The Student Room Group

The bullying argument against gay adoption...

... I don't really understand this often-used argument. Yes, there is a possibility that a child would get bullied for having gay parents, but the list of things they could get bullied for is absolutely staggering! If bullies want to target you, they find something about you to make fun of, even if it's completely fictional.

Also, wasn't it the case not so long ago that the children of single parents and mixed race parents were susceptible to bullying? But that's not so common anymore, because we're now used to it. Why don't we do the same for LGBT parenting?

So, what I'm asking is, why do we keep submitting bullying as a reason against gay adoption exclusively?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why give a bully more ammunition?
These kids need a stable home. Just because they could get bullied anyway, doesn't mean that you shouldn't do what you can to try and prevent them from being targets.

Children of single parents? I think not..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Converse
Why give a bully more ammunition?
These kids need a stable home. Just because they could get bullied anyway, doesn't mean that you shouldn't do what you can to try and prevent them from being targets.

Children of single parents? I think not..

What makes you think that a child of gay parents wouldn't have a stable home? That's an incredibly closed minded opinion. There are thousands of unstable heterosexual homes that children can grow up in, just because a child might have gay parents, it doesn't automatically result in an unstable family life.
In fact, a recent study has shown that the child of gay parents actually does better in school and is better adapted than children from heterosexual families because the parents actively planned and wanted to have the child, compared to a heterosexual couple who can have a child by 'accident'.
Is it better than no parents in a home? I would say it probably is. Teasing for no parents or Gay parents. Does it make a difference?

Better to have a stable household imo.
Reply 4
Original post by Sezy
What makes you think that a child of gay parents wouldn't have a stable home? That's an incredibly closed minded opinion. There are thousands of unstable heterosexual homes that children can grow up in, just because a child might have gay parents, it doesn't automatically result in an unstable family life.
In fact, a recent study has shown that the child of gay parents actually does better in school and is better adapted than children from heterosexual families because the parents actively planned and wanted to have the child, compared to a heterosexual couple who can have a child by 'accident'.

You obviously didn't even read the post you quoted. It mentioned nothing about stable homes.

Stop being so racist.
I really would not like to have 2 daddies.
Reply 6
Given that the choice is not between homosexual parents or heterosexual parents, but rather is between homosexual parents or the orphanage, I know where I'd rather grow up.

By the way, anyone who argues in favour of discriminating against homosexual couples, that is fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but could you change your sig to "I AM A HOMOPHOBE" so that future debaters can identify you quickly and easily? Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by Pickford
You obviously didn't even read the post you quoted. It mentioned nothing about stable homes.

Stop being so racist.

I think you'll find it did actually, in the second line:

'Why give a bully more ammunition?
These kids need a stable home. Just because they could get bullied anyway, doesn't mean that you shouldn't do what you can to try and prevent them from being targets.'

Thus making my argument entirely valid.
Learn to read.
Additionally, nothing about what I said was racist. Grow up.
Reply 8
Original post by innerhollow

So, what I'm asking is, why do we keep submitting bullying as a reason against gay adoption exclusively?

Because there a still a fair few closet homophobes in this country grasping at straws for reasons that won't make them seem outwardly prejudiced.
Original post by crazylemon
Is it better than no parents in a home? I would say it probably is. Teasing for no parents or Gay parents. Does it make a difference?

Better to have a stable household imo.

This, basically.
Pfft. I'd rather see a child with two loving parents, be it two mums or two dads, than in a care home. Especially at this time of year :frown:
Original post by py0alb
Given that the choice is not between homosexual parents or heterosexual parents, but rather is between homosexual parents or the orphanage, I know where I'd rather grow up.

By the way, anyone who argues in favour of discriminating against homosexual couples, that is fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but could you change your sig to "I AM A HOMOPHOBE" so that future debaters can identify you quickly and easily? Thanks.

I'm not a homophobe, I just don't think that two men, or two women for that matter, should be allowed to raise a child. Fact is, they will get bullied for it and anyone who says they won't is naive. Just because they could get bullied for other things, it doesn't mean that its OK. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning a child getting bullied because they have homosexual parents, but I do disagree with the basic premise that homosexual couples should be entitled to raise a child.
Reply 12
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
I'm not a homophobe, I just don't think that two men, or two women for that matter, should be allowed to raise a child. Fact is, they will get bullied for it and anyone who says they won't is naive. Just because they could get bullied for other things, it doesn't mean that its OK. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning a child getting bullied because they have homosexual parents, but I do disagree with the basic premise that homosexual couples should be entitled to raise a child.

Kids get bullied for being ginger, therefore all ginger parents should not be allowed to procreate! Kids get bullied for being fat, therefore all chubbers should not be allowed to procreate! Kids get bullied for being retarded, therefore homophobes like you should not be allowed to procreate!
Reply 13

Why?
Do you have an other reasons against it apart from "they'll get bullied"?
Children can get bullied for any number of reasons - if bullies found out they were in care/had no parents they'd probably use that against them instead. At least if they had homosexual parents they'd have a nice home and a sympathetic ear to come home to at the end of the day.
Reply 14

Look, you're entitled to your opinions but you are a homophobe. Your second statement fit the definition of what the word "homophobe" means. Presuming that you are in favour of white heterosexual adoption:
If you are against mixed race adoption, you are discriminating based on race, and therefore a racist.
If you are against homosexual adoption, you are you are discriminating based on sexuality, and therefore a homophobe.

You can't change the definition of a word simply to try and make yourself feel better about your unpleasant bigoted opinions.

Honestly answer me: would you rather be raised by two loving and caring parents who happen to be both of the same sex, or would you rather grow up sleeping in an orphanage dormitory with no parents at all?

A kid from an orphanage would jump at the chance to be adopted by a homosexual couple, and would have a far happier life as a result. Who the **** are you to deny these kids the chance of a better life just because it doesn't fit into your disgusting backward and bigoted view of the world?
Original post by Sereni
Kids get bullied for being ginger, therefore all ginger parents should not be allowed to procreate! Kids get bullied for being fat, therefore all chubbers should not be allowed to procreate! Kids get bullied for being retarded, therefore homophobes like you should not be allowed to procreate!

I'm not saying they shouldn't have children Because they will get bullied, I don't think they should for numerous other reasons, this being one of the least significant. Also, people seem to think the only alternative to a children having homosexual parents is being in a care home/orphanage, which is just clearly not true. You can call me homophobic all you want, I'm not, I'm just not scared to give my opinion as far as this is concerned.
Original post by py0alb
Look, you're entitled to your opinions but you are a homophobe. Your second statement fit the definition of what the word "homophobe" means. Presuming that you are in favour of white heterosexual adoption:
If you are against mixed race adoption, you are discriminating based on race, and therefore a racist.
If you are against homosexual adoption, you are you are discriminating based on sexuality, and therefore a homophobe.

You can't change the definition of a word simply to try and make yourself feel better about your unpleasant bigoted opinions.

Honestly answer me: would you rather be raised by two loving and caring parents who happen to be both of the same sex, or would you rather grow up sleeping in an orphanage dormitory with no parents at all?

A kid from an orphanage would jump at the chance to be adopted by a homosexual couple, and would have a far happier life as a result. Who the **** are you to deny these kids the chance of a better life just because it doesn't fit into your disgusting backward and bigoted view of the world?

Woah, don't cry.

Firstly, you seem to think that the only alternative to a child who doesn't get adopted by homosexual parents is living in an orphanage. You're wrong. Homosexual couples can have their own children by using a surrogate, for example, therefore creating a child as opposed to giving one a better life who otherwise may not have had the opportunity.

Also, I don't think the law is necessarily going to be changed because of my opinions so actually I'm not going to "deny these kids the chance of a better life".

As I said before, call me as homophobic as you like, I have friends that are gay, so your words dont effect me, I just categorically disagree with homosexual couples being allowed to raise children. End of.
Reply 17
It's a bit of a rubbish argument. If gay people could adopt children, and lots of gay people did adopt children, then it would become more socially normal and acceptable. Just like kids no longer get bullied for having unmarried parents, or divorced parents, or not knowing their dad, or whatever...
Reply 18
I'm not saying they shouldn't have children Because they will get bullied, I don't think they should for numerous other reasons, this being one of the least significant. Also, people seem to think the only alternative to a children having homosexual parents is being in a care home/orphanage, which is just clearly not true. You can call me homophobic all you want, I'm not, I'm just not scared to give my opinion as far as this is concerned.

So what are these "numerous other reasons"?

Honestly, the bullying argument is so ridiculous. Should fat people not be allowed to adopt? Disabled people? Older people? I don't think that the predjudices of a few bullies should prevent a child from receiving a loving home.

But seriously I know someone with gay parents and tbh no one actually brings it up and they're rather popular :s-smilie:
I genuinly don't see the problem with gay parents...
I guess some people just can't comprehend diversity?
Literally, all of my life I've never understood WHY there are such things as homophobia, racism etc because they really are pointless, people are people and that's it in my eyes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending