The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Dental Applicants 2011

I've decided to make this thread because ive not heard anything from them and should anyone hear anythin or know anythin about when they reply etc please let us know CHEERS!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You beat me to it! What are your stats OB2? I'm hoping for it to be 1:1 too or so few that they just force us to go.
Reply 2
Fingers crossed for 1:1 ratio! However I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they only have like 20 places, so that must mean that they will give out around 40 offers MAX. If anyone knows how the interview process is like at Aberdeen please let us know.

Thanks
Reply 3
OB2
OP
haha yeah well its lookin good guys as theres only three of us on this forum, maybe on interview day they'll ask us if we knew anyone else thats intrested to fill up the rest of the spaces XD
Reply 4
hey guys
i just read your posts and thought i might be able to let you know some more about applying to aberdeen (i'm 1st year student at aberdeen)

some stats from last year. about 200 ppl applied, 50 got interviews, and somewhere between 25-30 ppl got offers (which are always for 2:1 at honours level)
theres 20 places available every year, although our year has 23 students for some reason!?

oh and I dident hear anything about interviews until february

any questions let me know!

merry christmas :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by abujasim
hey guys
i just read your posts and thought i might be able to let you know some more about applying to aberdeen (i'm 1st year student at aberdeen)

some stats from last year. about 200 ppl applied, 50 got interviews, and somewhere between 25-30 ppl got offers (which are always for 2:1 at honours level)
theres 20 places available every year, although our year has 23 students for some reason!?

oh and I dident hear anything about interviews until february

any questions let me know!

merry christmas :smile:

Hi Abu Jasim.

Thanks for letting us know the odds! How did you find the interview process? Is it Ethical question based or personal statement based? How many people are normally on the interview panel? Also do you know what the average UKCAT scores of people that did get interviews at Aberdeen last year?

Next, how are you finding Aberdeen in general so far, as in life wise and course wise? Also does Aberdeen have an AhbSoc?

lol those are all the questions I can think of at the moment.

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by onebleach3
Hi Abu Jasim.

Thanks for letting us know the odds! How did you find the interview process? Is it Ethical question based or personal statement based? How many people are normally on the interview panel? Also do you know what the average UKCAT scores of people that did get interviews at Aberdeen last year?

Next, how are you finding Aberdeen in general so far, as in life wise and course wise? Also does Aberdeen have an AhbSoc?

lol those are all the questions I can think of at the moment.

Thanks!

i got sent an email for the interview, and i think i got a letter later on as well.
the interview is different most other interviews. you have 7 stations. each station has an interviewer who will focus on different aspects of your application. so you might get a stations focusing on your teamworking abilities, why you wanna do dentistry, communication skills, ethical scenarios, and you also have a station which tests you manual dexterity. you stay at each station for 7 minutes.

not really sure about the ukcat scores, but i got 635 for my ukcat.

the course is hard work, since its been condensed into 4 years. you get an awful lot of lectures especially in the 1st year apparently, then in later years you start doing more clinical work. the thing which is good in aberdeen is you get to work with real patients in the 3rd semester of 1st year which is great cos you get loads of clinical exposure. some dental schools in uk dont start doing that until 3rd year.

its an ok place to live in, depends what your used to before you and live here. its cold up here, but its cold everywhere these days!!! the small class sizes are pretty cool cos you get to know everyone in your year pretty well and people in the other years too. were one big family up here!!!!

not sure what AhbSoc is. is it some kind of society??? we have a dental society and a medical society if that helps?

one last thing you might want to know. every year, all the new dental students in aberdeen gets a laptop for free, its supposed to help us with our studies :biggrin:
Reply 7
Interview for Aberdeen on the 2nd of Feb. Anybody else got one??
Reply 8
i got sent an email for the interview, and i think i got a letter later on as well.
the interview is different most other interviews. you have 7 stations. each station has an interviewer who will focus on different aspects of your application. so you might get a stations focusing on your teamworking abilities, why you wanna do dentistry, communication skills, ethical scenarios, and you also have a station which tests you manual dexterity. you stay at each station for 7 minutes.

not really sure about the ukcat scores, but i got 635 for my ukcat.

the course is hard work, since its been condensed into 4 years. you get an awful lot of lectures especially in the 1st year apparently, then in later years you start doing more clinical work. the thing which is good in aberdeen is you get to work with real patients in the 3rd semester of 1st year which is great cos you get loads of clinical exposure. some dental schools in uk dont start doing that until 3rd year.

its an ok place to live in, depends what your used to before you and live here. its cold up here, but its cold everywhere these days!!! the small class sizes are pretty cool cos you get to know everyone in your year pretty well and people in the other years too. were one big family up here!!!!

not sure what AhbSoc is. is it some kind of society??? we have a dental society and a medical society if that helps?

one last thing you might want to know. every year, all the new dental students in aberdeen gets a laptop for free, its supposed to help us with our studies :biggrin:

Hi Abu Jasim,

How do they test your manual dexterity?? Also what's the easiest way of getting to Aberdeen.

Thanks!
Reply 9
OB2
OP
Interview for Aberdeen on the 2nd of Feb. Anybody else got one??

Yes congragulations man! me too 2nd of feb 1:45pm praise the lord! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by OB2
Yes congragulations man! me too 2nd of feb 1:45pm praise the lord! :biggrin:

My ones at 1 pm lool. Where are you going from? London?
Reply 11
Well done guys. Im starting to worry a bit, still no news!! Did you guys get an email first? Maybe my postman is on holiday haha :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
OB2
OP
My ones at 1 pm lool. Where are you going from? London?

Manchester me, it takes 6 hours on train, not 2 gud lol how about u?
Reply 13
OB2
OP
Original post by gzgzgz
Well done guys. Im starting to worry a bit, still no news!! Did you guys get an email first? Maybe my postman is on holiday haha :P

Maybe your ISP (Internet service proveider) is on holiday coz we got ours via email :smile: dont worry tho still early days
Reply 14
Hi Abu Jasim,

How do they test your manual dexterity?? Also what's the easiest way of getting to Aberdeen.

Thanks!

depends where your coming from

if your travelling from as far south as london and your interview is at 1pm then you might need to fly here unless you get the train the day before and stay the night in aberdeen?

but if you could get the train on the same day then that would be the easiest way imo

oh and abujasim is just my username, my name is mohammed :smile:
Reply 15
also got an interview wooooooooooo :biggrin:
Reply 16
this is part of an email i got today from aberdeen dental admissions office

Dear all
We are looking for 1 or 2 volunteers to show potential dental students round the school on the following dates. On each occassion it would involve meeting around 8 students at 2pm to give them a 30 minutes tour then meeting the next group at 3pm for the same.

2nd February

23rd February

2nd March

9th March
Reply 17

Dear all
We are looking for 1 or 2 volunteers to show potential dental students round the school on the following dates. On each occassion it would involve meeting around 8 students at 2pm to give them a 30 minutes tour then meeting the next group at 3pm for the same.

2nd February

23rd February

2nd March

9th March

Am I right in thinking there's only going to be 64 applicants this year then? Which is good news for everyone I think. Also Mohammed, sign up for the 2nd if you can :biggrin:.
Reply 18
Am I right in thinking there's only going to be 64 applicants this year then? Which is good news for everyone I think. Also Mohammed, sign up for the 2nd if you can :biggrin:.

yeh around 64 applicants with interviews, probably a bit less. we had about 50 last year

i'd love to do the tour but they'll probably get one of the 2nd or 3rd years to do it cos theres still a lot of places around the dental school which we (the 1st years) are not too familiar with (since we havent started treating patients yet, but will do in a few months hopefully) so my tour would be a bit crap tbh :tongue:
Reply 19
Hey

I'm still waiting to hear from Aberdeen and Kings :angry:.
Abu Jasim what is the timetable like for first yr dental students. Is it all day everyday and how often do u have phantom head sessions.

Dear all

2nd February

23rd February

2nd March

9th March

Quick Reply

Latest