The Student Room Group

my gf said I should take her name if we get married

I was speaking about my double surname thread with her and she said she wanted her name to carry on. She said her surname in her branch of the family was going to die out because she only has sisters so she suggested maybe I should take her name. I dont want to take her name because im the only male in my family so my family name would be in as much trouble as hers is now if I dont pass it on. Im thinking of suggesting that the reason the mans name was passed on was because men were the head of the house in those days so im suggesting that who ever earns the least money at that point should take the others last name. I would also say that if we both agree to the least money system then the person on the bad end of that cant argue with it at the time.

I am right not to agree to do this because my name would be as bad as hers if I did it?
What do you think of the person who earns the least changes idea?

Scroll to see replies

Don't marry her.
Reply 2
as usual you cant defeat the logic behind calculus
calculusman wins it.
Shes talking about getting married and you're worried about your name? :lolwut:
Reply 5
Use both names with a hyphen in the middle. sorted :wink:
I hope you told her where to go.
Reply 7
Who has the coolest sounding sir name? Whichever one it is, pick that one.

Problem solved.

You could even let tsr decide!?
Reply 8
Original post by DOA
I was speaking about my double surname thread with her and she said she wanted her name to carry on. She said her surname in her branch of the family was going to die out because she only has sisters so she suggested maybe I should take her name. I dont want to take her name because im the only male in my family so my family name would be in as much trouble as hers is now if I dont pass it on. Im thinking of suggesting that the reason the mans name was passed on was because men were the head of the house in those days so im suggesting that who ever earns the least money at that point should take the others last name. I would also say that if we both agree to the least money system then the person on the bad end of that cant argue with it at the time.

I am right not to agree to do this because my name would be as bad as hers if I did it?

Why not just go for a double surname or something?
she won't agree to it and even if she did in the spare of the moment it'd just cause arguments in the future. if you don't want to change you name, don't (i wouldn't anyway, you'll get jibes from your friends once they find out) but don't try and persuade her to change hers either. just keep your own.
Reply 10
Guess we know who wears the trousers in this relationship, dont we? :wink:
Reply 11
I would have suggested double surname as others have, but you say that you already have a double surname, and a triple one would be taking it a big far.
Maybe take one half of your surname and double it with hers?

Is it likely that you'll marry in the near future? If not, I wouldn't think about this now! If it is, then as long as you've agreed on something you're both happy with I don't see the problem. I wouldn't personally want to do it by income but it's up to you how you decide.
Why do you need to change names? Why don't you keep your single names. Not usual but completely possible.
Don't do the earnings thing, it'll just cause jealousy from the partner whose not earning as much.
You should definately not take her name, unmanly and would effectively make you a bitch.
Let her keep her name if she wants and you keep yours. Then you can have two kids and give them either surnam. Everyone's a winner!
But really, either get her to double barrell or keep her own. Yours and any kids should have the mans name, its tradition
She's the one wearing the trousers :wink:

Why cant you both keep your names? :s-smilie:

Or come with something where you can emerge them both together eg:

her surname= smith
yours- anderson

(Your name) smith anderson :awesome:
Reply 15
Original post by DOA

Give the b1tch (no offence) a slap for even raising this question.
hmm she must be a transvestite
Reply 17
The both of you just take both names..... compromise......:smile:
Reply 18

This is what happens when women are let loose out of bounds of the kitchen and rest of household.

They get these silly ideas in their heads.

what the **** is the world coming to :frown:
Reply 19
Flip for it, obv take heads

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending