The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If that's your name, that's your name... it's not something you have control over. I mean generally double barrelled surnames are more common in upper class families, so maybe I would assume someone with a double barrelled name to be snobby if I had never met them, but then it's not always the case.
Reply 2
I honestly don't care.
Judging someone just because they have a hyphen in their surname is ridiculous.
I plan to have one when I get married- as I don't want to lose my maiden name! But I'm not upper class, or snobby, or anything like that. I'm actually "common as muck" according to my friends, lol :biggrin:
Reply 4
My friend knows somebody whose double-barrelled surname is O'Toole-Thrower.
I lol'd when I first heard it.
Reply 5
My kids will probably have one as I intend to keep my name when I get married. I don't think anything of it, unless it's something really posh like Whittington-Smythe or whatever.
Reply 6
It's not like they have control over their surname.

I've had a best friend with a double-barreled surname who wasn't a snob.
When I was about 10 I went through a phase of using my mothers maiden name and double barrelling. It lasted about a week.

I quite like double barrelled surnames though, if they work well together.
Reply 8
No I wouldn't assume someone who has a double barrelled name is a snob, I've met plenty of people who have a double barrelled surname and aren't pretentious. Sometimes a double barrelled surname can sound really nice, and other times it can sound quite funny, i.e. the previously mentioned example 'Whittington-Smythe' :p:
I have a friend who has a double-barreled surname, and he is probably one of the nicest people I've ever known. Connotations of being snobby and up your own arse are not entirely true; judging someone on their surname is low.
if its just two surnames like e.g O'brian-smith put together then i its ok...if not quite cool tbh

its when it gets to samuel 'wright-of-warwickshire' or Henry 'duke-of-Canterbury' when you need to get running
I have a double-barrelled surname. It definitely makes you sexy.
Reply 12
I know quite a few chavs who have kids before they get married and they give their kids the double barrelled surname. Classy.
I don't really think anything of it, if I saw a double barrelled name I probably would assume the person wasn't snobby exactly but definitely upper class. It's just a surname though at the end of the day. I wouldn't double barrell my surname because I realy can't see it going well with anything else!
eta: and imo it looks stupid when you give yourself the double barrelled name. If you're born with one, fair play. Giving yourself a doube barreller isn't cool to me
Original post by Gemma :)!
I plan to have one when I get married- as I don't want to lose my maiden name! But I'm not upper class, or snobby, or anything like that. I'm actually "common as muck" according to my friends, lol :biggrin:

Gemma, what will your children be called? Say if you're smith and your husband is wesson, and your kids are called Smith-Wesson, what then if THEY meet somebody who wants to keep their name, what will THEIR kids be called? You'll end up with triple barrelled names! For this reason I think we should stick with the system of the kids being named after one parent, not both.
Reply 14
Original post by alibobs
I know quite a few chavs who have kids before they get married and they give their kids the double barrelled surname. Classy.
I don't really think anything of it, if I saw a double barrelled name I probably would assume the person wasn't snobby exactly but definitely upper class. It's just a surname though at the end of the day. I wouldn't double barrell my surname because I realy can't see it going well with anything else!
eta: and imo it looks stupid when you give yourself the double barrelled name. If you're born with one, fair play. Giving yourself a doube barreller isn't cool to me

I understand what you mean about giving oneself a double-barrelled surname, but what if one's surname is Smith, and they hate the plainness; then they traced their family tree and found a surname of their 6 or 7x great grandparents which died out in the 1700s, and they wanted to 'revive' it by double barrelling?
I don't like them, I think they can sound quite silly and some are a complete mouthful.
Original post by DirtyPrettyThing
Gemma, what will your children be called? Say if you're smith and your husband is wesson, and your kids are called Smith-Wesson, what then if THEY meet somebody who wants to keep their name, what will THEIR kids be called? You'll end up with triple barrelled names! For this reason I think we should stick with the system of the kids being named after one parent, not both.

Our children will be given a double barrelled name. When they marry, it is their choice what they wish to do.

My children would have my name if I had to pick one, not his.
Reply 17
Try going to countries like Spain and Portugal, and tell me if you think they're snobby then. :colonhash:
Reply 18
The Germans banned triple barreled surnames.
I do make immediate connotations with posh people, yes. I'd rather take my wife's name than have a double-barrelled name TBH, not because I don't want to be seen as posh, I just don't like double-barrelled names.

Latest

Trending

Trending