The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

English Literature

Anyone studied English Literature? Was wondering how you found the course :smile:
The most boring thing I've ever done. And we have to base all essays around a pointless mark scheme. I think I'm doing OCR, others might be different.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
damned... that's encouraging. lol
Some people enjoy it, you have to actually like reading old texts like Shakespeare to enjoy it.
Are you talking about a level or open uni?
Reply 5
Original post by LizardCalledRoswel
The most boring thing I've ever done. And we have to base all essays around a pointless mark scheme. I think I'm doing OCR, others might be different.

OCR stops at A-level as far as I know. Nothing to do with studying at uni :wink:
Reply 6
I've done an English Lang/Lit A-level already...

I'm interested in the Open University course... mainly for more modern and creative writing as opposed to the older scripts - although I don't have a problem studying them - I obviously already have as part of my A-level.

The Open University course seems to have quite a lot of choice in regards to more modern and creative work :smile:
Creative work sounds better. I know someone who did a writing fiction OU unit and they said it was too easy and they didn't learn anything. In fact everyone I know who has done any OU unit/course has said that it was a bit ridiculous and/or easy. However, that being the case it sounds like an easy qualification.
Reply 8
Original post by MuayThai
I've done an English Lang/Lit A-level already...

I'm interested in the Open University course... mainly for more modern and creative writing as opposed to the older scripts - although I don't have a problem studying them - I obviously already have as part of my A-level.

The Open University course seems to have quite a lot of choice in regards to more modern and creative work :smile:

It might be an idea to have a look to see which modules interest you. Once you've got some that sound interesting, ask about those here specifically. As you say, there's loads of choice there, and it's often much easier to comment on a course code than a whole department :smile:

There are definitely people doing those courses on this forum though.
Reply 9
It also depends how confident you feel about your studies. If you feel you'll benefit from Level 1 study then it might well seem like a slog at first. However some of the Level 2/3 modules on English Literature are very well put together.

Quick Reply

Latest