The Student Room Group

M1 Speed Check Cameras

I was travelling home from Northampton to Coventry down the M1, and got off at junction 21 i think it was, This was about an hour ago (Midnight)

The road was empty and i was sat in the middle lane doing about 100mph,
I didn't see the speed check camera's and i spotted one out the corner of my eye, not forgetting they are all in blackness.

The two cameras where faintly lit up red, does this mean I've been caught?
do they even work?
And do you get a ban for doing 100mph on a motorway ?

Thanks guys. :confused:

Scroll to see replies

yes
yes
yes
and lol
Reply 2
Lmao... I've heard you don't always get a ban...
It was only an hour ago i was there. It was pretty dead.

You sure I got caught?
Reply 3
Well youd get banned for doing 100 unless you've had your license for longer than 3 years, and speed cameras do tend to work in the dark believe it or not. Just cross your fingers for 14 days - if nothing arrives by then it is too late and they can do nothing, although im not sure why that is.
Reply 4
Well I've had my license for 2 years in march 2011.
Motorway was completely dead, and i was only doing about 95mph.
The camera's weren't lit up or anything i couldn't actually see them until I seen the two red ones lit up, My ass dropped as soon as I saw it though and I slowed right down.

I've been through the M6 ones nearly every day for the past 4 months, and broke the speed limit, but never got anything through about it.
Do the M1 average speed check ones even work ? I really really hope not.

I hope i don't get screwed :frown: I was only trying to get home. There weren't even any roadworks where i was !
All the cameras on the M1 use infra-red, they don't have a flash.(Or at least between J1 and J33, haven't been further north to tell.) If you are talking about the roadwork cameras at J19, you are screwed. If not, between what junctions was it?
Reply 6
Junction 21, the M6 one.

*edit*

Nope it's junction 19. ****.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
If the cameras are working and switched on then there's a good chance you've been caught. They have to send a NIP to the registered address for the keeper within 14 days (that might be working days in which case it could be nearer 3 weeks)

If there are signs indicating there are speed cameras then there's probably little you can do if you do get a NIP. If it goes to court and you are able to show that a ban would affect your ability to work then you might get away with points and fine. Although if you can manage without a car for a while you might be better off taking a ban & fine if it means lower points.

If you don't get a NIP (or anything else similar) then count your self lucky and be more careful in future.
Reply 8
It would mean i'd be out of work if i lost my car, I have to travel Coventry to Dunstable every day starting back in January, Would mean no more job for me.

I am only allowed 6 points for the first 2 years if im right? So 6 points and im screwed anyway. A fine wouldn't be bad, i can afford that, i'd rather have a fine than points any day.
But can't really go without a car =/ Means i'd be out of work, and would put myself out of a job for as far as i can see.

Quick question, what's a NIP ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Kenjico
The road was empty and i was sat in the middle lane doing about 100mph

If it was empty why were you in the middle lane?

do they even work?

M1 Specs cameras do work, yes. 100mph is deemed a dangerous speed so if you arn't banned for this speed you've gotten off very lightly

Original post by Kenjico
It would mean i'd be out of work if i lost my car, I have to travel Coventry to Dunstable every day starting back in January, Would mean no more job for me.

Should've thought about that at the time really.

The signs were there, but the cameras i didn't notice until it was too late.

Admitting you knew you were breaking the law, you might want to delete that asap :smile:

Quick question, what's a NIP ?

Notice of intended prosecution, means if you get it within 14days of the offense you're screwed.
Reply 10
Those cameras definitely work :smile:
The title made me think OP had a question on Mechanics regarding speed cams :biggrin:
Original post by Kenjico
Junction 21, the M6 one.

*edit*

Nope it's junction 19. ****.

In that case, you were doing double the speed limit, you are almost guaranteed to get 6 points at a minimum. You can go to court, and try and argue first offence / wasn't dangerous at night / need car for work / very sorry, and might get a larger fine and 5 points, but you will be lucky.
Reply 13
Original post by Iorek
Those cameras definitely work :smile:

Are you sure?
Reply 14
Original post by Kenjico
Are you sure?

Yes...... these days almost every camera you see will be working unless it is indicated that it isn't.
Original post by Kenjico
I was travelling home from Northampton to Coventry down the M1, and got off at junction 21 i think it was, This was about an hour ago (Midnight)

The road was empty and i was sat in the middle lane doing about 100mph,
I didn't see the speed check camera's and i spotted one out the corner of my eye, not forgetting they are all in blackness.

do they even work?

Hey mate im not going to have ago, or give the lecture

I come from northampton to coventry quite abit, i get on at junction 15 on the M1 then get off at J17. Where are these cameras? Ive never seen them before?
Reply 16
Crikey... If you're talking about the roadworks through the Catthorpe Interchange improvements, rmhumpries is correct; you were going nearly double the speed limit, which was a bit daft. If you do get an NIP through the post, unfortunately you've probably lost your licence. It'll be 6 points minimum and you could potentially be charged with dangerous driving at those speeds which carries a punishment of a little more than few points. :erm:
Reply 17
Original post by Stringer987
Hey mate im not going to have ago, or give the lecture

I come from northampton to coventry quite abit, i get on at junction 15 on the M1 then get off at J17. Where are these cameras? Ive never seen them before?

Junction 19 =/
I'm a bit worried right now lmao.
OP aren't there signs absolutely everywhere about the 50mph limit and the cameras?

There's a similiar stretch after junction 39 and there's signs everywhere.
Reply 19
Original post by TommyWannabe
OP aren't there signs absolutely everywhere about the 50mph limit and the cameras?

There's a similiar stretch after junction 39 and there's signs everywhere.

Honestly, i didn't really notice until after i clocked the camera.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending