The Student Room Group

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wookie42
However, to get into a decent job related to gaming you need a CS degree since the quality of a CS graduate is far higher than someone who has done a video game course.

Are you doing CS? - you're not advertising your own quality very well imo.
Second chance to read...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6829650.ece
I think you've missed out 90% of the conversation we were having - I was only making the point that having a 'gaming' degree won't get you into a 'gaming' job easily, whereas a CS degree would. I didn't mean to say specific jobs only allowed for one kind of degree graduate to have a chance at all.

Ah ok, then I appologise :colondollar:
Original post by Joinedup
Are you doing CS? - you're not advertising your own quality very well imo.
Second chance to read...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6829650.ece

I'm not doing CS, and did you honestly think I was going to bother reading the three thousand word article you've linked to?
Reply 223
Original post by Picnic1
The word 'game' is a problem to them gaining respect. Yet 'game theory', which is dubiously associated with military tactics (even though war has few rules) or chess (which has cleatly defined rules) does have respect. So why shouldn't videogames?

Can't tell if you're serious or not ...
Original post by no-fat-chicks
I agree, my dad went to a polytechnic and now he's earning top notch monez

I guess it depends on your aptitude for learning and determination

Dont let them fool you, polytechnics were not bad on the whole...
Some of the best designers, engineers and architects went to them...
Original post by lonelykatana
Lets be honest mate, almost everyone on TSR has no idea what so ever what polytechnics taught, were for or even their reputation at the time....

Your fully correct, but I cant help but feeling pointing out the truth is a losing battle...

I think you will find that there are quite a few dinosaurs posting who know exactly what polytechnics taught (and frankly I can remember before most polytechnics were polytechnics) and the various issues which led to them becoming universities.
I'm not doing CS, and did you honestly think I was going to bother reading the three thousand word article you've linked to?

You don't come across as much of a reader tbh.
Reply 227
Game related courses are not respected by employers because of the content of the degree

Do you agree that if the content was improved then there is no reason why it couldn't be as respected (purely as an arts degree) as BA English. There are many poor videogames but there are many poor books. It's a matter of examining the best in as thorough a way as possible.

It took until the turn of the 20th century for English to be a subject in its own right and it also wasn't respected to start with.
Reply 228
Original post by Peel
Can't tell if you're serious or not ...

Yes I am. Do you have any suggestion as to why not to take it seriously?
:tongue:
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Everything with "metropolitan" in the name.

Anything that is the name of a proper university with another random word put on; "Oxford Brookes" "Southampton Solent" "Nottingham Trent" etc.

Yep totally agree!
Some of the courses taught at the universities lower down on the league tables really benefit people, quite a few snobs on this forum.
Reply 231
Original post by Picnic1
Yes I am. Do you have any suggestion as to why not to take it seriously?

I daresay if you knew about game theory, you would be drawing such a comparison. But perhaps I've misinterpretted you: are you really saying A) game theory is respected, B) both game theory and game design courses have the word 'game' in them, therefore C) game design courses should be respected? I accept this is a simplification but that's the way your post reads.
On a world wide level, no, not a single UK uni is bad.
Any uni that I'm So Academic disapproves of...

So all of them but two :colonhash:
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
thames valley and any other universities that have entry requirements on some courses of EE.

if a student has basically failed their A'levels, there is no way they should be allowed to waste taxpayers money having even more education at a higher level. so any university that lets them do that is obviously run terribly

And on what earth have you heard of universities that give people entry to a course with EE? :LOLWUT:

My mum got a BA (hons) in Business Studies and she isn't exactly the dimmest bulb in the pack let's put it that way. Although she says it was better several years aback then it is now though.
Original post by Diminutive
Because it has an average entry requirement of 180 ucas points. Garbage in, Garbage out. Simples.

That is the equivalent of 3 D grades at A Level. Sorry but what uni let's people in with DDD at A Level. Are the admission tutor's retarded?? :lolwut:
Reply 235
Original post by Smack
Do you actually have a list that can be verified, because I'm getting an overriding feeling that you're pulling things out of your arse, and the fact that you're being deliberately vague about specific engineering related firms (which is what we're discussing here) also adds to this suspicion.

I wasn't talking specifically about engg firms, I was talking about engineering grads and top firms(in general, not just engg ones) that recruit at Edinburgh.
I'm sorry, but any uni that has EE requirements cannot, by definition, be defined as good.
Reply 237
Original post by Peel
I daresay if you knew about game theory, you would be drawing such a comparison. But perhaps I've misinterpretted you: are you really saying A) game theory is respected, B) both game theory and game design courses have the word 'game' in them, therefore C) game design courses should be respected? I accept this is a simplification but that's the way your post reads.

I meant to make a 'reading between the lines' argument as such.
I actually disrespect the application of game theory to 'real world scenarios' (like that ludicrous anaology in A Beautiful Mind, as if the preferences of women in a bar can be judged like a game without their reactions to the 'player' coming in to it). How can complicated war, which has no rules (apart from conventions which can be flouted) be equated with the idea of being a game (when a game has set rules)?

It makes more sense to apply game theory to just games, like board games and videogames.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beth Angharad
So there are only 50 'good' universities in the whole of the UK?
Okay, then.

Yes, and they get progressively worse after the number one uni.............because it is a table :eek:.

Original post by TheSownRose
What about Robert Gordon? Below 50 on one league table, above on another.

For it to be below number 50 it is doing something very wrong regardless of what table.

Original post by jblackmoustache
Anyone who doesn't realise that university is a place where you study freemarket capitalism from the angle of your chosen subject is going to fail and struggle. University is NO place for employees. It's a place for entreprenurs. That's why university is a scam (but with all due respect). These institutions cannot exist unless people are in debt. University is an amazing place though where poor/lower working class people can work their way out of the struggle and gain the knowledge in order to lead their communities out of oppression. You gotta TAKE ADVANTAGE of every opportunity and get everything you're entitled to.

There are better universities around, but to pass a university off as total crap is just ig'nant and total snobbery.

......you have utterly missed the point of a university.
University is an investment - an investment into an elitist academic system which will entitle you to a better job.
It is that simple.
Reply 239
Original post by KingMessi
I'm sorry, but any uni that has EE requirements cannot, by definition, be defined as good.

:lolwut:

I think either you need to learn what "by definition" means, or learn the definition of "good." Granted, I don't read the dictionary often, but I don't recall "good" being defined as "not having EE requirements."

Quick Reply

Latest