The Student Room Group

my gf said I should take her name if we get married

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by soutioirsim
Shes talking about getting married and you're worried about your name? :lolwut:

you are right.

@thread starter:

but what is the point? I think you are maybe 19 to 20. why do you think about it?????? you are so young. don´t marry the first girl who crosses your ways! and before marrying, please leave the pokemon society........ :biggrin:
Reply 41
A+ thread
You don't have much going for you if your masculinity depends on a few letters. Let her go.
Reply 43
Original post by Potiron
Keep your own names and give girl sprogs her name and boy sprogs yours?

Although that does mean the next generation faces the same problem.

Dont think she would go for that because the point is passing on the name and if all the girls had her name they would have trouble passing it
Reply 44
Just make up a new name for both of you to take.

Who cares if your family name dies out, start your own family name, something fun :awesome:
Reply 45
Put both surnames up and we'll decide for you via poll! :h:
Reply 46
Merge the two names. And i don't mean double-barrel it.

I mean literally, with the names Smith and Cohen you'd make it Smohen. Good eh?
Reply 47
Original post by Crazy Paving
Hopefully you will be able to sort this out when you are mature enough to get married.

I think im being very mature its not like im saying no and telling her women cant pass on their name

Original post by DOA
I think im being very mature its not like im saying no and telling her women cant pass on their name

Same. :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by DOA
Dont think she would go for that because the point is passing on the name and if all the girls had her name they would have trouble passing it

I suppose. Give your first boy sprog her name, and then alternate it from there.
That actually sounds like a good idea. If you agree on it, there shouldn't really be any problems. Tell us how it goes :smile:
Reply 51
@
Original post by Melanie-v
That actually sounds like a good idea. If you agree on it, there shouldn't really be any problems. Tell us how it goes :smile:

She cant say im not being fair and she wouldnt go back on it if she agreed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
Or you both dont take anyones name, and keep it the same?

Then when you have kids, have double surnames.
Reply 53
What is the big deal with "passing on your name"? Unless your name is Xyhsdjflajsaslsdf'sdfja, thousands of people will have your names. There's not even a guarantee it will be passed down through the generations anyway, as who said your children would choose to have children? Or maybe they'd be gay or infertile. Does it actually matter?
Reply 54
Original post by Cicerao
What is the big deal with "passing on your name"? Unless your name is Xyhsdjflajsaslsdf'sdfja, thousands of people will have your names. There's not even a guarantee it will be passed down through the generations anyway, as who said your children would choose to have children? Or maybe they'd be gay or infertile. Does it actually matter?

I just want to know i have done all i can to keep it going
Original post by zxh800
Merge the two names. And i don't mean double-barrel it.

I mean literally, with the names Smith and Cohen you'd make it Smohen. Good eh?

Someone in my years parents did this and he has a lovely name. I think it's a great idea :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by DOA
I just want to know i have done all i can to keep it going

But why?
Keep your own names. Then imply that you are both separately married and having an affair for mild amusement purposes.

If you have children give them a completely new surname. I suggest "Bastard"
Reply 58
Original post by Yawn11
This is what happens when women are let loose out of bounds of the kitchen and rest of household.

They get these silly ideas in their heads.

what the **** is the world coming to :frown:

It's always you recycling that same old line.
Get off TSR and come up with some new material. :colonhash:
Reply 59
Probably going to get negged for this post but I'm going to say it anyway. OP I don't think the earning thing is a good idea as surely the "lesser" partner would feel undervalued and dominated. Of course it's up to you whether you change your name or not. I personally think both of you should decide separately what name you want to have and shouldn't instruct each other either way.

I know it's seen as traditional for a married woman to take her husband's name (though in Scotland it was largely a 19th century invention) but I'm quite shocked by the responses in this thread. To me it seems a bit extreme to suggest dumping her purely for making this suggestion when women are often naturally expected to surrender their own name on marriage. There again I don't think husbands and wives need the same name in order to be committed to each other so I don't see why anyone, whether male or female, would feel so strongly that their partner must have their name.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending