UCAS = quango

Quango -> incompetence at worst, inefficiency at best
Dude, yes. It happens every year.

and heads up, the UCAS deadline will be extened due to the snow! :eek: which will mean your replied will most likly be held back!!
-please don't make a thread about this news too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Just makes sure when you get back your teacher is on the ball with the reference! It's unfortunate that you are still going to wait ages for a response from any of your chosen universities depending on the course and it will take longer because a lot of people are sending their applications off yet plus the others they have to look at which were sent before the holidays. Just have patience and you'll be ok
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall

and heads up, the UCAS deadline will be extened due to the snow! :eek: which will mean your replied will most likly be held back!!

Source?
Reply 36
Original post by hardy_4_paws
Well all the unis are closed till January anyway... they need a holiday to! :smile:

they need a holiday to what?
Oh my god! They must, like, totally slave away while we slouch about like beached whales on our couches!
Reply 38

Sauce?

UCAS didn't say that until quite late on last year, I find it highly unbelievable that they have already said they will definitely be extending it.

Unless you can provide a credible source, that is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending