The Student Room Group

What do you wear to a interview?

I have a interview coming up ... what shall i wear? Formal or casual clothing? Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

1) Skirt
2) No panties
3) ????
4) Profit
Surely you need to tell us what it's an interview for?
i'd wear something you see young school teachers wear if i were a girl..

sorry i have no idea.. hopefully a few females will answer haha
Reply 4
Depends on what your interview is for.
If it's for soemthing like school teaching, wear something very smart, like something you'd wear to a placement - it skirt, fitted jacket, shirt..etc. Don't dress up too much, for for something liek teaching you need to look smarter imo.

Same thing pretty much goes for most interviews, but dont overdo it. Most interviwers will be happy with you wearing smart casual.

If it's for something more Arty then You'd wear something a bit more quirky, as in casual but with a bit of a creative twist. That's my opinion anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by TheGrandmaster
Surely you need to tell us what it's an interview for?

Its a interview with a Uni - i applied to do a course at Harper Adams (food, nutrition and well-being) :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
guy is super easy. Get a fitted suit with stripes. Beneath wear a white shirt, blue or red tie. Grey waistcoat. Silver cuff links and not too flashy belt buckle like armani.

girls wear i don't really know how to describe it long skirt, thing that looks smart on top but looks suit like :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Ineedaplace
guy is super easy. Get a fitted suit with stripes. Beneath wear a white shirt, blue or red tie. Grey waistcoat. Silver cuff links and not too flashy belt buckle like armani.

girls wear i don't really know how to describe it long skirt, thing that looks smart on top but looks suit like :frown:

pencil skirt?

In my experience suit jackets worn by any male under the age of 25 just looks as if you're wearing your dad's clothes :P You can go for it but it is by no means essential.
if you don't wear a suit you get automatically disqualified for some positions. I actually wear one on a regular basis and I would definitely agree that some people look like they borrowed their dads, but majority of people look smart in them :smile: Their are even guys who dress better then the manager 3 weeks in wearing crazy 10000 pound clothing :s-smilie:
Reply 10
You could email admissions and ask if you're worried.

I'd wear smart trousers, ballet pumps, and a smart looking top ex. a shirt/blouse type thing, or a smartish t shirt ( you can't really see it, but like this one with a cardigan.

Don't go for the full blazer, pencil skirt thing because you'll just feel uncomfortable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Be formal and the tidiest possible. They decide whether to get you for the job or not within the first 90 seconds of the interview. Get your nails well manicured and your hair tidy. Walk and sit straight.

All The Best ! :smile:
Reply 12
Always wear smart clothes, it isn't that hard to figure out, is it?
to be honest I think it depends what kind of job you are going for and being 18 yes maybe a suit or super smart isn't the best idea unless it is an intern ship in the finance industry.

I think you will have to let people know what kind of job it is before you will get any usable advice.
if you don't wear a suit you get automatically disqualified for some positions. I actually wear one on a regular basis and I would definitely agree that some people look like they borrowed their dads, but majority of people look smart in them :smile: Their are even guys who dress better then the manager 3 weeks in wearing crazy 10000 pound clothing :s-smilie:

Which positions? I don't believe for a second that that's true for university interviews but if it was wouldn't it disqualify people from poor backgrounds who can't go out and afford a "cheap" £50 suit? I wore smart trousers, plain blue shirt and a snazzy-but-not-silly tie to my interviews and got offers from both. That's probably what they're expecting from guys tbh.
I mean interviews for investment banking in particular bulge brackets.
Reply 16
I went for a medicine interview, and went for the suit option (if I could figure out how to post pics I would mebbe post a pic (...wait this is the internet I probs shouldnt do that)) In the waiting room it was a 60/40 split between smart casual and suits, with suits being the 60. At the end of the day as long as you are presentable and comfortable is doesnt matter as there is no marking section for 'clothing' (at least for medicine) and if they mark you down elsewhere they would be risking thier jobs. All I can say is that I felt much more comfortable in the 60 part of the 60/40, and hey even if it had been the other way round I would feel more comfortable looking like id made more of an effort. The only way I wouldnt is if I was the only person in a suit. For medicine at least smart is good, a school adviser for applying to medicine told me you cant go wrong with a suit. but again sidetracking, if you feel odd in a suit then just go smart casual. Whatever you do dont go casual casual, unless the course you are applying to says so.
Reply 17
Original post by Rob da Mop
Which positions? I don't believe for a second that that's true for university interviews but if it was wouldn't it disqualify people from poor backgrounds who can't go out and afford a "cheap" £50 suit? I wore smart trousers, plain blue shirt and a snazzy-but-not-silly tie to my interviews and got offers from both. That's probably what they're expecting from guys tbh.

If you're going to buy a £50 suit dont bother buying one at all.
Reply 18
Short skirt if you are a girl !
Reply 19
Original post by lubus
If you're going to buy a £50 suit dont bother buying one at all.

/agree Im all for wearing a suit but smart/casual is waaaay better than a £50 suit

Quick Reply

Latest