The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Why do some people think that Warwick is 'overrated'?

Just curious..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because it's a relatively new uni, so not as prestigious to people who have no idea what they are talking about. Warwick is one of the best unis in UK for Econ and Math, right after Cambridge and LSE I'd say for undergrad econ along with UCL, and is also very good for Engineering and Law etc and the employers know that. Not 'overrated' at all. Though I'm not sure the location/social scene is the best though, but hey I've never visited.
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Yep, people who don't know what they're talking about think that a 'great university' is one which looks pretty on postcards and has been knocking around for a hundred years at least. Warwick's perceived as an upstart because it's less than fifty years old but has overtaken older universities in terms of prestige and reputation while those universities were sitting back complacently and assuming they'd never be challenged. People in the UK are also fixated on Oxbridge and the Oxbridge model, and to have a university so completely unlike Oxbridge do so well offends their sensibilities and challenges their assumptions; and mediocre people hate to have their assumptions challenged.
Because they didn't get in.
Reply 4
I don't know. I for one visited Warwick and loved it, I preferred it to Durham that's for sure.
Reply 5
Original post by DarkSenrine
People often cite it as one of the top 5 best and reputable universities in the UK; it isn't.

Why not?
Because the top 5 universities are Oxbridge, UCL, ICL and St Andrew's.
You just made LSE cry.
Reply 7
Because the top 5 universities are Oxbridge, UCL, ICL and St Andrew's.

Really? Do you honestly believe that St Andrew's is all that?
LSE should be in that list. And St Andrews? Really???
Reply 9
Original post by userna-me*
LSE should be in that list. And St Andrews? Really???

That prince guy went there so it must be good. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
It's subjective,and unless you've been there, i don't see how someone can say it's overrated :s:

I would say it's definitely top 10, and possibly top 5 depending on the subject :yep:
Reply 11
I would have thought that the quality of a University depended on who teaches there. Thus, if you know who the best lecturers/professors are in the country, that's the best way to judge.
Original post by sabbath_92

Just curious..

Because there are other equal, or better universities that can compete with Warwick (bar Maths) for example Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh etc
Reply 13
Original post by im so academic
Because there are other equal, or better universities that can compete with Warwick (bar Maths) for example Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh etc

For what subjects?
Reply 14
The funny thing is I applied to Warwick but I didn't really pay much attention to it (I didn't even show up to the open day) because I heard the area around Warwick was boring. But look at my location now :biggrin:

Although my decision to turn them down wasn't really anything to do with academic standards. I originally applied because I heard it was one of the top unis, especially for computer science.
Because it's in the middle of nowhere I guess...

By the way, I don't think Warwick is overrated or anything, but don't try and persuade me that it's not in the middle of nowhere. To me, it is.

For what subjects?

Well, I mean it in general.
Reply 17
Original post by im so academic
Well, I mean it in general.

What do you think of UCL in comparison to Warwick?

What do you think of UCL in comparison to Warwick?

Depends on course, but either way you'd be getting a good degree from either institutions.
Reply 19
I might be bias, but it really is a great uni where I think anybody could fit in. Nicest union in the country and the most societies in the UK. Highly regarded by employers. What else could you want?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending