The Student Room Group

Changed mind about AS resit

I put myself down for a resit on an AS exam at my sixth form, but I've changed my mind about resitting now since I think I should be focussing on my other resits. I got a mid-B for the subject (76%) and my teacher nagged me to resit it but I know I can pull that grade to an A this year. What should I do? What are the repercussions if I decide to miss it?
Reply 1
I'm sure you get fined £60 if you don't show up to the exam or something :/
Reply 2
This is all for edexcel.

Their deadline for pulling out of an exam is two weeks before the exam date. I'm not sure what you're school will say though.

Nothing official happens if you miss an exam, other than that you can't do that exam. You'll catch flack from you're school though, probably, if you don't tell them beforehand. I don't know what their policy is. You won't get a refund of the entry fees anyway, so why not write it?
Reply 3
Im in the same position as you. Im just purposley going to get U in my one resit:smile:
Besides, it'll be good for people who are trying to get high UMS in that specfic exam, lots more U grades lol so boundaries would be lower.
Reply 4
Original post by Shippy
I'm sure you get fined £60 if you don't show up to the exam or something :/
Huhh? Where did you get that from? That's crazy :frown:

Original post by Melanie-v
This is all for edexcel.

Their deadline for pulling out of an exam is two weeks before the exam date. I'm not sure what you're school will say though.

Nothing official happens if you miss an exam, other than that you can't do that exam. You'll catch flack from you're school though, probably, if you don't tell them beforehand. I don't know what their policy is. You won't get a refund of the entry fees anyway, so why not write it?
Unfortunately the subject is with WJEC, but the exam is on the 18th, so if they have the same policy as Edexcel, I still have time :biggrin: My school pays for resits, but I don't mind paying them back for the fee. Hmm, I think I might just take it and try my best without revision. I'm just scared that it'll look really bad if I get a bad grade with my resit. I mean, I know they count the highest grade only but won't my uni still know that I resat it? Thank you for your help :biggrin:

Original post by Medicz
Im in the same position as you. Im just purposley going to get U in my one resit:smile:
Besides, it'll be good for people who are trying to get high UMS in that specfic exam, lots more U grades lol so boundaries would be lower.
Haha, how considerate of you! Why don't you just try your hardest anyway? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by IAmAFat
Huhh? Where did you get that from? That's crazy :frown:

Unfortunately the subject is with WJEC, but the exam is on the 18th, so if they have the same policy as Edexcel, I still have time :biggrin: My school pays for resits, but I don't mind paying them back for the fee. Hmm, I think I might just take it and try my best without revision. I'm just scared that it'll look really bad if I get a bad grade with my resit. I mean, I know they count the highest grade only but won't my uni still know that I resat it? Thank you for your help :biggrin:

Haha, how considerate of you! Why don't you just try your hardest anyway? :biggrin:

I don't think they'll know unless you tell them.
Since you're resitting an AS in January, I'll assume you've already applied/are about to do so. Unless you're applyig for medicine or something where they make offers with "... in one sitting" at the end, it shouldn't make any difference.
They won't see any results of that resit in time for the offer-making decisions anyway.
Reply 6
Turn up and do it, but don't revise :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest