The Student Room Group

Further Pure 1 - roots of polynomial equations

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nkvuong

Now consider the new root

βγ+γβ=(β+γ)2βγ2=α2βγ2=α3b2[br]\frac{\beta}{\gamma}+\frac{ \gamma}{\beta}=\frac{(\beta+ \gamma)^2}{\beta\gamma}-2=\frac{\alpha^2}{\beta\gamma}-2=\frac{\alpha^3}{b}-2[br]

Wow that was impressive; but how did you get -2? Another thing - when you cross multiply βγ+γβ\frac{\beta}{\gamma}+\frac{ \gamma}{\beta} do you not get α2+β2\alpha^2 + \beta^2 in the numerator?

I'm going to provide the answer anyway for those interested:

b2(1+u)3+a3(u+2)=0b^2(1 + u)^3 + a^3(u + 2) = 0

Where uu is simply a variable. I still don't understand how you arrive at that answer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Femto
Wow that was impressive; but how did you get -2? Another thing - when you cross multiply βγ+γβ\frac{\beta}{\gamma}+\frac{ \gamma}{\beta} do you not get α2+β2\alpha^2 + \beta^2 in the numerator?

I'm going to provide the answer anyway for those interested:

b2(1+u)3+a3(u+2)=0b^2(1 + u)^3 + a^3(u + 2) = 0

Where uu is simply a variable. I still don't understand how you arrive at that answer.

It's quite simple, considering the expansion of (β+γ)2=β2+γ2+2βγ(\beta+ \gamma)^2 = \beta^2 + \gamma^2 + 2\beta \gamma

If the answer is that, then my method is correct, since ba=3bb=3 \frac{-b}{a} = \frac{-3b}{b} = -3
Reply 22
This question seems to be a bit more complicated than what is normally in an FP1 paper, so don't worry too much. May I suggest using the "finding the new roots method", as you were doing previously. So we need to find the sum of the roots, the sum of the product of pairs of roots, and the product of all the roots.

Original post by Femto
α+β+γ=0[br][br]αβ+αγ+βγ=a[br][br]αβγ=b\alpha + \beta + \gamma = 0[br][br]\alpha\beta + \alpha\gamma + \beta\gamma = a[br][br]\alpha\beta\gamma = -b

Sum of roots = βγ+γβ+γα+αγ+αβ+βα\displaystyle \frac{\beta}{\gamma} + \frac{\gamma}{\beta} + \frac{\gamma}{\alpha} + \frac{\alpha}{\gamma} + \frac{\alpha}{\beta} + \frac{\beta}{\alpha}

and you got to α(β2+γ2)+β(α2+γ2)+γ(α2+β2)αβγ \displaystyle\frac{\alpha(\beta^2 + \gamma^2) + \beta(\alpha^2 + \gamma^2) + \gamma(\alpha^2 + \beta^2)}{\alpha\beta\gamma} .

Note that this simplifies further to (α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα)3αβγαβγ \displaystyle\frac {(\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha) - 3\alpha\beta\gamma}{\alpha\beta \gamma}
(You might want to check to see if that's correct :P ). You know the values of all of the things in that fraction from the above equations, so you can obtain the new sum of the roots.

Now you will need to repeat this for the product of pairs and the product of the roots.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Goldfishy
This question seems to be a bit more complicated than what is normally in an FP1 paper, so don't worry too much. May I suggest using the "finding the new roots method", as you were doing previously. So we need to find the sum of the roots, the sum of the product of pairs of roots, and the product of all the roots.

Sum of roots = βγ+γβ+γα+αγ+αβ+βα\displaystyle \frac{\beta}{\gamma} + \frac{\gamma}{\beta} + \frac{\gamma}{\alpha} + \frac{\alpha}{\gamma} + \frac{\alpha}{\beta} + \frac{\beta}{\alpha}

and you got to α(β2+γ2)+β(α2+γ2)+γ(α2+β2)αβγ \displaystyle\frac{\alpha(\beta^2 + \gamma^2) + \beta(\alpha^2 + \gamma^2) + \gamma(\alpha^2 + \beta^2)}{\alpha\beta\gamma} .

Note that this simplifies further to
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\frac {(\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha) - 3\alpha\beta\gamma}{\alphga\beta\gamma}

(You might want to check to see if that's correct :P ). You know the values of all of the things in that fraction from the above equations, so you can obtain the new sum of the roots.

Now you will need to repeat this for the product of pairs and the product of the roots.

Thank you very much - I'm too daft to realise the simplfied form of that expression, so sorry about that :colondollar:

I will get to work on it once I've done some worthwile revision for my January exams; this FP1 question isn't important right now, I just encountered it for a bit of fun.

It turns out it wasn't fun at all! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Femto
Thank you very much - I'm too daft to realise the simplfied form of that expression, so sorry about that :colondollar:

I will get to work on it once I've done some worthwile revision for my January exams; this FP1 question isn't important right now, I just encountered it for a bit of fun.

It turns out it wasn't fun at all! :biggrin:

I found the simplified form quite luckily anyway, so it wasn't obvious. Good luck with the exams :h:

Quick Reply

Latest