The Student Room Group

Giving blood - your views

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

i saw that you mentioned you couldn't donate, i was just correcting your point that 'hospitals aren't running out of blood' :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by laurie:)
i saw that you mentioned you couldn't donate, i was just correcting your point that 'hospitals aren't running out of blood' :smile:

Yeah, I was just pointing out that the FAQs on the website are basically saying that it's a myth that hospitals are low on supplies and that this justifies excluding gay men from giving blood.

I'm only going on what I read.
Reply 62

You beat me to it! :P

I've done it 9 times. My first donation was 11 days after my 17th birthday. I plan on giving blood as long as I'm able to. The fact that I'm potentionally saving a life I think is more than enough grounds for donating. I'm of the mindset that if you can and you're able to, then you should. Of course I'd accept blood, if I'm in a situation where I need it I'm not likely to be turning it down!

I'm also on the organ donar list and bone marrow.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by KeineHeldenMehr
i've given blood and would do again, the donar award scheme" is a good incentive, god i want that decanter!

http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/donor-award-scheme/whole-blood-donor/

A decanter from the National Blood Service? Is it for *vampire accent* vine??
Reply 64
Original post by Swimmer
I wana give blood. I looked at the questions you have to tick and I dont understand how one would know if he is HIV or Hepataitis posative, I mean say someone for sure knows he is clean but in reality he aint and donates blood...or do they do the checks themselfes first?

They take small samples which is excluded from the donation. These are then tested separately for various things, rather than dipping into the donation itself.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
I have my 5th donation booked for the 7th of January :smile:, I'd take some in the event that I needed it too.Giving blood is easy ( for me anyway) because I bleed very quickly according to the blood nurses.Its such a good feeling knowing that my donation has the potential to save 3 lives and I also like the coffee and biccies afterwards. I have asked about platelet donation, but alas I cannot do it because I've had children.....something to do with antibodies buliding up....really cannot remember why exactly.The nurse also said I'm too small....

Anyway, I urge those who can to donate blood.
I've received so can't give. It's a bit nonsensical, but that's life.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by TVC15
They take small samples which is excluded from the donation. These are then tested separately for various things, rather than dipping into the donation itself.

Ah i see. How much blood do they take anyway? Percentage way please.
Original post by rachlala14
I would receive blood if I had an accident, but I wouldn't take anyone else's organs, mainly due to the fact that I myself am not on the Organ Donor register therefore in principle, I feel it would be mean to take someone elses :colondollar:

Out of interest, why aren't you on the register?

And I don't believe you. You're seriously ill. You're in a lot of pain. Your doctor tells you that you need an organ transplant or you will die. You're surrounded by your family in floods of tears at the thought they might lose you. Then the doctor comes in and tells you there's an organ available, this is your one chance to live. Are you seriously saying that you'd turn it down, choosing to live out your last few days/weeks in agony whilst your family and friends are inconsolable at the fact you're choosing to die?
Reply 69
Original post by Swimmer

Ha I don't quite know percentage wise! The donation itself is a little less than a pint and the samples are small, similar to a test tube among I guess. Generally people only feel ill and faint if they've not eaten or drunk enough, not because of the loss of blood.
Original post by Swimmer

The most they can take is 13% of total blood volume. The minimum weight of 50kg is because they donate pretty close to that maximum, so I guess for most people it would be 8-11% or so.
(edited 13 years ago)
I have donated and I will again. Then I know that if I ever need to receive it, I'll 'deserve' it
Reply 72
Original post by Bezzler
Never been allowed to cause I had sex with a guy before I turned 18. Otherwise I would. Stupid law.

How is it consistent that I'm NEVER allowed to give blood, but if I were to have sex with a woman, she'd be allowed to after 12 months? Why does that make sense?

I've given blood once before, and was a bit surprised by the criteria on the form. I'm gay but I've never had sex, so I was allowed, but it still made me feel iffy about it :frown:.

My friends are asking me when I next want to go to a donation session, and I feel awkward about it... like I shouldn't be giving people my blood.

I'm dreading the day I have sex... the fact that I'll NEVER be able to donate again after I do makes me feel really selfish.
Original post by Revd. Mike
Out of interest, why aren't you on the register?

And I don't believe you. You're seriously ill. You're in a lot of pain. Your doctor tells you that you need an organ transplant or you will die. You're surrounded by your family in floods of tears at the thought they might lose you. Then the doctor comes in and tells you there's an organ available, this is your one chance to live. Are you seriously saying that you'd turn it down, choosing to live out your last few days/weeks in agony whilst your family and friends are inconsolable at the fact you're choosing to die?

Believe me, you're not the first person to ask me this...It's just my personal opinion! I don't want anyone to have my organs and I don't want to take anyone's organs - I've thought hard about it for a long time and came to the that conclusion, discussed it with my mother who's a palliative care nurse and have close relatives that have had numerous heart transplants which have been unsuccessful and have been rejected by their body.
It's worse seeing an organ being rejected by someone's body than dying in my opinion - my cousin is just slowly having his life dragged out while his body packs up in between transplants; he's frequently sick, on so many pills morning and night and the doctors say that if he keeps rejecting all the donor hearts he'll probably not live past his twenties, he's about 12 now.

So yeah...may seem selfish at first glance but I just wouldn't accept someone else's organs and I'll not complain if someone else wants them! I've weighed up my options, beliefs and others opinions and decided it's not for me and it doesn't put a dampner on my life or my family's in the slightest :biggrin:
I tried to give blood last week and they wouldn't let me. :frown:

Wish I could do it though as I think it's a really good thing for people to do.
Reply 75
Hi

I do it, can't say i ever really think about why. I started when a friend asked me to go with her. Now i can't stop cos if i don't go, they send me a letter about a cute little girl that will DIE if i don't give blood again ....... lol

............ If they sent me a letter saying a thuggy chav was gonna die if i didn't donate again .......... i'd goto the pub :smile:

ukguy
Original post by kat2pult
What are your views on giving blood? Would you do it? Why wouldn't you? How would you feel receiving other peoples blood if you had an accident?

1. its important
2. yes ahve done before and will do in the future
3. N/A
4. perfectly happy if it kept me alive
I have done it in the past, and will do it in the future, it helps to save lives and it feels like I'm actually doing something worthwhile for others. They really need more people to do it tbh.
Original post by UKguy29
Hi

I do it, can't say i ever really think about why. I started when a friend asked me to go with her. Now i can't stop cos if i don't go, they send me a letter about a cute little girl that will DIE if i don't give blood again ....... lol

............ If they sent me a letter saying a thuggy chav was gonna die if i didn't donate again .......... i'd goto the pub :smile:

ukguy

There is no way of knowing who it will go to matey.
I'd like to give blood one day, but am a bit scared atm. I think it's a good thing. :yep:

As for receiving blood, I would if it saved my life.

Quick Reply