The Student Room Group

Giving blood - your views

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Cybele
How can anyone justify not giving blood if they're healthy enough to do so? :dontknow:

Not allowed to because I had a transfusion when I was a baby.
Reply 41
Never been allowed to cause I had sex with a guy before I turned 18. Otherwise I would. Stupid law.

How is it consistent that I'm NEVER allowed to give blood, but if I were to have sex with a woman, she'd be allowed to after 12 months? Why does that make sense?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by NurseTobex
Where do you live? In England you can start donating at 17 :smile:

Oooh I didn't know that :smile: I might go for it next time I have the opportunity then, hopefully they won't find anything wrong with me that means I can't donate, seems to have happened to about half the people I know who've tried!

Original post by blue acre
Digits?

:dry:
Reply 43
Original post by Bella_Gail
Not allowed to because I had a transfusion when I was a baby.

Yeah I mean people who are not medically exempt! :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Bezzler
Never been allowed to cause I had sex with a guy before I turned 18. Otherwise I would. Stupid law.

How is it consistent that I'm NEVER allowed to give blood, but if I were to have sex with a woman, she'd be allowed to after 12 months? Why does that make sense?

I agree - they're missing out on a lot of blood by prohibiting gay men (or men who've had sex with men) from donating. It is a silly and inconsistant law.
Original post by kat2pult
What are your views on giving blood? Would you do it? Why wouldn't you? How would you feel receiving other peoples blood if you had an accident?

I really really want to give blood but I can't since I've been anaemic for 5 years now and therefore my blood wouldn't be much good since despite lots of iron intake I can't get my levels up :rolleyes:
I would receive blood if I had an accident, but I wouldn't take anyone else's organs, mainly due to the fact that I myself am not on the Organ Donor register therefore in principle, I feel it would be mean to take someone elses :colondollar:
Reply 46
I've done it once and plan to again but I've got to wait longer than normal cos I went to a malaria zone :frown:

If you can, do it!
Reply 47
Original post by kat2pult
What are your views on giving blood? Would you do it? Why wouldn't you? How would you feel receiving other peoples blood if you had an accident?

I admire people who do it, and I wouldn't have a problem recieving blood (I'd be ultra-paranoid about how clean it was though!). However, I could not physically give blood. I have an extremely low pain threshold, and I'm terrified of needles to the point where I'll kick, scream and pass out. With school vaccinations, they had to get the crash mats out, haha. So yeah it's not really suitable for me to give blood.
Reply 48
I soooo wish I could, I was 3 months premature and had to have transfusions or I wouldn't have survived, I wish I coulda had the chance to give something back!
Having said that, I'd probably fall about fainting everywhere lol, I'm so squeamish, so I'd probably cause them too much hassle.
I am proudly on the organ donor register though :wink:
Would I recieve it again? Yes I would.
Reply 49
Original post by Cybele
How can anyone justify not giving blood if they're healthy enough to do so? :dontknow:

Do you only mean physical health? Because as I said in my post, I have an extreme phobia of needles and medical procedures, which is more than just being scared. I can't even cope with injections, I've had the basic ones and I nearly injured everyone around me because I instinctively squirm and try to force the people off of me. I also get really confused after needle exposure, I nearly ran out onto a main road because I didn't know where I was. I'm like that because as a baby I nearly died, and had to have several painful, invasive procedures which left me traumatised. But I guess technically, I'm healthy and could give blood once I turned 18. :dontknow:
Reply 50
I'm not sure if I can give blood, as I have anaemia and other vitamin deficiencies and I'm often on antibiotics for various things. I'd like to find out, but I always miss them when I'm at home or uni. I'm going to make an effort to find out when the next one is, and if I can give blood at that time, I will. I really want to find out what my blood group is :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by JW92
Not allowed. Having said that, I probably wouldn't even if I could. It's just another of those things I'd keep meaning to get around to and it's not as if hospitals are running out of blood.

hospitals across the country are experiencing a national blood shortage, especially with the flu season and the fact that people aren't coming to donate due to the snow and cold weather.
Reply 52
Original post by awais590
My life was saved because of blood donors so I'm definitely going to give it. :smile:

dont know if someones said this, but i dont think you can give blood if you've recieved it.... :/
Reply 53
Original post by awais590
:frown:

Thanks for the information. :smile:

i shoud have read on before saying my message :frown:
sorry you cant do it :frown: xxx
I can't, my blood is a bit too gay apparently. I would gladly receive some pure heterosexual blood in the event of an accident.
Reply 55
I would love to give blood but I really hate needles. I do admire those people who give blood.
i've given blood and would do again, the donar award scheme" is a good incentive, god i want that decanter!

http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/donor-award-scheme/whole-blood-donor/
Reply 57
Original post by laurie:)
hospitals across the country are experiencing a national blood shortage, especially with the flu season and the fact that people aren't coming to donate due to the snow and cold weather.

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/exclusion/

How can you justify excluding men who have sex with men from donating when there are blood shortages in this country?

There has been a safe and sufficient blood supply in this country for many years, although the rate of blood donations is subject to fluctuations. This is when we make particular efforts to ask the public particularly those with rare blood groups to give blood.

:dontknow:
Reply 58
Original post by cybergrad
I used to, until they introduced appointments.....

They still do walk ins :smile: just ring and check which ones as a few are appointment only. x
Reply 59
I wana give blood. I looked at the questions you have to tick and I dont understand how one would know if he is HIV or Hepataitis posative, I mean say someone for sure knows he is clean but in reality he aint and donates blood...or do they do the checks themselfes first?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending