The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karema66
Thank you...gosh your teacher must be fab.Ours haven't done anything and im soo scared now coz i wasn't told about any of the stuff that you wrote. I just keep re-reading. i'm on OCR so i dont think it may be the same but i'll keep your advice in my mind. Good luck hope you do really well...which you probably will.

good luck to you aswell.

Our teacher also asks us to remember to PEE :colondollar: It stands for Point, Evidence, Explain.

Make a point, give a quote to back it up, and explain what effect it has and what it adds to the text as a whole - I promise, you will sail through the exam!

Good luck! xx
Original post by RoseRequiem
Well, we were told by our teacher to do an introductory paragraph outlining a bit of context of the text you were going to write about; a paragraph on form; a paragraph on structure; a paragraph on language; and a concluding paragraph.

BUT this is exactly what I did for my exam and came out with a B. Since then we have completed two past papers in class which have been marked and came out as A's, and for those, I basically kept 'form, structure, language' in my head - but also thought about what effect these added to the text, to what purpose they would serve, and how a modern reader of our time would react compared to the reception of the readers of that time.

I implore you to purchase a copy of the AS English Literature B revision guide written specifically for the AQA exam, because it explains things like: narrative voice; destination; characters; etc in much greater detail and that is exactly what the examiners are looking for.

Good luck!!

My teacher said to do a paragraph on setting too because apparently that gains a mark or two.
Reply 62
I got about 90% UMS last june... Grade boundaries tend to be low ish... but the examiners seem really inconsistent from candidate to candidate. I requested mine back just to see it and for some reason (whoevers mistake it was) it got remarked to a couple marks up but the section A essay went from something stupidly low to a middleish marked and they knocked down section B a bit to make up for it.

From their actual comments on the script, you have to literally write simple and make a clear cut quote and then analyse it. A couple quotes I put in I didn't analyse too much or left hanging a bit which got commented on, on the side. For some they put 'possible interpretation' which I personally thought was thick as an interpretation is an interpretation. Also a couple 'interesting but undeveloped's so my advice would be to finish every point and go pretty in deep about them. I'd say my essays were quite simple too, like a paragraph about the setting (as someone said above) etc.

Happy to answer any q's ppl have (if any :P) Mind you I'm no expert, just been there and done it :P
Reply 63

I implore you to purchase a copy of the AS English Literature B revision guide written specifically for the AQA exam

Good luck!!

Could you please give me a link to a site where I could buy this? I searched for it and it came up with loads of different books :s-smilie:...

Thanks!:biggrin:
Reply 64
Original post by Liam_G
Could you please give me a link to a site where I could buy this? I searched for it and it came up with loads of different books :s-smilie:...

I don't think the book is worth the money personally... apart from the actual 6 building blocks of narrative it introduces, all the examples are about other texts so you can't use it that well. One small pg was relevant to my books... I think just the 6 titles would be enough to get the marks cause you'd know what to look for and comment on.
Reply 65
I got marked a C in the exam, but my coursework was an A, so my overall mark was a B. :frown:

I'm still resitting though.

I was gutted with that mark... someone else in my class who put no effort in whatsoever (didn't even read the novels) got a D! I've seen their work and their analysis is just vague and shallow, you can tell they haven't studied properly... I know I sound like a bitch... but it's true :biggrin:. I hope I get a better mark this time around.

This may sound like a bit of a stupid question, but my Teacher didn't really focus on exactly how to answer the question, what are the examiners looking for? Is there a specific way that I should structure my points?

Thanks!
Reply 66
Original post by Liam_G
I got marked a C in the exam, but my coursework was an A, so my overall mark was a B. :frown:

I'm still resitting though.

I was gutted with that mark... someone else in my class who put no effort in whatsoever (didn't even read the novels) got a D! I've seen their work and their analysis is just vague and shallow, you can tell they haven't studied properly... I know I sound like a bitch... but it's true :biggrin:. I hope I get a better mark this time around.

This may sound like a bit of a stupid question, but my Teacher didn't really focus on exactly how to answer the question, what are the examiners looking for? Is there a specific way that I should structure my points?

Thanks!

I'm so jealous of your B :|
This was quoted in the other thread -
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=873067
It's quite good, although the OP seems to suggest Section A, Question A is a comparison, and to my knowledge it's normally chapter/poem related?
Reply 67
Original post by esachica
I'm so jealous of your B :|
This was quoted in the other thread -
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=873067
It's quite good, although the OP seems to suggest Section A, Question A is a comparison, and to my knowledge it's normally chapter/poem related?

I know a B wasn't bad (I was only predicted a C), but my teacher said she expected me to get an A because I tried really hard with it. A B was fine, but I did want to re-sit.... and thought my teacher wouldn't let me since I surpassed my prediction, but she was all for it. :biggrin:

Yeah, Section A Question A is usually chapter specific (last year I did the Kite Runner question on the chapter where Baba died).

I have already seen that thread and copied that post into a word document to print off :tongue: :wink: Thanks though.
Reply 68

Our teacher also asks us to remember to PEE :colondollar: It stands for Point, Evidence, Explain.

Make a point, give a quote to back it up, and explain what effect it has and what it adds to the text as a whole - I promise, you will sail through the exam!

Good luck! xx

yeah i must remember to PEE all over my work lol
thanks for the help

good luckxx
Original post by Liam_G

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-English-Literature-AS-Students/dp/0748782885
Reply 70
Original post by tripodd

Original post by tripodd
I got about 90% UMS last june... Grade boundaries tend to be low ish... but the examiners seem really inconsistent from candidate to candidate. I requested mine back just to see it and for some reason (whoevers mistake it was) it got remarked to a couple marks up but the section A essay went from something stupidly low to a middleish marked and they knocked down section B a bit to make up for it.

From their actual comments on the script, you have to literally write simple and make a clear cut quote and then analyse it. A couple quotes I put in I didn't analyse too much or left hanging a bit which got commented on, on the side. For some they put 'possible interpretation' which I personally thought was thick as an interpretation is an interpretation. Also a couple 'interesting but undeveloped's so my advice would be to finish every point and go pretty in deep about them. I'd say my essays were quite simple too, like a paragraph about the setting (as someone said above) etc.

Happy to answer any q's ppl have (if any :P) Mind you I'm no expert, just been there and done it :P

Hey

you dont by any chance have any exam questions on gatsby apart from the one's on the exam board website that you could send me?? please *puppy eyes*
im doin ocr english re-sit,,,wilfred owen and gatsby. oh yeah and my teacher made a similar point to you about making really indepth points. does that mean learning quotatiosn where you can make three interpreations from and linking it to themes/motifs,characters or critical points.

easier said than done i must say

please reply:smile: help much needed
Reply 71
Out of interest, for people studying The Great Gatsby how would you answer this question:

"If the characters of the novel have a collective flaw, it is that they are possessed by an innate need for their ambitions to be realised, and an irrational hatred of the world when they are not.

With close reference to the text, discuss the validity of this statement"

Personally, I have no idea :| It's not a question I made up, just one I found in a revision resource.
Reply 72
Hey

you dont by any chance have any exam questions on gatsby apart from the one's on the exam board website that you could send me?? please *puppy eyes*
im doin ocr english re-sit,,,wilfred owen and gatsby. oh yeah and my teacher made a similar point to you about making really indepth points. does that mean learning quotatiosn where you can make three interpreations from and linking it to themes/motifs,characters or critical points.

easier said than done i must say

please reply:smile: help much needed

I actually did AQA, not OCR but some questions:

Spoiler

I don't necessarily think three interpretations, I'd say 2 interpretations is enough for one point cause you'd probably end up going off on a tangent or run out of time and not mention enough 'main points'. And obviously every point wont need a different interpretation, but linking the points to maybe future/past events in the book or themes like you say... bringing in context and critical opinions. I didn't actually bother to learn any critics, but it's acceptable to just say in the exam 'Some critics believe... <point>'. And I guess you could even make up the critique too... And remember your opinion counts too, I remember in my final essay (the one critical opinions were required, but I'm not sure on OCR) I had one critique against argument which I said I disagreed with, another for which I agreed with and probably 2 of my own opinions in conjunction with all the analysis and contexts.
Reply 73
Out of interest, for people studying The Great Gatsby how would you answer this question:

"If the characters of the novel have a collective flaw, it is that they are possessed by an innate need for their ambitions to be realised, and an irrational hatred of the world when they are not.

With close reference to the text, discuss the validity of this statement"

Personally, I have no idea :| It's not a question I made up, just one I found in a revision resource.

Hmm, I don't like Section A part b questions!
I'd start by working out what each of a few characters ambitions are. Gatsby's is obviously to get Daisy, but I can't think what the others' would be right now. Then I'd think about whether they do have an irrational hatred of the world before they realise their ambition. I would not like a question like that to come up though.
Reply 74
Original post by Mizikei
Hmm, I don't like Section A part b questions!
I'd start by working out what each of a few characters ambitions are. Gatsby's is obviously to get Daisy, but I can't think what the others' would be right now. Then I'd think about whether they do
have an irrational hatred of the world before they realise their ambition. I would not like a question like that to come up though.

Me neither, it seems so ambiguous, and so very AQA's style! Much prefer Section A Part A :| I really do need to sit down and figure out what chapters might come up and prepare answers for them...
Reply 75
Me neither, it seems so ambiguous, and so very AQA's style! Much prefer Section A Part A :| I really do need to sit down and figure out what chapters might come up and prepare answers for them...

I've emailed my teacher about how to revise Section A part B (more specifically for Gatsby). If he emails back anything useful I'll pass it on.
Reply 76
Original post by Mizikei
I've emailed my teacher about how to revise Section A part B (more specifically for Gatsby). If he emails back anything useful I'll pass it on.

Muchas Gracias! :biggrin:
Reply 77
Original post by tripodd

Original post by tripodd
I actually did AQA, not OCR but some questions:

Spoiler

I don't necessarily think three interpretations, I'd say 2 interpretations is enough for one point cause you'd probably end up going off on a tangent or run out of time and not mention enough 'main points'. And obviously every point wont need a different interpretation, but linking the points to maybe future/past events in the book or themes like you say... bringing in context and critical opinions. I didn't actually bother to learn any critics, but it's acceptable to just say in the exam 'Some critics believe... &lt;point&gt;'. And I guess you could even make up the critique too... And remember your opinion counts too, I remember in my final essay (the one critical opinions were required, but I'm not sure on OCR) I had one critique against argument which I said I disagreed with, another for which I agreed with and probably 2 of my own opinions in conjunction with all the analysis and contexts.

Thank you sooo much for the questions and advice. Cheers!!!
Reply 78
Thank you sooo much for the questions and advice. Cheers!!!

No worries, gl with the exam. :]
Reply 79
Personally I find Section A Part B quite difficult so have collected together some questions for The Great Gatsby that people might want to make plans/prepare for that could help :smile: These aren't my own work by the way! :

“In each case the egos of the different characters conflict with the social propriety that governs their society.”
With close reference to the text, discuss the validity of this statement.

“This is a novel in which the tension between the internal and external lives of the characters is as much a contrast as East Egg and the Valley of Ashes”

“The Great Gatsby is about more than just the decadence of the characters; it is a showcase for Fitzgerald’s learned decadence from the heady days of the New York Jazz Age.”

“If the characters of the novel have a collective flaw, it is that they are possessed by an innate need for their ambitions to be realised, and an irrational hatred of the world when they are not.”

“In the Great Gatsby, the American Dream, represents a moral barometer for the people of the East and West Egg”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending