The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Basically, I haven't done ANYTHING on my EPQ - apart from reading a few books and printing out some stuff.
I started in September and I have until late march to hand it in, can I still manage to get a B or even a C? I am really worried as I can't drop it, as it's on my PS and my qualifications on UCAS and I want to do well still!
Just to add, I haven't not done much because I'm lazy - it's because I've been focusing on resits/current lessons and totally forget about the EPQ.

Mine is on a History piece, so it's kind of like c/w (but longer).
Thanks if anyone can give me some advice :biggrin:
mellie220
Basically, I haven't done ANYTHING on my EPQ - apart from reading a few books and printing out some stuff.
I started in September and I have until late march to hand it in, can I still manage to get a B or even a C? I am really worried as I can't drop it, as it's on my PS and my qualifications on UCAS and I want to do well still!
Just to add, I haven't not done much because I'm lazy - it's because I've been focusing on resits/current lessons and totally forget about the EPQ.

Mine is on a History piece, so it's kind of like c/w (but longer).
Thanks if anyone can give me some advice

Hmm.... I don't know if this is quite as much of a problem as it initially appears! Mine was due in at the beginning of December and I only started work on it in September (we were advised to do it over Summer hols but I was away the entire time), and despite changing my question in October I still managed to get a good mark!

You have three months, right? So if you research alot, make a plan and get all ready to write by the end of January, you'll still have one month and a half to write 5000 words - less than 700 words/week, which is definately achievable.
Just make sure you use your time well with regards to research, as it is by far the most time-consuming element of the EPQ.

But on the whole, I don't think you need to worry too much as long as you are focussed and organised :biggrin:
Original post by *paperstars*
Hmm.... I don't know if this is quite as much of a problem as it initially appears! Mine was due in at the beginning of December and I only started work on it in September (we were advised to do it over Summer hols but I was away the entire time), and despite changing my question in October I still managed to get a good mark!

You have three months, right? So if you research alot, make a plan and get all ready to write by the end of January, you'll still have one month and a half to write 5000 words - less than 700 words/week, which is definately achievable.
Just make sure you use your time well with regards to research, as it is by far the most time-consuming element of the EPQ.

But on the whole, I don't think you need to worry too much as long as you are focussed and organised :biggrin:

Thanks, when you put it that way it sounds achievable :biggrin: I won't be ready to write until the end of January so that's good ^^
I have a little bit of research... need to do much more but I will make sure to do lots over the next month.

Thank you for the advice and the reassurance :biggrin:
:biggrin: Good luck!
I'm currently in my last year of college, and I'm starting somethign called Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) which is a qualification where you can write a report, or do a presentation, a play, a fundraser, evaluate a question, build something and write up about it and the problems, anything you want. Universities apparently love it as it is individual project work and is very unique to each person.

I need a title idea which will go down well (apparantly the nerdier the better) I have some intrest in space and the stars and was thinking something to do with that which in the form of an investigation, so anyone know any good ideas relating to that~?

One idea I thought of could be something to do with measuring the accuracy of weather reports because im always checking them and always getting annoyed when their wrong. Can anyone think of a title or a question I could use and relate to that?

Or any other smart sounding ideas which could be intresting!

Cheers.
Aliens are always interesting.
'Are we alone?' etc...
Reply 1386
EPQ is probably the easiest A* you will get but I really don't think it enhances your application much at all personally, unless you have interviews or stuff, then it could be handy.

And I agree with the person above, aliens are always interesting......
Reply 1387
Original post by Hammy1892
I'm currently in my last year of college, and I'm starting somethign called Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) which is a qualification where you can write a report, or do a presentation, a play, a fundraser, evaluate a question, build something and write up about it and the problems, anything you want. Universities apparently love it as it is individual project work and is very unique to each person.

I need a title idea which will go down well (apparantly the nerdier the better) I have some intrest in space and the stars and was thinking something to do with that which in the form of an investigation, so anyone know any good ideas relating to that~?

One idea I thought of could be something to do with measuring the accuracy of weather reports because im always checking them and always getting annoyed when their wrong. Can anyone think of a title or a question I could use and relate to that?

Or any other smart sounding ideas which could be intresting!

Cheers.

You need to make sure your topic title is clear and focused, otherwise you'll find yourself writing far too much. 5000 words may seem like a lot, but if you've got a lot to write about it really isn't.

I am also currently doing one on Variable stars and how the light varies, which was previously going to be an overview of stellar evolution in many types of stars, so don't think your first topic title will always be the one you'll end up doing.
Original post by Deshi
EPQ is probably the easiest A* you will get

Mind elaborating? :smile:
Can someone please give me an outline of things/what's meant to be happening? Basically, my school asked people to sign up for it and think of a question in September. But that's pretty much the last thing we've heard from them. The person in charge of EPQ is also the person leading UCAS so they've prety much been preoccupied with that and keeping everyone in the dark with it. I've read some books to do with my topic and that's it. I've heard you have to fill in these work sheets and that is what is the most time consuming thing (apparently, even more so that the reading/writing). I don't know when the due date is but from what people have said on this thread, probably March time. How long do I need ideally, sparingly? (as opposed to if I were to cram do it?)
ForFreedom
Can someone please give me an outline of things/what's meant to be happening?

Well, obviously this depends on which EPQ you're doing - I did AQA so I'll tell you what's involved in that one (I think they're all very similar).
First, research research research around your chosen question. Probably about 2 months absolute minumum for this stage... But I would say 3 months + is more sensible.

Next, actually writing the EPQ - you have to write roughly 5000 words on your chosen question (with 10% leeway) How long this takes depends alot on how fast you write etc - it's a good idea to start writing at the end of your research phase and phase out of research. Whether or not you want some kind of writing schedule to help you along with this is up to you.

Lastly, (not sure if this bit applies to your project or not) an absolutely JOYFUL presentation of your project. And at about the same time as your preparing this, you have to complete the EPQ booklet/journal where you describe your journey, how you planned the stages, how you feel it went etc. If these are the worksheets being referred to before, then yes, they are super-dull and tedious but in no way do they take longer than the research/writing. It just seems like they do.

I would say three months is the most sparing you could manage - I put a rough time plan up earlier (look above) for someone who didn't have much time - maybe that would help you too? :smile:
Reply 1391
Original post by ForFreedom
Mind elaborating? :smile:

It's easy. I didn't read one book on my topic. Content barely matters. Just present it nicely, have some nice graphs, and a big bibliography and you're there pretty much. I got 24/25 and I barely did jack all.
Reply 1392
Original post by *paperstars*
Well, obviously this depends on which EPQ you're doing - I did AQA so I'll tell you what's involved in that one (I think they're all very similar).
First, research research research around your chosen question. Probably about 2 months absolute minumum for this stage... But I would say 3 months + is more sensible.

Next, actually writing the EPQ - you have to write roughly 5000 words on your chosen question (with 10% leeway) How long this takes depends alot on how fast you write etc - it's a good idea to start writing at the end of your research phase and phase out of research. Whether or not you want some kind of writing schedule to help you along with this is up to you.

Lastly, (not sure if this bit applies to your project or not) an absolutely JOYFUL presentation of your project. And at about the same time as your preparing this, you have to complete the EPQ booklet/journal where you describe your journey, how you planned the stages, how you feel it went etc. If these are the worksheets being referred to before, then yes, they are super-dull and tedious but in no way do they take longer than the research/writing. It just seems like they do.

I would say three months is the most sparing you could manage - I put a rough time plan up earlier (look above) for someone who didn't have much time - maybe that would help you too? :smile:

2 months minimum on research? Are you kidding me?
Hi,
Last year the subject choices/careers person in my school told me that the AQA EPQ was available to all students, however now it is no longer listed in the school prospectus. I want to do an English based EPQ as I think it sounds like a great way to get to grips with another period, hone in on my essay writing techniques etc and get a qualification out of it. In the first week of Jan term I have a sixth form interview where I'm discussing subject choices - do you think I should bring up the EPQ? If so, do you think they'll be expecting me to have a clearer idea of what I want to base it on? (If so, I better get thinking fast!)
Original post by Deshi

+1 this. I have heard that it's possible to do the entire thing in 2 weeks or so if you really cram.
Original post by Deshi
It's easy. I didn't read one book on my topic. Content barely matters. Just present it nicely, have some nice graphs, and a big bibliography and you're there pretty much. I got 24/25 and I barely did jack all.

Oohyou've given me hope :smile:

Btw I was looking through the markscheme thing...what is this "develop and realise" stuff?
Reply 1396
Original post by ForFreedom
Oohyou've given me hope :smile:

Btw I was looking through the markscheme thing...what is this "develop and realise" stuff?

You'll have to show me because I don't have the markscheme anymore and cba looking for it, trying to revise for semester 1 exams :frown:

Anyway, I don't want you to completely take my word, my question might have been easier than most which is why it didn't reasearch much, it also helped having my economics teacher of two years, who completely loves me, being my EPQ teacher.
Original post by Deshi
You'll have to show me because I don't have the markscheme anymore and cba looking for it, trying to revise for semester 1 exams :frown:

Anyway, I don't want you to completely take my word, my question might have been easier than most which is why it didn't reasearch much, it also helped having my economics teacher of two years, who completely loves me, being my EPQ teacher.

Oooh, it's ok then :colondollar:

What was your question anyway?
deshi

Sorry for suggesting that it would be a good idea to actually put some EFFORT into getting a decent qualification that is good practice for university study.
It's worth more in experience than in UCAS points. :biggrin:

Although tbf I did spend waaay too much time on research cause I had no previous knowledge of my question whatsoever.
The amount of research probably does rest more on things like the amount of previous knowledge and teacher support ... but I would still wholeheartedly recommend a long research period to anyone. It was the only bit of EPQ I really enjoyed ^^"

ForFreedom

I think that "develop and realise" is about showing your planning and how your work has progressed. Have you seen a copy of the EPQ project booklet? Most of the marks from this AO come from filling in the booklet correctly and showing any changes/developments to your original plan with coherent reasoning, and to kind of prove that the final thing wasn't just the result of an 8-hour caffeine fix - whether that is true or not!!
Fill in the book and at least convince your supervisor that you're making progress and you should do fine with this bit... it takes minimal effort and is an irrelevant bit to be marked on IMO. All you need to do is appear organised and FILL IN THE BOOK. Forge dates if necessary on this last bit. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hello :biggrin: I am doing an EPQ this year, and I wasn't previously told about the fact that we have to do a presentation on it :/ What do you have to do for this presentation? Is it like a powerpoint in front of people where you simply talk about the topic you researched? (My supervisor is rather unorganised)

Quick Reply

Latest