The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Hi, My AES changed at the end of november saying my application has been received by a college.
4 weeks later and I still haven't heard back. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice? Thanks
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1961
Original post by sarah92_x
Hi I've been given an offer by St. Mary's college. I am very keen to keep my music going whilst I am at Durham and I was wondering whether you could tell me what the music groups are and what they are like. (I have looked on the website but struggled to find much!) Also how many practise rooms does St. Mary's have?

Hey, applying to St Mary's as well :smile: What did you apply for?
Anyone know the best way of getting to Durham? I saw a train from my nearest station would take 3 and a half hours and is £80 return, worth it?
Original post by sarah92_x
Hi I've been given an offer by St. Mary's college. I am very keen to keep my music going whilst I am at Durham and I was wondering whether you could tell me what the music groups are and what they are like. (I have looked on the website but struggled to find much!) Also how many practise rooms does St. Mary's have?

Ditto!
Lets talk music :smile:
I think we can set up our own groups
My Dad looked round the college and said there was a brass group there and people set up their own groups, not sure about official ensembles though
What do you play/sing?
14 October... ages ago! It says on aes that it is at the department but not been sent to a college... I suppose no news is good news.. but I'm still dying waiting!
Reply 1965
Original post by profi_log
Offer for PPE, but I haven't been allocated to any college yet, anyone in the same situation?

Me!
I got my offer on December 6th and STILL have no college! :s-smilie: I guess they've all gone away for Christmas now so we won't hear anything until January.
I applied for University though so it was a bit of a long-shot, but I'd like to know where I'll be living...
Original post by Elf.
Hey everyone!

Course: PPE
College: Hild Bede
Status of application: Waiting...

Who's heard anything?
xx

Ahh that's so reassuring! I haven't heard anything either :frown:
On the AES when your application has been sent to the college, is that when you've got an offer d'ya know?

I know a couple of people who got offers, but they were open applications so I odn't know if that makes a difference?
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Anyone know the best way of getting to Durham? I saw a train from my nearest station would take 3 and a half hours and is £80 return, worth it?

You could try getting the Megabus to Newcastle, and then getting a train from Newcastle to Durham. It'll take longer than going by train, but will be a lot cheaper.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Us3rname
Well, see, this is the thing. I'm only applying to HYP. If I got one of them (full bursary) how would you view that in comparison with Durham and Cambridge for law? Hypothetically speaking.

I personally would take Cambridge for law over HYP. Would take HP over Durham. I'd really have to think about it for Y. Would your major be math and science based? If so I would only take HP. If social sciences and humanities then HYP. What are your career interests/goals? I might be able to paint a better picture for you.
Original post by MrGumby
You could try getting the Megabus to Newcastle, and then getting a train from Newcastle to Durham. It'll take longer than taking a train, but will be a lot cheaper.

Thanks, thats a good idea, I'll look into that :smile:
I hope to get an offer from Durham, but from seeing some of the maths rejects, it's really unlikely :frown:
Original post by cpdavis
I hope to get an offer from Durham, but from seeing some of the maths rejects, it's really unlikely :frown:

:s-smilie: I wasn't aware of these rejections. Look on the bright side, at least they're still considering you :smile:
Applied for V100 History on the 4th November, still had nothing more than in department. Losing faith, would anyone suggest emailing them ? Or should i just wait it out.
Original post by Us3rname
Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking to be honest. Would definitely be majoring in social sciences/humanities, probably something like politics or IR, before doing a law degree either in US or England. Beyond that, career-wise I'm considering the foreign office, politics, journalism or law.

What about you? Definitely looking to go into law?

Okay if you know you are going to go into law then Cambridge/Durham for sure imo. If you can get a high second/first from either of those, you are pretty much guaranteed a TC. A 4 year US undergrad wouldn't do a thing for you.

Yeah, I'm definitely going into law--main reason why I didn't bother applying to too many schools in the US. I would've majored in political science...so nothing that was worth 4 years on top of a law degree.
Durham is my favourite.. but i'm pretty much happy wherever I go :biggrin: uni sounds amazing. I've got offers from Exeter and Surrey:smile:, still waiting on Durham and Warwick.. and was recently rejected from Oxford:mad:

and you?
Original post by Mfreeman.
Applied for V100 History on the 4th November, still had nothing more than in department. Losing faith, would anyone suggest emailing them ? Or should i just wait it out.

Nothing to lose faith about, it really is very early days, esp. with an application sent in November. The department will have had lorry loads arriving before yours because of the Oxbridge deadline.

I was moved to college last year on Dec 29th (!) but only got an offer in Feb. The previous year, a schoolfriend with all the top grades finally got an offer in March.

Personally, I wouldn't e-mail; it can't do any good and may well annoy.

I sent mine on the 7th of September and am still in department :tongue:
Just wait it out, you'll only be wasting their time if you email them.
Reply 1977

Applied 22nd October... Nada. Wait it out, it may be worth it.
Anyone heard for Economics and Politics(LL12) yet? Still Waiting here :frown:
Reply 1979
Original post by africansky
Hey, I applied for zoology too and havnt heard anything back yet, and on AES it hasnt been accepted by a college. Please let me know how it goes, I dont know anyone whos got an offer from durham. what college did you apply for?

Will definitely let you know how it goes and if you hear anything could you tell me please. It's pretty gutting not hearing anything from the unis when all my mates are getting offers, some have all 5 :frown: I applied for St. Mary's, you?

Latest

Trending

Trending