The Student Room Group

I cannot afford graduate fees

Hello (again --- started quite a few threads recently).
I wanted to know if it is true that we have to pay 3290 pounds each year of our studies if we decide to do medicine? I cannot afford it (after +12 000 pounds in debt for my firs tdegree). Do you think it is even worth it? I don't want to owe 30 000 pounds. :frown: :frown:

Basically, this statement on the UCL website scared me: " Graduates intending to apply are strongly advised to give careful consideration to the financial implications of
embarking on the medical programme."
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by itzme
I wanted to know if it is true that we have to pay 3290 pounds each year of our studies if we decide to do medicine? I cannot afford it (after +12 000 pounds in debt for my firs tdegree). Do you think it is even worth it? I don't want to owe 30 000 pounds. :frown: :frown:

If you are applying for GEM for entry in 2011, it will cost £3000~ for your first year out of your own pocket with the NHS paying for years 2-4. For normal (5 year) entry, you will have to pay the 4 years out of your own pocket as it is classed as a second degree.

If you are applying for entry in 2012 or further into the future, the increase in fees will effect both GEM and normal entry medicine. As far as I know, the NHS bursary will probably continue for GEM as they haven't said otherwise (afaik), meaning you will have to pay up to £9000 for your first year. For normal entry medicine, it could cost up to £45000 - £54000.

e:
Original post by itzme
Basically, this statement on the UCL website scared me: " Graduates intending to apply are strongly advised to give careful consideration to the financial implications of embarking on the medical programme."

I have no idea how the financial implications of GEM have only just hit you.
(edited 13 years ago)
4yr courses have 3yrs of NHS funding. 5yr courses have 1yr funding.

If you think it's expensive now, wait until fees are £9k a year.

You can get a £25k career development loan from one of the high street banks.
Reply 3
Undergraduate tuition fees will be £3375 a year for 2011/12 for all courses. They will increase significantly thereafter. Other than that I have no idea what you are asking.
Reply 4
Original post by Blackspur
Undergraduate tuition fees will be £3375 a year for 2011/12 for all courses. They will increase significantly thereafter. Other than that I have no idea what you are asking.

i am talking about gradaute entry. i am doing a degree but I have taken a loan from the student loan company. I will need to repay 12 000 pounds at least. If i decide to study medicine after my degree, then I will also have to take a loan since I simply cannot afford the fees (btw, I will apply for 2012 entry, when the fees will increase :frown: )
Reply 5
What degree are you doing at the moment?
Reply 6
Original post by Beska

I have no idea how the financial implications of GEM have only just hit you.

i have just considered graduate entry to medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by Blackspur
What degree are you doing at the moment?

history
Reply 8
Original post by itzme
i have just considered graduate entry to medicine.

Fair point, from your other posts I just assumed you were applying for 2011 entry or something.
Reply 9
Original post by itzme
i am talking about gradaute entry. i am doing a degree but I have taken a loan from the student loan company. I will need to repay 12 000 pounds at least. If i decide to study medicine after my degree, then I will also have to take a loan since I simply cannot afford the fees (btw, I will apply for 2012 entry, when the fees will increase :frown: )

Your student loan won't be repayable until you start earning above a certain threshold, so no need to worry too much about that (although I know it's not nice to feel the debt sitting there). The NHS bursaries help and you're still entitled to some reduced student loans.

I calculated I needed ~£20k of my own money for GEM so worked for a couple of years before applying to save up. Turns out I'll need more than I calculated... something I'm working on right now! If you're not in a rush to apply immediately you could work to save... especially if your parents are nice and will let you live at home with reduced rent.
Reply 10
Original post by spin
Your student loan won't be repayable until you start earning above a certain threshold, so no need to worry too much about that (although I know it's not nice to feel the debt sitting there). The NHS bursaries help and you're still entitled to some reduced student loans.

I calculated I needed ~£20k of my own money for GEM so worked for a couple of years before applying to save up. Turns out I'll need more than I calculated... something I'm working on right now! If you're not in a rush to apply immediately you could work to save... especially if your parents are nice and will let you live at home with reduced rent.

well my parents are nice and they require me to pay rent (though i help financially in other ways). BUT, like you said: I hate being indebted :frown: i constantly think about my debts. I am 20 now (and so I am still young and can apply a few years later). However, I'd prefer to apply ASAP (with requirements becoming stricter each year, I can't just wait)
Reply 11
At least you English people get NHS bursaries, us Northern Ireland graduates get **** all.
Original post by itzme

Basically, this statement on the UCL website scared me: " Graduates intending to apply are strongly advised to give careful consideration to the financial implications of
embarking on the medical programme."

I'm afraid to say there's no way out of it.

I really don't want to sound like I'm putting you off, because I feel the same way as you, but it's something you're going to have to swallow.

I feel so so lucky for being in a position to raise the £9,000 pretty easily for the first year. I've spoken to the BMA about this several times, and they feel just the same way.

The crux of the matter is GEP was designed for people in poor backgrounds or who didn't have access to good science courses at their schools to become doctors, and now it's becoming the preserve of the mega rich.

There should be a white paper out on the matter, it was due in October but the government delayed it. Until that's out the jury is really still out.
Reply 13
If you realy think medicine suits you then go for it :wink:
Reply 14
personally its a **** deal the torys brought on us, but who is suprised, they are the tories, designed for centuries to **** on the poor.

do gep or bust.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending