The Student Room Group

What to do at uni? No idea what career to do :/

Firstly, I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, no idea where to put it :?

OK so I generally have no idea what to do after sixth form. Without blowing my own trumpet I'm very able and am capable of getting AAB or maybe even AAA at a-level.

I know you shouldn't go to uni for the sake of it, but seeing as I want a good secure job with good/great pay, I think university is the way forward.

Any suggestions as to where I should be looking for inspiration? I haven't ruled out being a Lawyer or a Police Officer (as was my wish for many years) but I think something else may be in order.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by S129439
Firstly, I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, no idea where to put it :?

OK so I generally have no idea what to do after sixth form. Without blowing my own trumpet I'm very able and am capable of getting AAB or maybe even AAA at a-level.

I know you shouldn't go to uni for the sake of it, but seeing as I want a good secure job with good/great pay, I think university is the way forward.

Any suggestions as to where I should be looking for inspiration? I haven't ruled out being a Lawyer or a Police Officer (as was my wish for many years) but I think something else may be in order.

Don't we all, you have a lot to learn.
Reply 2
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
Don't we all, you have a lot to learn.

What's that supposed to mean?
Reply 3
what about having a go at one of those test things? They're not going to be 100% accurate, but could give you a direction to look at if you really have no idea..?

This is a UCAs one, have a look: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/choosingcourses/choosingcourse/stamfordtest
Original post by S129439

It means a job your happy with isn't going to present itself to you once you graduate from university. Be prepared to crawl across a mile of broken glass that is the ****ty jobs you'll have to go through to reach where you want to be.
(edited 13 years ago)
What do you enjoy as a subject? Or even as a hobby? Your hobby could become your career ie: if you enjoy mechanics, then you can study mechanics at uni. What do you enjoy, that's not a school subject? ie: some people really really like the aspects of engineering, science etc... after looking at discovery channels.
Reply 6
Original post by -kit-kat-
what about having a go at one of those test things? They're not going to be 100% accurate, but could give you a direction to look at if you really have no idea..?

This is a UCAs one, have a look: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/choosingcourses/choosingcourse/stamfordtest

Thank you very much. Should have thought of this myself :/
Reply 7
Original post by S129439
Thank you very much. Should have thought of this myself :/

no problem :smile: did you find it useful?
Reply 8
Original post by -kit-kat-
no problem :smile: did you find it useful?

Fairly yeah. It threw up a few surprises but there were some of interest too, namely philosophy.
Reply 9
If you want to go to uni do it - worry about a job afterwards and then after five to ten years of working - then you can think about a career.
Go for the subject that you enjoy the most at a level and see where it takes you?
Original post by S129439

Which A-levels do you take, which are you best at, and which do you enjoy the most?
Reply 12
If you dont knwo then take a general degree, I only warn you that if you take a ****ty course you will be in massive debt and back on square one
Reply 13
Original post by A level Az
It means a job your happy with isn't going to present itself to you once you graduate from university. Be prepared to crawl across a mile of broken glass that is the ****ty jobs you'll have to go through to reach where you want to be.

So?
Generally, University is the way forward.
The OP has nothing to learn.
Reply 14
Original post by lukas1051
Which A-levels do you take, which are you best at, and which do you enjoy the most?

I do Philosophy, Law, Sociology and Politics. Probably going to drop Sociology.

So A-levels will be in Law, Politics and Philosophy.

I like Law and Philosophy the most.
Original post by S129439

LOL
Original post by S129439
I do Philosophy, Law, Sociology and Politics. Probably going to drop Sociology.

So A-levels will be in Law, Politics and Philosophy.

I like Law and Philosophy the most.

I can't relate as I do completely different subjects, but I'm sure with those subjects you will have no problem finding a degree in law, politics, that sort of area, they all seem closely related.
Reply 17
Don't worry about the specific career yet. Unless you want to do something sciency, like medicine, the degree you take won't really matter. My advice would be to think about what you would really enjoy studying for three or four years - can you imagine really in depth study in a particular subject, for example, writing a dissertation, while maintaining interest? University doesn't have to be focussed on getting a career, the intellectual growth is just as, if not more, important. You say you do Philosophy A-level, so perhaps consider that. Or look through a prospectus at all the courses offered that you won't have come across before. Read around the subjects that interest you. Talk to friends, especially those already at uni.
Most 17 year old have no idea what they want to do (unless you wanna be a doctor or something). But generally people go into uni with an idea, and that idea completely changes once they leave. That's the idea.
Just pick a subject that you enjoy, or if not take a gap year- because its an important decision.
I chose Law, and I do not want to be a solicitor or a barrister or anything related to that. I just thought the skills were very transferrable and its an interesting degree.
Reply 19
In exactly the same boat as you OP.

So frustrating everyone telling me to do a degree I enjoy and not a degree which I view as good with regard to career opportunities. I know they're probably right, but I just can't grasp that idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending